How Can I Solve Viscosity and Bouyant Force Problems?

In summary: Both equations involve the drag force (F) and the acceleration (A) of the object, as well as the object's mass and density. In the first case, F = -GM/R, where G is the gravitational force, M is the mass of the object, and R is the radius of the object. In the second case, F = -GM/R2, where G is the drag force, M is the mass of the object, and R is the radius of the object. When solving these equations, it is helpful to think about the drag force as a function of the object's speed and radius. For the metal sphere in oil, the drag force is proportional to the speed and radius
Struggling
hi all just doing some questions and come along these two which have me stumped. There multiple choice questions but id rather know the working out to them as i have exams in a couple of weeks. thanks.

1. The mass of a hot-air balloon and its fully loaded basket is 500kg excluding the air in the balloon. if we assume the balloon is spherical, what radius must the balloon be for it to float if the density of the hot air inside the balloon is 0.95kg/m^3 and the density of the cold air outside is 1.3kg/m^3.

--- with this question i believe you use the P = Po + pgh but i cannot set it out to find the radiusi have tried to use 4/3 pi R^3 where m = pV.

2. A sphere of mass 1.9g & diameter 8mm made of steel is dropped into a tank of liquid with density = 900kg/m^3 and falls a distance of 30cm in 27 seconds. What is the Viscosity of the oil?

--- i looked through textbooks but i could only find Newtons law for viscosity and i had no idea how to work it out.

and just one quick check i believe this is right.

Newtons law of viscosity says that: - the stress depends on the acceleration( i believe this is it because the equation is stress is the viscosity of the liquid x the change in velocity i believe?)

the other options for the answer were
1. the stress is proportianal to the rate of strain
and
2. The velocity gradient is linear.

but i see no relation with these other 2 answers.

any help is much appreciated thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pressure inside the hot-air balloon is the same as the
Pressure outside the balloon, at the bottom of the bag.
The cold air is "Buoyant enough" to hold up a Volume of cold air.
The basket mass + hot air mass should be the same amount
as the cold air mass that the same Volume encloses.

the gradient of velocity is linear ...
at the falling ball surface, the oil has same velocity as the ball.
the oil is dragged slightly slower, at a ring slightly larger than ball.
CHANGE in velocity (time-wise) is totally distinct from
Difference in velocity (at different places) .
z-component of v_ball - v_oil is proportional to r-R .

This might help on viscosity

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/airfri.html#c3

In the first part, one is concerned with bouyancy.

As lightgrav indicated, the effective density of the balloon (total mass including hot air, balloon and basket divided by volume of hot air) must be equal to the density of cold air. Or mass mass of balloon and hot air must equal mass of cold air displaced by balloon.

In the second problem, a metal sphere falling through oil is subject to bouyant force and drag (resistant force). The drag is determined by the viscosity of the oil.

One can calculate how fast the steel ball would fall (or accelerate) in air (neglecting air resistance) and compare to how fast it falls in oil.

What is viscosity and how is it measured?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. It is typically measured in units of poise or centipoise. Viscosity can be measured using various instruments such as viscometers or rheometers.

What factors affect the viscosity of a fluid?

The viscosity of a fluid is affected by temperature, pressure, and the presence of any dissolved substances. Generally, higher temperatures and lower pressures result in lower viscosity, while the presence of dissolved substances can increase or decrease viscosity depending on their chemical properties.

What is the relationship between viscosity and buoyant force?

Viscosity plays a role in determining the buoyant force on an object in a fluid. Objects with higher viscosity, such as honey, experience greater resistance to flow and therefore have a lower buoyant force compared to objects with lower viscosity, such as water.

How does buoyant force affect the motion of objects in a fluid?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted on an object by a fluid that is in opposition to the force of gravity. This force can cause objects to float or sink, depending on their density. Objects with a greater density than the fluid will sink, while objects with a lower density will float.

How is buoyant force related to Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This principle helps to explain why objects with lower densities float and why the buoyant force increases as the volume of the object increases.