Quick question regarding speed & constant acceleration

In summary, the problem involves an antelope moving with constant acceleration and passing through two points in a given time. The first question asks for its speed at the first point, which is 5.74 m/s. To solve this problem, kinematic equations are used. The second question asks for the acceleration, which can be found using the equation x - x0 = vx0t + 1/2axt^2, with x0 = 0 and vx0 known from the first question.
NutriGrainKiller
I'm doing homework from the first week of Physics 111 in the 2nd chapter (this is university calc-based physics by the way). I am a bit of a slow learner (dyslexic :frown: ), so take it easy on me. I know the answer to the first question, but I would like to understand it. Here is the problem:

An antelope moving with constant acceleration covers the distance 75.0 m between two points in time 7.60 s. Its speed as it passes the second point is 14.0 m/s.

Q1): What is its speed at the first point?
A1): 5.74 m/s

Q2): What is the acceleration?

Thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok so for this type of problem you have to use your kinematic equations. We are given a distance between two points, the time it takes for the antelope to cover that distance, and the speed when it passes the second point. So we need to use an equation that contains all these variables. We would use [itex] x = x_{0} + \frac{1}{2}(v_{x}_{0}+v_{x})t [/itex]. We could rewrite this as [itex] x - x_{0} = \frac{1}{2}(v_{x}_{0}+v_{x})t [/itex]. [itex] x - x_{0} [/itex] is really the distance, so [itex] 75 = \frac{1}{2}(v_{x}_{0} + 14)(7.60) [/itex]. So just solve for [itex] v_{x} [/itex]. For the second question, use the equation [itex] x - x_{0} = v_{x}_{0}t + \frac{1}{2}a_{x}t^{2} [/itex]. [itex] x_{0} = 0 [/itex] and you know [itex] v_{x}_{0} [/itex] and [itex] t [/itex] from the previous question. So just solve for [itex] a [/itex].

Last edited:
courtrigrad said:
Ok so for this type of problem you have to use your kinematic equations. We are given a distance between two points, the time it takes for the antelope to cover that distance, and the speed when it passes the second point. So we need to use an equation that contains all these variables. We would use [itex] x = x_{0} + \frac{1}{2}(v_{x}_{0}+v_{x})t [/itex]. We could rewrite this as [itex] x - x_{0} = \frac{1}{2}(v_{x}_{0}+v_{x})t [/itex]. [itex] x - x_{0} [/itex] is really the distance, so [itex] 75 = \frac{1}{2}(v_{x}_{0} + 14)(7.60) [/itex]. So just solve for [itex] v_{x} [/itex]. For the second question, use the equation [itex] x - x_{0} = v_{x}_{0}t + \frac{1}{2}a_{x}t^{2} [/itex]. [itex] x_{0} = 0 [/itex] and you know [itex] v_{x}_{0} [/itex] and [itex] t [/itex] from the previous question. So just solve for [itex] a [/itex].

do i just assume that X0 (subscript 0) is equal to 0? Like I assume the starting position is 0 in other words

yes you assume starting position is 0.

1. What is speed and how is it different from velocity?

Speed refers to how fast an object is moving, while velocity is the speed of an object in a specific direction. So, two objects can have the same speed, but different velocities if they are moving in different directions.

2. What is constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration is when an object's velocity changes by the same amount in each unit of time. This means that the object is accelerating at a constant rate, whether it is speeding up or slowing down.

3. How do you calculate average speed?

Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. The formula for average speed is: Average Speed = Total Distance/Total Time.

4. How is acceleration related to speed?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's speed changes. This means that if an object is accelerating, its speed is changing. The greater the acceleration, the faster the speed will change.

5. What is the difference between instantaneous speed and average speed?

Instantaneous speed refers to the speed of an object at a specific moment in time, while average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken. Instantaneous speed can vary throughout the motion, while average speed is a single value that represents the overall motion.