Difference between only if and if and only if

• Thread starter ainster31
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, "only if" and "if and only if" have different meanings in logic. "Only if" means that q is a necessary condition for p, while "if and only if" means that q is both a necessary and sufficient condition for p. This is represented in logic as p only if q (q implies p) and p if and only if q (p is equivalent to q).
ainster31
Difference between "only if" and "if and only if"

$$1.\quad p\quad if\quad q\\ \equiv if\quad q\quad then\quad p\\ \equiv q\rightarrow p\\ \\$$$$2.\quad p\quad only\quad if\quad q\\ \equiv if\quad p\quad then\quad q\\ \equiv p\rightarrow q\\ \\$$$$3.\quad p\quad only\quad if\quad q\\ \equiv if\quad q\quad then\quad p\\ \equiv q\rightarrow p\\ \\$$$$4.\quad p\quad iff\quad q\\ \equiv (p\rightarrow q)\wedge (q\rightarrow p)$$

I think #3 is wrong but I'm not sure why.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, #3 is wrong. The second line says if q, then p, but we know that p may only occur when q does from the first line.

If q, then p allows p to occur without q.

p only if q
⇔ q if p.
So the first line in (3) does not imply the second line.

I watch the "Teletubbies" show only if I have a TV. I have a TV, but I would rather tear out my eyes than watch Teletubbies. So p only if q is not the same as q implies p.

1. What is the difference between "only if" and "if and only if" in scientific research?

"Only if" is a conditional statement that indicates that a certain outcome will only occur if a specific condition is met. "If and only if" is a biconditional statement that indicates a necessary and sufficient condition for a certain outcome to occur.

2. How are "only if" and "if and only if" used in hypothesis testing?

In hypothesis testing, "only if" is used to state the null hypothesis, while "if and only if" is used to state the alternative hypothesis.

3. Can "only if" and "if and only if" be used interchangeably in scientific writing?

No, "only if" and "if and only if" have different meanings and cannot be used interchangeably. "If and only if" is a stronger statement and implies a two-way relationship, while "only if" only implies a one-way relationship.

4. How do you determine when to use "only if" or "if and only if" in experimental design?

The choice between "only if" and "if and only if" in experimental design depends on the specific research question and the conditions being tested. "Only if" is used when the researcher wants to test a specific condition's effect on the outcome, while "if and only if" is used when the researcher wants to test a necessary and sufficient condition for the outcome to occur.

5. Are there any common misconceptions about the use of "only if" and "if and only if" in scientific discourse?

One common misconception is that "only if" and "if and only if" can be used interchangeably. Another misconception is that "if and only if" always implies a cause-and-effect relationship, when in fact it can also indicate a necessary and sufficient condition for an outcome to occur.