Phase and Magnitude of a Cosine

In summary, when graphing the magnitude and phase of a function, it is important to take into account the sign changes and relative frequencies of the function. In the example of H(w) = cos(3w), the magnitude can be graphed as a cosine function with a period of (2π)/3, but with the negative portions flipped over the x-axis. The phase can be graphed by comparing the function to a cosine function with a lower frequency, such as cos(w), and observing the relative phase shifts at different values of w. This is particularly important in applications such as PLLs.
fruitloops

Homework Statement

Graph the magnitude and phase of the function: H(w) = cos(3w)

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

So here's the thing, I understand how to graph the phase and magnitude of any sort of function like X(w) = A*exp(wt). In that case, the magnitude would just be |X(w)| = A and the phase would be w.

However, I'm not sure how to apply that to graphing a cosine. I know that it doesn't have any imaginary portions (I think), so the magnitude would be just the absolute value of the function, which would be the cos function with a period of (2*pi)/3 but with all the negative parts flipped over the x-axis. Using Matlab, I see that this is indeed the case:

http://imageshack.us/a/img696/2913/magfc.jpg

However, I don't understand how to get the phase graph or why it is like it is:

http://imageshack.us/a/img198/5306/phasen.jpg

Could someone explain this to me?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
fruitloops said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

So here's the thing, I understand how to graph the phase and magnitude of any sort of function like X(w) = A*exp(wt). In that case, the magnitude would just be |X(w)| = A and the phase would be w.

Hi fruitloops. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

It seems you are thinking of the case where the exponent is imaginary. But it isn't imaginary in the example you show here.
Phase is always relative. Are you wanting to plot of cos(3w) relative to cos(w)? To see their phase relationship, sketch a cosine cos(w), and superimpose on it a cosine(3w). You can see that cos(3w) starts off in phase with cos(w) at w=0, and when w=Pi they are again in phase.

This sort of phase comparison — of signals of differing frequencies — is relevant to PLLs.

Last edited by a moderator:
H(w) changes sign at some w. The magnitude only shows size so sign change has to be reflected in the phase.

1. What is the phase of a cosine wave?

The phase of a cosine wave is the horizontal shift of the wave along the x-axis. It represents the starting point of the wave and is measured in terms of degrees or radians.

2. How is phase related to the frequency of a cosine wave?

The phase of a cosine wave is directly related to the frequency of the wave. As the frequency increases, the phase shift also increases. This means that the wave starts at a different point on the x-axis.

3. What does the magnitude of a cosine wave represent?

The magnitude of a cosine wave represents the amplitude, or height, of the wave. It is the distance from the center line of the wave to its peak or trough.

4. How do the phase and magnitude affect the shape of a cosine wave?

The phase shift determines where the wave starts, while the magnitude determines its height. Together, these two factors affect the overall shape and position of the cosine wave.

5. How can the phase and magnitude of a cosine wave be changed?

The phase of a cosine wave can be changed by adding a horizontal shift to the wave, while the magnitude can be changed by multiplying the wave by a constant. Both of these changes will alter the shape and position of the wave.