Online Education Advice for Logistics Professional

• Thread starter expert_engine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Education
In summary, the individual has a strong interest in physics but is facing limitations in pursuing further education due to family and job commitments. They are looking for recommendations on online programs or single course options in physics, but others suggest that traditional physics education is best done in a university setting with lab courses and interaction with peers. The individual is also considering the option of self-education, but acknowledges that there may come a point where it becomes difficult to continue without formal education.
expert_engine
majored in English when was at university. I have been engaged in logistics jobs for almost 4 years. Now I got the bottle neck of my jobs, I feel lack of professional logistics knowledge, and I am considering to take a online-education. Would anyone please give me a good suggestion about the online education?

Physics news on Phys.org
expert_engine said:
majored in English when was at university. I have been engaged in logistics jobs for almost 4 years. Now I got the bottle neck of my jobs, I feel lack of professional logistics knowledge, and I am considering to take a online-education. Would anyone please give me a good suggestion about the online education?

What area do you want to know about...accredidation, degrees, single courses, or something else?

CS

stewartcs said:
What area do you want to know about...accredidation, degrees, single courses, or something else?

CS

I would be interested in knowing what is available for online degrees in physics as well as single course availability in physics.

I'm very interested in pursuing more knowledge in physics. I have no real desire for employment in physics however. I have looked into many online physics programs and it seems pretty obvious that the online options are limited in many ways in comparison to on campus programs. I can appreciate this of course, but I don't have the option of on an campus education right now.

Are there any "recommended" programs offering traditional physics degrees online? (IE: not with an emphasis on "ultrasound physics," "health and medical physics," etc.)

I understand I'm most likely in the minority with this interest, but I'm sucked in fully. I have watched the UC Berkely youtube videos with Dr. Mueller, I've watched the M.I.T. youtube classes (wonderful), I'm a physics forum lurker, I've "learned physics today" at thinkquest.org, I'm working on a problem set from the MIT opencourseware site right now. I'm fully sucked in, but realize I will eventually reach a point of definite diminished returns on my own. Unless Lisa Randall decides giving private lessons in particle physics is her life calling, I imagine I'll stuck at the undergraduate limit of knowledge with no ability to pursue a graduate degree.

BYU has an independant study single course in physics. Does anyone know if this is worth it?

Last edited:
Troponin said:
IAre there any "recommended" programs offering traditional physics degrees online?

Traditionally, physics is taught with lab courses, as such it's not really possible to do this online. Also, you certainly gain a lot from interaction with peers. Online courses tend to be extremely expensive from what I've seen and the educational value of them seems questionable to me. I would say that if you are really serious about wanting to learn more physics, rearrange things so that you can attend a university to do this. In your first post you are talking about reaching a bottleneck in your professional advancement and the desire to take an additional degree. However, you go on to say you do not desire employment in physics. Why go for a physics degree at all then?

Troponin said:
I would be interested in knowing what is available for online degrees in physics as well as single course availability in physics.

Here is a single online physics course. Same stuff as sitting in a classroom except you have to be more independent and self-disciplined.

http://delta2.ncsu.edu/infofact/index.php?id=PY:205:N:601:SUM1:2008 [Broken]

CS

Last edited by a moderator:
bravernix said:
Traditionally, physics is taught with lab courses, as such it's not really possible to do this online. Also, you certainly gain a lot from interaction with peers. Online courses tend to be extremely expensive from what I've seen and the educational value of them seems questionable to me. I would say that if you are really serious about wanting to learn more physics, rearrange things so that you can attend a university to do this. In your first post you are talking about reaching a bottleneck in your professional advancement and the desire to take an additional degree. However, you go on to say you do not desire employment in physics. Why go for a physics degree at all then?

I'm not going for a physics degree. I have a college education and am currently a business owner.

I would love to attend a university setting for physics, that would be absolutely wonderful. However, I have two small children, travel frequently, and there are no physics programs within a 90 min drive.

We've talked about relocating and "doing what is necessary" for me to study physics, but it is a bit too radical an idea to uproot my family to pursue a degree for "fun."

I realize the eccentricity here, and I will continue my autodidacticism (probably better than my autoeroticism...) but I can only imagine there will become a point where, however high my interest, further self education will become exponentially more difficult. This point is the "bottleneck" I implied in my first post.

Troponin said:
I'm not going for a physics degree. I have a college education and am currently a business owner.

I would love to attend a university setting for physics, that would be absolutely wonderful. However, I have two small children, travel frequently, and there are no physics programs within a 90 min drive.

We've talked about relocating and "doing what is necessary" for me to study physics, but it is a bit too radical an idea to uproot my family to pursue a degree for "fun."

I realize the eccentricity here, and I will continue my autodidacticism (probably better than my autoeroticism...) but I can only imagine there will become a point where, however high my interest, further self education will become exponentially more difficult. This point is the "bottleneck" I implied in my first post.

The class link I posted above is the first in a two part course that is taught online, however you must have your exams proctored, but that can be done at any local college or library. The labs are online as well.

Hope that helps.

CS

stewartcs said:
The class link I posted above is the first in a two part course that is taught online, however you must have your exams proctored, but that can be done at any local college or library. The labs are online as well.

Hope that helps.

CS

Great help actually, already working on the non-degree studies application.

Does anyone know anything about the BYU independent study programs? There are 6 available courses in physics through that program.
(I'm not able to link, as I do not have 15 posts yet)

Last edited:
I have yet to see an online course in Physics that I would recommend with any enthusiasm.

stewartcs said:
The labs are online as well.

Curious! How does this work exactly?

bravernix said:
Curious! How does this work exactly?

They are virtual labs.

Dr. Courtney said:
I have yet to see an online course in Physics that I would recommend with any enthusiasm.

I wouldn't recommend them either if a choice is available, however, since the OP doesn't appear to be able to attend a traditional setting, then this would be the next best thing.

Like I said previously, you MUST be self-disciplined and motivated to do well.

CS

1. What are the benefits of pursuing online education for logistics professionals?

Online education offers several benefits for logistics professionals, including flexibility in terms of schedule and location, cost-effectiveness compared to traditional on-campus programs, and the ability to continue working while studying. It also allows professionals to access a wider range of courses and programs from reputable institutions, regardless of their geographical location.

2. How can online education help me advance my career in logistics?

Online education can provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to excel in your current role and explore new career opportunities in the field of logistics. It can also help you stay updated with the latest industry trends and advancements, making you a valuable asset to your organization.

3. What should I look for when choosing an online education program for logistics?

When selecting an online education program for logistics, it is important to consider factors such as accreditation, reputation of the institution, curriculum, faculty, and student support services. It is also beneficial to read reviews and testimonials from current and past students to get an idea of their experience with the program.

4. Are there any specific certifications or courses that are recommended for logistics professionals?

The logistics industry offers a wide range of certifications and courses that can help professionals enhance their skills and knowledge. Some popular options include the Certified Supply Chain Professional (CSCP) certification, the Certified Professional in Supply Management (CPSM) certification, and courses in areas such as transportation and distribution management, inventory control, and supply chain analytics.

5. How can I balance my work and studies while pursuing online education for logistics?

Balancing work and studies can be challenging, but with proper time management and organization, it is possible to successfully pursue online education while working. You can also consider discussing a flexible work schedule with your employer or reducing your workload during peak study periods. Additionally, taking advantage of online resources and support services provided by the institution can help you stay on track with your studies.