Connecting a Dual Jack Headphone to Standard Size Jack

• Thread starter exequor
  • Start date
In summary: Have you tried plugging them into a different device? Sometimes things will work better when you plug them into a different device. Anyway, keep trying different things until you find something that works. In summary, the headphone was cut off in flight, and it was unclear what type of jack it uses. The wires were blue, red, and copper/bronze. The blue and red wires were connected together, and then the copper/bronze wire was connected to ground. When the modified line was tested, it did not work. It is possible that the wiring is incorrect, or that the headphone needs to be plugged into a different device to work.
exequor
I have a headphone from an airplane (those with the dual jacks) and I cut off that jack and I am trying to put on one of the standard size jacks (those on cd players, etc). the thing is when i cut both i saw a blue, a red and a copper/bronze wire (or group of wires). So I connected them and tested the modified line while not allowing them to come in contact with each other and I cannot get it to work.

I know that the headphone works because I tried it at the back of my computer where the input port and output port lie close and one side was playing; that is understandable since each jack on these dual jack headphones is responsible for an audio channel or side of the headphone.

Is there something else that i didn't take into consideration or would this even work?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It sounds like they obfuscated their headphone connections on purpose to discourage people from stealing them, yes?

You should probably open the earcups and see how the speakers are wired.

The "copper/bronze group of wires" you mentioned is probably the braided shield surrounding the red and blue insulated wires. The shield is normally connected to ground, and is also connected to the lowest, larger part of the phono plug. The two red (or blue) wires should be connected together, then also connected to ground. The remaining two red (or blue) wires carry your left and right channel signals. You may find that the sound quality is better when using one color of wires for the audio signals versus the other; the speakers are probably optimized for one polarity.

- Warren

I've done everything that you've said and it still doesn't work, I'll give it another shot at though.

Well, open the earcups and check the wiring yourself.

- Warren

I did open the earcups and all I've seen is the same connection as most headphones only that it had a series connection to the left side from the right side (the wire from the jack only goes to the right side).

Can you use an voltmeter to make sure the speakers are connected normally? And they're the correct resistance? Most speakers are 2 or 4 ohms (when driven by audio frequency AC, I'm not sure of the frequency) -- it's possible the airline uses odd high-resistance speakers and large voltages to drive them or something.

- Warren

I would look at that; at the moment I am suffering from a shortage of tools, I'll see what I can do. It seems like the airline has done some unusual things to deter folks from stealing their headphones.

1. Can I connect my dual jack headphone to a standard size jack?

Yes, as long as your headphone has a 3.5mm dual jack and the device you are connecting to has a standard 3.5mm headphone jack, you can connect them together.

2. How do I know if my headphone has a dual jack or a standard jack?

The dual jack has two black rings around the metal tip, while the standard jack has only one black ring. You can also check the manual of your headphone or contact the manufacturer for more information.

3. What if my headphone has a different size dual jack?

If your headphone has a different size dual jack, you will need an adapter to connect it to a standard size jack. Adapters can be found at most electronic stores.

4. Will connecting a dual jack headphone to a standard size jack affect the sound quality?

No, it should not affect the sound quality as long as both jacks are functioning properly. However, using an adapter may slightly decrease the sound quality.

5. Can I use a standard size headphone with a device that has a dual jack?

Yes, you can use a standard size headphone with a device that has a dual jack by using an adapter that converts the standard jack to a dual jack.