Polarization of Electromagnetic Wave and Faraday's Law of Induction

In summary, the conversation discusses using Faraday's Law of Induction to estimate the amplitude of the emf induced on an antenna from an electromagnetic wave traveling in the z direction, polarized in the x direction, with a frequency of 1 MHz and average power density of 1 W/m^2. The solution involves computing the H field using Poynting's theorem and then using Faraday's Law to determine the induced emf. The conversation also addresses errors in the solution and clarifies that the induced emf would be zero if the loop normal and magnetic field are not aligned.
sandy.bridge

Homework Statement

Hey guys. I have an electromagnetic wave traveling in the z direction and polarized in the x direction. The frequency is 1 MHz and average power density is 1 W/m^2. An antenna in the shape of a circular wire is in the xy-plane centred at the origin. I would like to use Faraday's Law of Induction to estimate the amplitude of the emf induced on antenna from the wave passing through it. Assume the radius is 1cm, and that the wavelength of the electromagnetic wave is much larger than this.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since it is polarized in the x-direction I can assume [itex]\vec{E}=E_oe^{j(ωt-kz)}\vec{x}[/itex].

Therefore, [itex]\vec{H}=\frac{\vec{∇}×\vec{E}}{-jμ_oω}=\frac{E_o}{120π}e^{j(ωt-kz)}\vec{y}[/itex]

Since [itex]<\vec{S}>=0.5Re[\vec{E}×\vec{H^*}]=1W/m^2\vec{z}[/itex], I get [itex]E_o=\sqrt{2}[/itex]

From here I get that the induced emf is [itex]-μ_o \int_S ∂\vec{H}/∂t . d\vec{S}[/itex]

which I crunched to be [itex]\frac{-μ_o \sqrt{2}jω(0.0001π)e^{j(ωt-kz)}}{120π}[/itex]

I have never encountered this when the magnetic field has complex components. Would I merely take the real component (hence the sine term), or have I messed up somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
I found some errors in this. Eo should have came out to sqrt(240pi) and the magnetic wave should have been sqrt(240pi)/(120pi)e^(j(wt-kz)) in the y direction.

My question is this:
since the magnetic field component of the electromagnetic wave is in the y direction and the ring of wire is situated in the xy plane, would the induced emf not be zero?

sandy.bridge said:
I found some errors in this. Eo should have came out to sqrt(240pi) and the magnetic wave should have been sqrt(240pi)/(120pi)e^(j(wt-kz)) in the y direction.

My question is this:
since the magnetic field component of the electromagnetic wave is in the y direction and the ring of wire is situated in the xy plane, would the induced emf not be zero?

Yes. The H field needs to point in the direction of the loop normal or at least have a component along the normal. Since H has only a y component, the loop normal should also point along the y direction. So it can't be in the x-y plane since then the loop normal is along z.

Otherwise your approach is OK. Use Poynting to compute H. There should be no complex numbers involved. Then use faraday' s induction law.

What is polarization of an electromagnetic wave?

Polarization of an electromagnetic wave refers to the direction of the electric field component of the wave. This direction can be either linear, circular, or elliptical, and determines the orientation of the wave as it travels through space.

How does polarization affect the behavior of light?

The polarization of light can affect how it interacts with materials and how it is transmitted and reflected. For example, polarized sunglasses use a filter to block out horizontally polarized light, reducing glare and improving visibility.

What is Faraday's Law of Induction?

Faraday's Law of Induction states that when a conductor is placed in a changing magnetic field, a current will be induced in the conductor.

How is Faraday's Law of Induction applied in everyday technology?

Faraday's Law of Induction is the basis for many technological devices such as generators, transformers, and motors. It is also used in wireless charging and electromagnetic induction cooktops.

Can Faraday's Law of Induction be used to generate electricity?

Yes, Faraday's Law of Induction is the principle behind the generation of electricity in power plants. A rotating magnet inside a coil of wire creates a changing magnetic field, which induces a current in the wire that can be used as electricity.