Time at which price doubles in inflation.

In summary, the "rule of 72" is a shortcut method for calculating the number of years it takes for a commodity facing inflation to double in price. The formula is 72/x, where x is the rate of inflation. This is based on the approximation that (1+p)^n ~ e^(np) and ln(2) = 0.69, with a slight correction to make it 72 instead of 69. This rule is familiar to many and is a better approximation than the formula given by X is the rate of inflation - 100/x. Inflation is compounded, making the rule of 72 useful for calculating the impact of inflation on the value of a dollar over time.
PhysicoRaj
Gold Member
anybody knows how to calculate the period which a commodity which faces inflation takes to double it's price, without knowing anything except the rate of inflation? You must give a very shortcut method.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If X is the rate of inflation - 100/x

Thanks.

Bignose said:
If X is the rate of inflation - 100/x

Actually, a much better approximation is the "rule of 72", which is that the number of years to double at an annual growth rate of x% is 72/x. This is because (1+p)^n ~ e^(np), and ln(2) = .69. A slight correction makes it 72 instead of 69. Try it. You'll find that (1+p)^(72/p) ~=2.0 for a wide range of p.

phyzguy said:
Actually, a much better approximation is the "rule of 72", which is that the number of years to double at an annual growth rate of x% is 72/x. This is because (1+p)^n ~ e^(np), and ln(2) = .69. A slight correction makes it 72 instead of 69. Try it. You'll find that (1+p)^(72/p) ~=2.0 for a wide range of p.
At last!
I was waiting for someone who told me this rule! I wanted to know if this was familiar to all. Cheeeerup!

Is inflation compounded though? my dollar stays a dollar year to year if I hold on to it. If I take 2% off and its... I guess it makes sense to compound an inflation rate. Stupid trick question.

PhysicoRaj said:
At last!
I was waiting for someone who told me this rule! I wanted to know if this was familiar to all. Cheeeerup!

Indirection is sleazy. If you want to know something on this forum, just ask.

1. What is the time at which price doubles in inflation?

The time at which price doubles in inflation is known as the doubling time. It is the amount of time it takes for the price of goods and services to double due to inflation.

2. How is the time at which price doubles in inflation calculated?

The time at which price doubles in inflation is calculated using the rule of 72. This rule states that if you divide 72 by the annual inflation rate, you will get the approximate number of years it takes for the price to double.

3. What factors can affect the time at which price doubles in inflation?

The time at which price doubles in inflation can be affected by various factors such as the inflation rate, the level of demand for goods and services, and the overall state of the economy. Other factors may include government policies, supply and demand, and international trade.

4. Why is the time at which price doubles in inflation important?

The time at which price doubles in inflation is important because it helps individuals and businesses make informed decisions about their finances. It also allows policymakers to monitor and control inflation by adjusting interest rates and implementing other measures to stabilize the economy.

5. How can individuals protect themselves from the effects of the time at which price doubles in inflation?

Individuals can protect themselves from the effects of the time at which price doubles in inflation by investing in assets that provide a hedge against inflation, such as real estate, precious metals, and stocks in industries that perform well during inflationary periods. They can also consider adjusting their spending and savings habits to keep up with rising prices.