A question about a cumulative distribution curve

In summary, the figure is a graph of the probability density function and the text explains what it is. The data is divided into ten bins according to the cdf and the one way trip distances range from 4.78 to 40.71 miles.
bradyj7
Hello there,

I have a Figure from a book and some text explaining the figure and I was hoping that somebody could explain/clarify what it means.

Here is the Figure

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54057365/All/pic.JPG

Here is the text explaining the Figure:

"The data are divided into ten bins having the same probability on the cumulative density
function (cdf). The representative driving distances in each bin are selected having the median cumulative distribution in each bin. The selected distance of one-day driving in each bin ranges from 9.56 to 81.4 miles, thus, the one-way trip distances range
from 4.78 to 40.71 miles."

I'm looking for clarification on the first line.

"The data are divided into ten bins having the same probability on the cumulative density function (cdf)"

Does this mean that the data is divided into 10 bins according the cumulative distribution curve and these bins are 0.1, 0.2 0.3...1.0?

My question is do they have the "same probability"? I would of though that bin 0.2 would have twice the probability of bin 0.1? And bin 0.3 would have three times the probability etc.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Thank you for your help

John

Physics news on Phys.org
Bin 0.2 refers to those items between 0.1 and 0.2, so it has the same probability as the first interval.

bradyj7 said:
Hello there,

I have a Figure from a book and some text explaining the figure and I was hoping that somebody could explain/clarify what it means.

Here is the Figure

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54057365/All/pic.JPG

Here is the text explaining the Figure:

"The data are divided into ten bins having the same probability on the cumulative density
function (cdf). The representative driving distances in each bin are selected having the median cumulative distribution in each bin. The selected distance of one-day driving in each bin ranges from 9.56 to 81.4 miles, thus, the one-way trip distances range
from 4.78 to 40.71 miles."

I'm looking for clarification on the first line.

"The data are divided into ten bins having the same probability on the cumulative density function (cdf)"

Does this mean that the data is divided into 10 bins according the cumulative distribution curve and these bins are 0.1, 0.2 0.3...1.0?

That is what the graph appears to be showing. The bins are more often called "cells"; and the analysis is called "quantile" or percentage of the cdf; I have another thread where I am asking about the same subject. In my design, the cells/bins are of equal probability based on the cdf (erf) of the bell curve.

My question is do they have the "same probability"? I would of though that bin 0.2 would have twice the probability of bin 0.1? And bin 0.3 would have three times the probability etc.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Thank you for your help

John

It can be done either way but in this case I don't think it is like your last statement; In my algorithm it is not accumulating either; By reading the description of the text, I don't believe this is talking about bins which include previous ones. Notice: The blue line is the cumulative distribution function; and check how the right hand side of the graph's description is the cumulative value up to 1.0 (100%), Then notice how the dotted black vertical lines intersect the CDF at exactly spaced % on the right. So your graph, I suppose, is perdecile; whereas mine is per/cent/ile as I break it up into 1% bins.

The probability density function also appears on that graph; Notice it isn't a bell curve -- this is a result of the number of samples being small; The bins are 10, so the discrete binomal that would have the same shape is a bernoulli trial with p=0.1 and q=0.9 scaled to the number of data points in the original sample.
Notice, the smoothness of the graph appears to be "fudged" by using "median" values rather than "mean"; Even with a million values, I still see some non-smooth deviation in my percentile cells.

See graphs, here:
Graphs at bottom of binomial cpq thread

I hope this helps.
If you go looking for the thread directly, note: I made a typo in the title, it is supposed to be a cumulative p,q bernoulli distribution function (cpq, not cpk...!) that I am treating the cells as.

If your book happens to have a good estimation formula for the pdf (the purple brown graph), when n of data points is small, I'd appreciate knowing what the name of the approximation is -- so I can look it up. Computing an exact value for the Bernouli trial is time intensive...
Thanks, Andrew.

What is a cumulative distribution curve?

A cumulative distribution curve is a graphical representation of the cumulative probability distribution of a set of data. It shows the cumulative percentage of data points that fall below a certain value on the horizontal axis.

What is the difference between a cumulative distribution curve and a probability distribution curve?

A cumulative distribution curve shows the cumulative probability of data points falling below a certain value, while a probability distribution curve shows the probability of a specific data point occurring within a certain range.

How is a cumulative distribution curve calculated?

A cumulative distribution curve is calculated by first sorting the data in ascending order and then plotting the cumulative percentage of data points on the vertical axis against the corresponding values on the horizontal axis.

What information can be obtained from a cumulative distribution curve?

A cumulative distribution curve provides information about the spread and central tendency of the data set. It can also be used to estimate the probability of a data point falling within a certain range.

How is a cumulative distribution curve useful in scientific research?

A cumulative distribution curve is useful in scientific research as it allows researchers to analyze and understand the distribution of data. It can also be used to compare different data sets and identify any patterns or trends in the data.