I'm getting 2 different values for this limit but am i doing it right/

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation is about a limit that does not exist and how it was determined through different approaches. The participants discussed the importance of indicating the parameterization in the second attempt and how the limit must be close to the limit no matter how it is approached. They concluded that since two different limits were obtained using different lines, the limit does not exist.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, I'm having troubles deciding if this limit does not exist...
i have the problem and work here, i get 2 different limits by letting x and y go to different points and making z fixed at 0. Did i break any rules?

http://img426.imageshack.us/img426/1372/lastscan7fk.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot to indicate your parameterization in the second attempt. What was it?

It seems to have been (t,t,0).

correct (t,t,0)

Yes, in order for the limit to exist, f(x,y,z) must be close to that limit when (x,y,z) are close to 0, no matter how you approach (0,0,0). Since you get two different limits approaching along two different lines, this limit does not exist.

1. Why am I getting 2 different values for this limit?

There could be a few reasons for this. One possibility is that you made a mistake in your calculations or in setting up the problem. Another possibility is that the limit does not exist or is undefined. It's always a good idea to double check your work and make sure you are using the correct formulas and techniques.

2. Am I doing this limit correctly?

Without seeing your work and the specific problem, it is difficult to determine if you are doing the limit correctly. It's important to follow the correct steps and formulas for finding limits and to carefully check your work for any mistakes. If you are unsure, it may be helpful to consult a textbook, professor, or other resources for guidance.

3. Can a limit have more than one value?

No, a limit can only have one value. If you are getting 2 different values, it is likely that there is a mistake in your calculations or the limit does not exist. It's important to carefully check your work and make sure you are using the correct techniques for finding limits.

4. Is it possible to get different values for a limit from different methods?

Yes, it is possible to get different values for a limit when using different methods. This is because some methods may be more accurate or appropriate for certain types of limits. It's important to consider which method is best suited for the specific limit and to double check your work for accuracy.

5. What should I do if I am still unsure about the limit?

If you are still unsure about the limit, it may be helpful to seek guidance from a professor, tutor, or other resources. They can provide feedback on your work and help clarify any misunderstandings. It's also important to continue practicing and reviewing the concepts to improve your understanding of limits.