How to Derive and Integrate Specific Mathematical Functions?

In summary: You might want to calculate the functional derivative of\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}p(x)\,log(p(x))\,dxwith respect to p(y) and then use the constraint to get rid of p(y).In summary, the problem at hand involves taking a functional derivative rather than a regular derivative, and the solution may involve using the constraint to eliminate a variable.
EngWiPy
Hi,

I have this derivation, and I am not sure how to derive it:

[tex]\frac{d}{dp(x)}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}p(x)\,log(p(x))\,dx[/tex]

I mean, what to do with the integral?

Another thing, how to integrate:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{x^2}\,dx[/tex]

Thanks in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
S_David said:
Hi,

Thanks in advance

Squaring something means multiplying it by itself:

I2 =
[tex](\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{x^2}\,dx)(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{x^2}\,dx)[/tex]

x is a dummy variable of integration. You can change it to "y" (or your favorite letter)

[tex](\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{x^2}\,dx)(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{y^2}\,dy)[/tex]

This is similar to a double integral where it got split up because the first integrand was independent of the other variable. You can put them back together (you should know what Fubini's theorem says).

Switch to polar coordinates and it becomes a simple integral over the entire r-theta plane.

Square root the answer at the end (since you just calculated the square of the answer, remember you squared the integral)

Eat cookie

S_David said:
Hi,

Good question. :) You perform it and end up with a number which, when differentiated wrt to a function gives 0, because it won't depend on x, or on p(x) anymore.

S_David said:

Thanks in advance

The function under the integral diverges when nearing the 2 infinities. The integral cannot be computed, because it's infinite.

Good point bigubau! The others were thinking of
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}dx[/tex]

S David, you seem to have difficulty distinguishing between a "definite" integral and "indefinite" integral. The first problem was also a "definite" integral and so, also as bitubau said, a constant. It's derivative is 0. The others were thinking of differentiating the "indefinite integral"
[tex]\frac{d}{dp(x)}\int p(x)\,log(p(x))\,dx[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
Good point bigubau! The others were thinking of
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}dx[/tex]

S David, you seem to have difficulty distinguishing between a "definite" integral and "indefinite" integral. The first problem was also a "definite" integral and so, also as bitubau said, a constant. It's derivative is 0. The others were thinking of differentiating the "indefinite integral"
[tex]\frac{d}{dp(x)}\int p(x)\,log(p(x))\,dx[/tex]

Thank you all for these comments. Actually HallsofIvy, the integral in hand came from an optimization problem, and if it is 0, then we can not find the optimum solution. The problem is:

[tex]\underset{p(x)}{\text{max}}-\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}p(x)\log_2[p(x)]\,dx[/tex]

subject to:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}p(x)\,dx=1[/tex]

S_David said:
Hi,

It looks like what you actually want to be doing here is taking a functional derivative.

That is, I think what you want is

[tex]\frac{\delta}{\delta p(y)}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}p(x)\,log(p(x))\,dx[/tex]

The usual rules of regular calculus usually apply, but note

[tex]\frac{\delta f(x)}{\delta f(y)} = \delta(x-y)[/tex]
where [itex]\delta(x-y)[/itex] is the dirac delta. In doing this you will not get zero as an answer.

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical concept that describes the process of finding the rate of change of a variable with respect to another variable. In simpler terms, it is a method for finding the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. Why is differentiation important?

Differentiation is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of functions and their graphs. It is used extensively in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and many more to model and solve real-world problems.

3. What is the difference between differentiation and integration?

Differentiation is the process of finding the rate of change of a function, while integration is the process of finding the area under a curve. These two concepts are inverses of each other and are used together to solve many mathematical problems.

4. How is differentiation used in real life?

Differentiation is used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the velocity of an object in motion, determining the growth rate of a population, and finding the optimal solution for maximizing profits in business. It is also used in fields like machine learning and data analysis.

5. What are the different methods of differentiation?

The most commonly used methods of differentiation are the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. Other methods include logarithmic differentiation, implicit differentiation, and the use of trigonometric identities. Each method is used to simplify the process of finding the derivative of a function.