What should i learn before college?

• Schools
  • Thread starter rawezh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary: Ask around. It's not that difficult.Just to mention a few.Vanadium's advice is stellar. If you cannot feed yourself, manage your finances, and keep your house clean enough you can see the floor and no bugs are living in your sink-- better start now. College is not only a time to learn about the subject you love most, but also a time to figure out just what life is all about. Unfortunately, it's a lot of busy work. Feeding yourself, clothing yourself, cleaning, driving ;)The Feynman's Lectures are by no means a physics text. In fact, there is a striking absence
rawezh
Hi high school is finally over and now it is time to get ready for college but how?:confused: i have been searching the internet for a week now to find the answer for that but i haven't found it so if you can help me it would be very appreciated .
Im interested in physics and want to become a physicist so what should i learn? any tip or advice is welcome but please make it detailed for example say (read this particular book or learn that subject ) thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Academics wise:

Brush up on all your previous math courses. Love the algebra, and learn it well. Most problems in upper level maths come from fundamental issues in the previous coursework. If you've had calculus already, take some time to look at the "applied" problems that had to do with physical concepts. If you're truly daring, look over some proofs.

As unappealing as it may be, brush up on your English as well. Being able to communicate succinctly will be a benefit.

Start keeping up with physics news. Pay special attention to discoveries that seem extra appealing to you. At some point in your undergraduate studies, you'll want to do some research, so it helps to have an idea starting out of the gate.

Study wise:

Practice good study habits. Learn to take notes of the reading BEFORE lecture and fill in the blanks during lecture. Don't skip the readings as most generally do in HS. Instead, use lecture to be an active participant. Get over any fear of asking questions.

Reading wise:

Read Feynman's Lectures on physics (or watch, or listen). They give a pretty good overview of the intro sequence, and will be of great help. It's nice to have a general idea of what you're getting into.

Cheers

HayleySarg said:
Academics wise:

Brush up on all your previous math courses. Love the algebra, and learn it well. Most problems in upper level maths come from fundamental issues in the previous coursework. If you've had calculus already, take some time to look at the "applied" problems that had to do with physical concepts. If you're truly daring, look over some proofs.

As unappealing as it may be, brush up on your English as well. Being able to communicate succinctly will be a benefit.

Start keeping up with physics news. Pay special attention to discoveries that seem extra appealing to you. At some point in your undergraduate studies, you'll want to do some research, so it helps to have an idea starting out of the gate.

Study wise:

Practice good study habits. Learn to take notes of the reading BEFORE lecture and fill in the blanks during lecture. Don't skip the readings as most generally do in HS. Instead, use lecture to be an active participant. Get over any fear of asking questions.

Reading wise:

Read Feynman's Lectures on physics (or watch, or listen). They give a pretty good overview of the intro sequence, and will be of great help. It's nice to have a general idea of what you're getting into.

Cheers
thanks great tips especially the one about communication yes i suck in it even when i speak my native language it is sometimes hard to understand me and that is probably because I am an introverted person.
do you think Feynman's lectures are appropriate because some people say that they are bad for a beginner?

How much physics and math have you already studied in high school?

rawezh said:
so what should i learn?

How to do laundry.
How to iron a shirt.
How to write a check.
How to drive a stick-shift.
How to cook a meal.

Just to mention a few.

Vanadium's advice is stellar. If you cannot feed yourself, manage your finances, and keep your house clean enough you can see the floor and no bugs are living in your sink-- better start now. College is not only a time to learn about the subject you love most, but also a time to figure out just what life is all about. Unfortunately, it's a lot of busy work. Feeding yourself, clothing yourself, cleaning, driving ;)

The Feynman's Lectures are by no means a physics text. In fact, there is a striking absence of problems to solve. Instead, Feynman offers a frame of reference for how to actually look at things. There will be no true technical level of detail to be achieved from the texts, and that's exactly why I mentioned it.

He does look at things a bit differently, which may be helpful or irritating depending on your viewpoint on things. If there's anything to take away from the lectures, it's that physics-- nature... it's beautiful. And that we, regardless of specific field in science, have a duty to never stop asking why. And to never be afraid of not knowing. Ah, and there's quite a good bit of physics in there too.

On introversion: Don't let the drain of people get to you. There's a big difference between shy and introversion, which you'll soon learn. I'm an introvert and though I'm neither shy nor excited around people, it took a bit out of me. Don't let it become an excuse for behaviors; make time for yourself so you never become irritable or frustrated.

English is a tough language. I don't care what anyone else says on the matter, and my statement is that of absolute bias. You can increase you active vocabulary by picking up a SAT vocab book and doing flash cards or something similar. Words begin to stick in your mind only if you use them in daily language. As far as grammar and writing ability, those just come with time and practice. Your college will likely force a few English credits upon you. Don't be too intimidated, there's often writing workshops/help centers on campus to help you out.

Cheers

jtbell said:
How much physics and math have you already studied in high school?
In math i studied (algebra, geometry, trigonometry , logarithm , graphs and linear models ,limits, derivatives and their applications ,integrals and their applications , and a bit of conic sections ,also a bit of complex numbers too but i forgot them)
in physics ( classical mechanics , Electromagnetism ,vibrations and waves , interference and diffraction , atomic physics ,modern electronics, also back in 10th grade i studied thermodynamics , optics , and fluid mechanics but i don't remember them well now).

If you've had that much math, why not give some more advanced analysis or linear a crack? I mean, if you're bored. You've already got a solid foundation for undergraduate physics. Additionally, reading the Feynman Lecture's at your level of knowledge will be perfect. You've already gotten a taste of it all, and seeing a different perspective will likely be refreshing.

Additionally, reading AND getting some physics knocks out two things at once.

Vanadium 50 said:
How to do laundry.
How to iron a shirt.
How to write a check.
How to drive a stick-shift.
How to cook a meal.

Just to mention a few.
well i can cook some meals, iron a shirt but i don't know how to drive at all i always disliked driving car or even riding a bike but i guess you are right I am going to try to learn that but i won't worry about checks in my country we don't have banks and that kind of stuff the only banks that exist are only there for the government to pay wages to it's employees and when they take their wages the banks become empty (by the way we also don't have a postal system).

HayleySarg said:
If you've had that much math, why not give some more advanced analysis or linear a crack? I mean, if you're bored. You've already got a solid foundation for undergraduate physics. Additionally, reading the Feynman Lecture's at your level of knowledge will be perfect. You've already gotten a taste of it all, and seeing a different perspective will likely be refreshing.

Additionally, reading AND getting some physics knocks out two things at once.
well i have studied them but i can't say that i have mastered them also there is one problem which is the way i studied them weren't very good you see in my country we don't actually "learn" rather we are more taught to memorize things we become like slow calculators we can give you the derivative of a function but we don't even know what we did .also I am ready to start working hard .

Last edited:

1. What subjects should I focus on in high school to prepare for college?

It is important to have a well-rounded education in high school, but some subjects that will be beneficial for college include English, math, science, and social studies. Additionally, taking advanced or honors courses in these subjects can also be helpful in preparing for the rigor of college coursework.

2. Is it important to have a specific career path in mind before starting college?

While it can be helpful to have an idea of what you want to study in college, it is not necessary to have a specific career path in mind. Many students enter college with undecided majors and use their first year to explore different subjects and interests before declaring a major.

3. Should I focus on learning practical skills or academic knowledge before college?

Both practical skills and academic knowledge are important for success in college. It is beneficial to have a strong foundation in subjects such as English, math, and science, but practical skills such as time management, communication, and critical thinking are also crucial for college success.

4. Are there any specific study habits or strategies I should develop before college?

Developing good study habits and strategies before college can greatly benefit your academic performance. Some helpful habits include setting aside dedicated study time, staying organized, seeking help from teachers or tutors when needed, and practicing effective note-taking and test-taking techniques.

5. What resources can I use to prepare for college before starting?

There are many resources available to help you prepare for college. Some options include talking to your high school guidance counselor, attending college fairs and information sessions, taking college prep courses, and utilizing online resources such as college admission websites and test prep materials.