Linearising compound pendulum equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of linearizing the compound pendulum equation T=2pi√(K^2 + h^2)/gh in order to find the value of g from the gradient. The idea of using a Taylor approximation and making one of the axes √(h2 + K2) is suggested. The conversation also touches on the confusion of K being a known constant or not and the final solution of plotting a graph of h^2 against h*T^2 to determine the y intercept and gradient.
seboastien

Homework Statement

Linearise T=2pi√(K^2 + h^2)/gh K is known constant

This is a compound pendulum equation, I want to plot some kind of formula with variable T against some kind of formula with variable H in order to find g from the gradient.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so I've got T/2pi all squared times g all substituted to x, h subbed to y and k^2 subbed to constant C and I've got the equation y^2 -yx + C=0 and tried to solve for y=x+β

I've tried implicit differentiation and it's gotten me nowhere

Physics news on Phys.org
hi seboastien! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
seboastien said:

This is a compound pendulum equation, I want to plot some kind of formula with variable T against some kind of formula with variable H in order to find g from the gradient.

if K is a known constant, can't you make one of the axes √(h2 + K2) ?

I would have to make the axis √((h^2 + K^2)/gh ) but that is a good point.

However, I would still like to know how I could linearise it further. I know that a taylor approximation is needed but I don't know how to, or what a value to choose

√(1 + (h2/K2) = 1 + (h2/K2)/2 + … :wink:

??

if h/K is small, then √(1 + (h2/K2)) = 1 + (h2/K2)/2 + …

hmmm, my only issue is that its the sqrt of K^2 + h^2 divided by gh

it also turns out that k is the radius of gyration and I have no scales to measure the pendulum's mass. I believe I need a y=mx + c where the y intercept will be determined by k, g by m, x by T and h by y.

is there any way of achieving this?

seboastien said:
it also turns out that k is the radius of gyration and I have no scales to measure the pendulum's mass. I believe I need a y=mx + c where the y intercept will be determined by k, g by m, x by T and h by y.

i'm confused :redface:

you said that K was known :confused:
seboastien said:

That's because I thought I was allowed to measure the pendulums mass.

Don't worry I've worked it out...finally, turns out I've been overcomplicating things.

I'll just plot a graph of h^2 against h*T^2 the y intercept will be -k^2 and the gradient will be g/4pi^2.

Thanks anyway.

1. What is a compound pendulum?

A compound pendulum is a type of pendulum that consists of a rigid body suspended from a pivot point, rather than a simple pendulum which has a point mass suspended from a string or rod.

2. What is the equation for a compound pendulum?

The equation for a compound pendulum is a non-linear equation that takes into account the length and mass distribution of the pendulum, as well as the gravitational acceleration. It is given by θ'' + (g/L)sinθ = 0, where θ is the angle of displacement and L is the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass.

3. Why is it necessary to linearize the compound pendulum equation?

Linearizing the compound pendulum equation makes it easier to solve and analyze. Non-linear equations are more complex and require more advanced mathematical techniques to solve, whereas linear equations can be solved using simpler methods.

4. How do you linearize the compound pendulum equation?

To linearize the compound pendulum equation, we make the assumption that the angle of displacement θ is small, so we can use the small angle approximation sinθ ≈ θ. This simplifies the equation to θ'' + (g/L)θ = 0, which is a linear equation that can be solved using basic calculus.

5. What are the applications of linearizing the compound pendulum equation?

Linearizing the compound pendulum equation allows us to study and understand the behavior of pendulums in various situations, such as in clocks, seismographs, and other mechanical systems. It also helps us to design and optimize pendulum-based devices, such as accelerometers and gyroscopes.