Magnetic Field Mass Spectrometer Calculations

In summary: If you still have doubts, post your calculations here and we will check it for you.In summary, the conversation is about a practice diploma question found on the internet regarding a magnetic field mass spectrometer and how to determine the magnetic field intensity based on the radius of curvature of a proton's path. Various equations and attempts to solve the problem are discussed, including rearranging the equation Bq=mv/r to solve for B. The final answer is calculated to be 4.80x10^-3.
AceInfinity
Here's a practice diploma question I found on the internet, this isn't homework. I'm studying, I just need help on how to do this type of question.

http://www.paulway.com/physics30/p30dips/p30jan2002.pdf (Page 11 Numerical Response #5)
Answer: 4.80x10^-3

Homework Statement

In the magnetic field mass spectrometer shown, the radius of curvature
of a proton’s path is 3.00 m. What is the magnetic field intensity?

Homework Equations

I'm guessing this one, but I don't see how radius would be added to solve it.
[PLAIN]http://k.min.us/idLl6m.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't even attempt this one, sorry, I tried, but maybe I have the wrong equation? I've posted other questions, but as I was reviewing I understand that I never really knew how to do this kind of problem. So for anyone to help me starting with the basics, would be helpful as any help at all is highly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well the magnetic field is going to cause the proton to move in a circular path.

So the magnetic force provides the centripetal force mv2/r. So equate that to BQv and solve for B.

alright, so I have this:

mv2/r
= (1.67x10-27kg)(v2)/(3.00m)

How do I solve for v in either equation when I don't have the Fm?

AceInfinity said:
alright, so I have this:

mv2/r
= (1.67x10-27kg)(v2)/(3.00m)

How do I solve for v in either equation when I don't have the Fm?

Because you will have

mv2/r = Bqv

so you can get v.

Ahh, thanks, I'm going to try that...

... > v = qBr/m

v = (1.60x10-19)(B)(3.00m)/(1.67x10-27kg)

What exactly is B though in this equation? How do I get it

Still requesting some help on this one. At this point I'm at a loss for how to solve this kind of problem at all. Sorry for being so impatient, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can for today about classical physics involving charge, momentum, mainly.

I know that the curvature of the proton's path is due to the inertia of the proton having a mass of 1.67x10-27kg

I forgot to add in, that the voltage between the 2 first plates that the proton passes through is 1.00x104 Volts.

Last edited:
AceInfinity said:
Ahh, thanks, I'm going to try that...

... > v = qBr/m

v = (1.60x10-19)(B)(3.00m)/(1.67x10-27kg)

What exactly is B though in this equation? How do I get it

B is the magnetic field strength, which is what you are looking for.

AceInfinity said:
Still requesting some help on this one. At this point I'm at a loss for how to solve this kind of problem at all. Sorry for being so impatient, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can for today about classical physics involving charge, momentum, mainly.

I know that the curvature of the proton's path is due to the inertia of the proton having a mass of 1.67x10-27kg

I forgot to add in, that the voltage between the 2 first plates that the proton passes through is 1.00x104 Volts.

You were told you to use the value of 'v' from the question before.

From Bq=mv/r you need to rearrange for B and you have m=1.67(10-27) kg.

(If you did not do the part before to get v, you should consider conservation of energy for that.)

Alright I got it:

B = [mv/r] ÷ q
B = [(1.67x10-27)(1.38x106)/(3.00m)] ÷ 1.60x10-19
B = 4.8012...x10-3

However I just took the answer of the velocity from the answer key. I'm not quite sure how to solve for velocity in this case. If that could be the second (should have been the first) part of this thread?

That should be correct now.

1. What is a magnetic field mass spectrometer?

A magnetic field mass spectrometer is a scientific instrument that is used to measure the mass and relative abundance of particles in a sample. It works by separating particles in a sample based on their mass-to-charge ratio using a combination of electric and magnetic fields.

2. How does a magnetic field mass spectrometer work?

In a magnetic field mass spectrometer, a sample is ionized and then accelerated through an electric field. The ions then enter a magnetic field, where they are deflected based on their mass-to-charge ratio. The resulting ion beam is detected and analyzed to determine the mass and relative abundance of particles in the sample.

3. What are the applications of magnetic field mass spectrometry?

Magnetic field mass spectrometry has a wide range of applications in various fields such as environmental analysis, pharmaceuticals, forensics, and geology. It is used to identify and quantify substances in a sample, determine the purity of a substance, and study the structure of molecules.

4. What factors affect the accuracy of magnetic field mass spectrometer calculations?

The accuracy of magnetic field mass spectrometer calculations can be affected by several factors, including the strength and uniformity of the magnetic field, the resolution and sensitivity of the detector, and the presence of interfering ions or contaminants in the sample.

5. How can the results of magnetic field mass spectrometer calculations be interpreted?

The results of magnetic field mass spectrometer calculations are typically presented as a mass spectrum, which shows the relative abundance of particles in the sample at different mass-to-charge ratios. By comparing the peaks in the spectrum to known standards, the identity and concentration of substances in the sample can be determined.