Can you find truth in contradiction? - Quote Critiques

• Thread starter jammieg
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation discusses a philosophy game called "Quote Critiquing" where players have to explain how a given quote is both true and false. One of the players refuses to participate, stating that the game is not original. The conversation also includes a discussion about missing out on experiences and the concept of being present in the moment.
jammieg
I just thought of this philosophy game(wow just adding the word "philosophy" almost makes it sound deep), maybe someone would like to play. I call it quote critiquing, the objective of the game is to explain how the current quote or a quote in the list is true and how it is also false and if you can do that, then you leave another good quote for the next fool, so here goes: :smile:

"The truth shall set you free"-some famous bastard

Physics news on Phys.org
jammieg said:
"The truth shall set you free"-some famous bastard

It can help lift the burden of guilt, that is if your not a sociopath and in certain situations it can put you behind bars.

If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him - Voltaire

your game of 'Quote Critiques' requires individuals to devote their thoughts to an other individual's original thoughts, which I believe is not original, and therefore I refuse to play.

Create your own quote.

o:)

Jimmie, So You Refuse To Play This Game Because It Isn't Orginal, Ok, Use Your Own Quotes If You Like Thereby It Has Even More Orginality I Agree. This Is False Because By This Reasoning You Aren't Going To Play Games Unless They Just Came Out Today, Even Though Many Quotes You Have Never Heard Of And You'll Still Have To Come Up With Your Own Orginal Responses To Them, You'll Be Missing Out. I Skipped Voltaire.

You'll Be Missing Out

Actually, while you intended to play that game, any game, you missed out on EVERYTHING except that game.

Intend to do nothing.

Be here now.

o:)

1. Can you explain the concept of "truth in contradiction"?

The concept of "truth in contradiction" refers to the idea that two seemingly contradictory statements or ideas can both be true at the same time. This can occur when different perspectives or contexts are considered, or when there is a deeper meaning or interpretation behind the apparent contradiction.

2. How can something be both true and contradictory?

As humans, we often view the world in binary terms - something is either true or false, right or wrong. However, in reality, there are often multiple layers and complexities to a situation or idea. What may seem contradictory on the surface can actually be true when taking into account different perspectives or contexts.

3. Can you give an example of "truth in contradiction"?

An example of "truth in contradiction" could be the statement "less is more." On the surface, this may seem contradictory - how can less be more? But when considering different contexts, such as minimalism or simplifying a complex problem, it becomes clear that sometimes less can indeed be more.

4. Is "truth in contradiction" always applicable?

No, "truth in contradiction" is not always applicable. It is important to critically evaluate each situation or idea to determine if there is a deeper truth behind a seeming contradiction. Sometimes, a statement or idea may simply be false or incorrect.

5. How can understanding "truth in contradiction" be beneficial?

Understanding "truth in contradiction" can help us to think more critically and deeply about complex issues. It allows us to see beyond the surface level and consider multiple perspectives, leading to a more nuanced understanding of the truth. Additionally, embracing contradictions can lead to creativity and innovation, as it challenges us to think outside of traditional binary thinking.