Natural frequency of large degree of freedom system

In summary, the conversation is about a spring-mass system with 200 masses and 199 springs, with each mass being 100 tonnes and the stiffness being 20 MN/m. The boundary conditions are fixed-free. The person has constructed a lumped mass matrix and stiffness matrix and calculated the lowest natural frequency to be 0.0124 Hz. However, when calculating the wave speed, it was found to be 141.4 m/s assuming a distance of 10 metres between masses. The frequency of the wave starting at one end, reflecting at the free end, and returning is more than double the natural frequency calculated. There is a question about the approach being used to calculate the natural frequency and the kind of wave in the system
dxdy
I have a spring-mass system with 200 masses and 199 springs. All masses are 100 tonnes and stiffness 20 MN. The boundary conditions are fixed-free.

I have constructed a lumped mass matrix and stiffness matrix and calculated the lowest natural frequency. Including the boundary conditions I calculated this to be 0.0124 Hz.

However, when I calculate the wave speed, I can calculate the period of the wave starting at one end, reflecting at the free end and returning. This frequency (1/T) is more than double the natural frequency I calculated. The wave speed I calculated was 141.4 m/s assuming the distance between masses is 10 metres.

Am I using the wrong approach here for calculating the natural frequency both ways?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you calculate the speed of the wave in this system? And what kind of wave?

dxdy said:
masses are 100 tonnes and stiffness 20 MN.
What does it mean stiffness 20MN? You, maybe, meant 20 MN/m?
And how are they connected? In a simple chain mass-spring-mass-sping-mass...mass-spring-mass, or rather in some mesh?

Yes I did mean 20 MN/m.
Solved.

Last edited:

I appreciate your thorough analysis and calculations of the natural frequency of your spring-mass system. It seems that you have correctly calculated the lowest natural frequency using the lumped mass and stiffness matrices. However, when considering the wave speed and period of the wave, it is important to note that they are not directly related to the natural frequency of a system.

The natural frequency of a system is determined by its mass and stiffness properties, while the wave speed and period of the wave are influenced by the boundary conditions and overall geometry of the system. In your case, the fixed-free boundary conditions and the distance between masses of 10 metres are affecting the wave speed and period of the wave.

Therefore, it is not surprising that the calculated wave speed and period are different from the natural frequency you calculated using the lumped mass and stiffness matrices. This does not necessarily mean that you are using the wrong approach, but rather that you are considering different aspects of the system.

In conclusion, your approach for calculating the natural frequency using the lumped mass and stiffness matrices is correct. However, to accurately calculate the wave speed and period of the wave, you may need to consider the boundary conditions and overall geometry of the system in your calculations.

What is the natural frequency of a large degree of freedom system?

The natural frequency of a large degree of freedom system refers to the frequency at which the system will oscillate without any external force acting on it. It is determined by the mass, stiffness, and damping of the system.

How is the natural frequency of a large degree of freedom system calculated?

The natural frequency of a large degree of freedom system can be calculated using the equation: fn = 1/(2π) √(k/m), where fn is the natural frequency, k is the stiffness of the system, and m is the mass of the system.

What factors affect the natural frequency of a large degree of freedom system?

The natural frequency of a large degree of freedom system is affected by the mass, stiffness, and damping of the system. Additionally, the shape, size, and material properties of the system can also impact its natural frequency.

Why is the natural frequency of a large degree of freedom system important?

The natural frequency of a large degree of freedom system is important because it can help engineers and scientists understand how the system will respond to different forces and vibrations. It is also crucial in designing and optimizing structures to avoid resonance and potential failure.

How does the natural frequency of a large degree of freedom system impact its performance?

The natural frequency of a large degree of freedom system can greatly impact its performance. If the system's natural frequency is close to the frequency of external forces, it can lead to resonance and potentially cause damage. On the other hand, a higher natural frequency can result in a stiffer and more stable system.