Requirements for Badges: Homework Helper, Science Adviser, etc

• Thread starter jhosamelly
  • Start date
In summary: The vote is only one factor. And you don't have to vote to be a mentor. The vote does not give you power to give someone a badge.Also, why do you think members don't have right to vote now? It is a democracy. Isn't it?It is a democracy. You have the right to vote, but it doesn't mean that the person you vote for will get a badge. And you can't vote for yourself.Please explain to me what you meant by 'migration of the ducks'.It's just a phrase used for people who only show up once a year, or for a short period of time, and then disappear for the rest of
jhosamelly
How can I have a badge??

How can i have a badge like homework helper.. science adviser.. etc??

Are there requirements?? Like no. of post or something??

sorry if this is something obvious.. I just started here so I have no idea ..

Physics news on Phys.org

Those designations are awarded to members by the Admin/Mentors based on their evaluation of a member's consistent performance and ability in this forum. One can neither ask nor request for them.

Zz.

If you want one you're going to have to be an excellent member :wink: welcome to the forums!

Ryan_m_b said:
If you want one you're going to have to be an excellent member :wink: welcome to the forums!

There are excellent members without a badge.:smile: Personally speaking, a person without a badge doesn't imply that he/she aren't qualified to make outstanding contributions.:wink: Just because a person does have a badge doesn't mean they are perfect nor does it imply they don't make mistakes.:smile:

ViewsofMars said:
There are excellent members without a badge.:smile: Personally speaking, a person without a badge doesn't imply that he/she aren't qualified to make outstanding contributions.:wink: Just because a person does have a badge doesn't mean they are perfect nor does it imply they don't make mistakes.:smile:
I totally agree :smile:

ViewsofMars said:

The badges make NO implication of such things either.

A SA badge for physics doesn't imply that person is qualified to be an expert in Biology. Furthermore, the badge also signifies a consistent participation. Someone who is more qualified, but participates only during the yearly migration of the ducks would not receive such a badge either.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
The badges make NO implication of such things either.

A SA badge for physics doesn't imply that person is qualified to be an expert in Biology. Furthermore, the badge also signifies a consistent participation. Someone who is more qualified, but participates only during the yearly migration of the ducks would not receive such a badge either.

Zz.

I'm positive that this must be of help to your viewing audience and current members as of todate is 333,797. Yet, I did look https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=213
and noted that very few members vote on who is or isn't going to win a badge because as you say, "Someone who is more qualified, but participates only during the yearly migration of the ducks would not receive such a bade either." Mind explaining to me what you mean by 'migration of the ducks'. I would hope you do have *more* qualifed individuals with a badge. :smile: Also, a badge holder with an "Anonymous" name might tend to confuse people who participate thinking the person is afraid to use it if the title is related to science or such.

All I'm doing is providing you with feedback on this topic. :smile: Also, I hit an average 1,273 websites in a day when I am online. Sorry for my lack of full-time presence here.:smile: I don't spend my life hooked up to the Internet. My personal opinion is a badge isn't necessary. What you present to the public online should be honest and true as far as I am concerned since I think it is far more valuable then a title with a badge.

ViewsofMars said:
I'm positive that this must be of help to your viewing audience and current members as of todate is 333,797. Yet, I did look https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=213
and noted that very few members vote on who is or isn't going to win a badge
That is a popular vote by members for fun, it is not a "badge" in the sense of a homework helper or science advisor. Zz was referring to HH and SA medals.

Evo said:
That is a popular vote by members for fun, it is not a "badge" in the sense of a homework helper or science advisor. Zz was referring to HH and SA medals.

Correct. I am confining to the award in question asked in the OP, not the end-of-the-year Guru awards!

Zz.

Evo said:

Ok. The HH and SA medals are voted by members and I have seen that before and seen a very minute amount of members voting. I do recall one member Jimmy declined. Do you have those statistics available any longer or are they deleted?

ViewsofMars said:
Ok. The HH and SA medals are voted by members and I have seen that before and seen a very minute amount of members voting. I do recall one member Jimmy declined. Do you have those statistics available any longer or are they deleted?

HH and SA medals are NOT voted by members!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
HH and SA medals are NOT voted by members!

Zz.
That's interesting since I voted for several people located here: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/mentorforums/

You have had voting by members before. Maybe you would like to tell me why I voted for some of those members from the link prior to them getting a badge. Do you have the statistics for that ? Also, why do you think members don't have right to vote now? It is a democracy. Isn't it? Please explain to me what you meant by 'migration of the ducks'.

ViewsofMars said:
That's interesting since I voted for several people located here: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/mentorforums/

You have had voting by members before. Maybe you would like to tell me why I voted for some of those members from the link prior to them getting a badge. Do you have the statistics for that ?

Your vote did not cause them to get an SA of HH badge. People get badges if the current SA's, HH's and mentors think they should have one. The voting you refer to has nothing to do with the system of Science Advisors and Homework Helpers.

It's not surprising that the people you voted for have SA or HH badges, since they tend to have quality posts. However, the regular members have no say in whether somebody receives a badge or not.

ViewsofMars said:
It is a democracy. Isn't it?

This forum is not a democracy. This is privately owned by King Greg Bernhardt I and he can do what he wants to. He chooses to make this a scientific forum which promotes mainstream science.

It would not be a good idea to let all members decide on who should be SA or HH, since they don't necessarily are qualified to judge. Do you expect to let all people in the world judge on who should get a publication in a scientific journal?? This is the same idea.

Last edited:

ViewsofMars said:
Please explain to me what you meant by 'migration of the ducks'.
Just a joke to illustrate how there may be members who might make high quality posts, but who participate only rarely (during the annual migration).

ViewsofMars said:

You have had voting by members before. Maybe you would like to tell me why I voted for some of those members from the link prior to them getting a badge. Do you have the statistics for that ? Also, why do you think members don't have right to vote now? It is a democracy. Isn't it? Please explain to me what you meant by 'migration of the ducks'.

Are you referring to the voting for "Awards" that was done back in december? Those are not badges. Having a "2011 Spirit Award" has nothing to do with having a HH Badge.

Confusingly we have a 2011 PF Award for Homework Help and also a Homework Helper medal. ;)

The first has been awarded by the popularity vote in december, the second is awarded by the mentors.

A sincere thank you to everyone that has particapted on this topic. :biggrin: What an enlightening experience! :biggrin: I mostly look at scientific journals when online but nothing beats a conversation. I do think *our* viewing audience has learned the art of communication. Again, thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Hmm...I think the confusion is terminology. The end of year awards do earn a badge. Those are a popular vote and include both serious and silly categories. There's only one winner in each category for those who gets a badge for the year. I think the OP is actually asking about the medals, which are decided upon by staff and other medalists.

Though, if you see someone who is consistently helpful and has been here a while, but doesn't have a medal, you could always PM Greg or a mentor to bring attention to that member in case they were simply overlooked. Once in a blue moon, someone gets offered the medal and declines because they just don't want the pressure or attention.

There is a bit of post count factored in too, but I won't disclose the number so people don't make the mistake of padding their post count. That's mainly because it takes some number of posts to get a feel for whether someone is just flash in the pan, or is a long-term, steady contributor.

1. What are the requirements for becoming a Homework Helper?

The requirements for becoming a Homework Helper may vary depending on the organization or platform you are volunteering for. However, some common requirements may include having a strong understanding of the subject matter, good communication skills, and the ability to work well with students of different ages and backgrounds. You may also need to pass a background check and go through a training program.

2. How can I become a Science Adviser?

To become a Science Adviser, you typically need to have a degree in a relevant field of science and/or extensive experience in the scientific field. You may also need to demonstrate strong problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and the ability to effectively communicate complex scientific concepts to non-experts. Additionally, some organizations may require you to undergo a formal application process and possibly an interview.

3. Are there any age requirements for volunteering as a Homework Helper or Science Adviser?

The age requirements for volunteering as a Homework Helper or Science Adviser may vary depending on the organization or platform you are working with. Some may have a minimum age requirement, while others may not have any specific age restrictions. It is best to check with the organization or platform directly to see if there are any age requirements in place.

4. Do I need to have previous experience to become a Homework Helper or Science Adviser?

Previous experience is not always necessary to become a Homework Helper or Science Adviser, but it may be beneficial. Some organizations may prefer volunteers who have previous experience working with students or in a specific scientific field. However, if you are passionate about helping others and have a strong understanding of the subject matter, you may still be able to volunteer as a Homework Helper or Science Adviser.

5. Can I volunteer as both a Homework Helper and a Science Adviser?

Yes, it is possible to volunteer as both a Homework Helper and a Science Adviser. However, it may depend on the organization or platform you are working with and their specific requirements. Some may allow volunteers to have multiple roles, while others may require you to choose one specific role. It is best to check with the organization or platform directly to see if this is an option.