Solve Source Transformation Homework: V=3.35V, R=228.19kΩ

In summary, the conversation is about a circuit problem involving resistors and voltage sources. The participants discuss the steps they took to solve the problem and clarify any misunderstandings. They use Thevenin and Norton equivalents to simplify the circuit and determine the correct values for voltage and resistance. Despite some initial difficulties, they are eventually able to solve the problem with the help of gneill.
dwn

Homework Statement

Image Attached

Homework Equations

Ohm's

The Attempt at a Solution

Combined the two resistors in series : 250 + 550 = 800 kΩ
Source Transformation (Current Source): V = 140,000(2*10^-6)= 0.28 V
Combine the voltage sources : 6 - 0.28 = 5.72 V

But then I recreated the circuit with these figures and it just doesn't appear correct to me.
Voltage source = 5.72 V
Resistor = 800 + 140 = 940kΩ

Ans: V = 3.35 V R = 228.19 kΩ

I don't see how they're getting these figures.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-13 at 3.18.43 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-03-13 at 3.18.43 PM.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 511
Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone please explain to me what is going on here?

The 250 k and 550 k resistors are not in series: there's another connection at the node where they join (the 1300 k resistor) so they cannot be in series.

Your transformation of the 140 k resistor and 2 uA source to a voltage source (Thevenin equivalent) is fine, and combining it with the 6 V source to yield a net 5.720 V source is good too. What's the Thevenin resistance for that new combined source?

Your next step should be to incorporate the 550 k resistor, so another Thevenin equivalent voltage and resistance should result. You should end up with the original -11 V source, the 1300 k resistor and the new Thevenin resistance and voltage all in series.

The steps are summarized in the following figure. Working from right to left, convert and combine/incorporate components into Thevenin equivalent models as you go:

attachment.php?attachmentid=67598&stc=1&d=1394751908.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    4 KB · Views: 774
Likes 1 person
gneill, thank you very much for the clear and concise explanation. However, I do have a question...I thought that we were supposed to create a "black box" and create an open circuit at the end (the node where the 250 and 550 R meet) which would make them in series...apparently this is not the case and I misunderstood.
Do you alway start from the outside and work your way towards the center?

dwn said:
gneill, thank you very much for the clear and concise explanation. However, I do have a question...I thought that we were supposed to create a "black box" and create an open circuit at the end (the node where the 250 and 550 R meet) which would make them in series...apparently this is not the case and I misunderstood.
Do you alway start from the outside and work your way towards the center?

You work in the direction that achieves your goal :smile: I know that doesn't seem to help much... But in this case you are apparently looking to find the power dissipated by the 1300 k resistor so you know that you need to leave that one alone --- you can't transform it away into the guts of an equivalent circuit (Thevenin or Norton) because then you couldn't write any equations about it to find current or voltage for it; once you transform-away a component it becomes inaccessible to further analysis. So leaving it alone, you look towards the rest of the circuit. Most of it lies to the right of the 1300 k resistor, so you start at the far end and work back. That usually works well as a general approach.

My apologies for the poor quality in the photo. Where have I gone wrong in this problem? Still not arriving at the correct solution.

Note: all resistors are kΩ

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-13 at 8.41.24 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-03-13 at 8.41.24 PM.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 514
dwn said:
My apologies for the poor quality in the photo. Where have I gone wrong in this problem? Still not arriving at the correct solution.

Note: all resistors are kΩ

In your second step:

attachment.php?attachmentid=67609&stc=1&d=1394758246.gif

you've opted to transform to a Norton equivalent, but didn't include the 140 k resistance that is also in series with the voltage source. That means you would end up with something like this instead:

attachment.php?attachmentid=67610&stc=1&d=1394758606.gif

In this problem you have the option of just sticking with Thevenin equivalents all the way through.

Attachments

• Fig2.gif
    Fig2.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 563
  • Fig3.gif
    Fig3.gif
    2 KB · Views: 588
I was able to figure out the resistors and come up with the correct Rx -- what method are they using to find the voltage?

I apologize for the series of questions with this problem, but circuits are not coming easily for me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-13 at 9.51.32 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-03-13 at 9.51.32 PM.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 474
dwn said:
I was able to figure out the resistors and come up with the correct Rx -- what method are they using to find the voltage?
Well, your thumbnail diagram shows a classic voltage divider scenario... that would yield the Thevenin voltage for that subcircuit.

I apologize for the series of questions with this problem, but circuits are not coming easily for me.
No worries, that's why we're here :smile:

Likes 1 person
Fantastic! Love it when this works. Starting the journey is a pain in the butt though.

Thanks for the help gneill

1. What is source transformation and why is it used?

Source transformation is a technique used in circuit analysis to simplify a circuit by transforming voltage sources into current sources or vice versa. It is used to make the calculations and analysis of complex circuits easier and more efficient.

2. How do you perform source transformation?

To perform source transformation, you need to follow the following steps:

1. Identify the voltage source and the resistor connected in series to it.
  2. Calculate the equivalent resistance of the resistor using Ohm's Law (R = V/I).
  3. Replace the voltage source and resistor with a current source with the same value as the voltage source and a resistor with the equivalent resistance calculated in the previous step.
  4. If you transformed a voltage source, you can now use Ohm's Law to calculate the current flowing through the circuit. If you transformed a current source, you can use Ohm's Law to calculate the voltage across the circuit.

3. What are the benefits of using source transformation?

The main benefit of using source transformation is that it simplifies circuit analysis by reducing the number of components in a circuit. This makes it easier to calculate values such as current, voltage, and power in a circuit. It also helps in understanding the behavior of the circuit and identifying any potential issues.

4. How do you solve a circuit using source transformation?

To solve a circuit using source transformation, you need to follow these steps:

1. Identify all voltage and current sources in the circuit.
  2. Apply source transformation to simplify the circuit by converting voltage sources into current sources or vice versa.
  3. Use Ohm's Law and other circuit analysis techniques to calculate the values of current, voltage, and power in the circuit.
  4. Repeat the process for any remaining circuit components until the entire circuit is simplified and solved.

5. Can source transformation be applied to any circuit?

Yes, source transformation can be applied to any circuit that contains voltage and/or current sources. However, it is most effective in circuits with multiple sources and can be used in both DC and AC circuits.