Find Density of z in Change of Variable Homework

In summary, to find the density of z in a change of variable problem, you will need the joint density function of the original variables and use a change of variable formula to transform it into a function of the new variable z. This allows us to understand the distribution of z and its relationship to the original variables. The specific formula used will depend on the types of variables involved. In some cases, it may not be possible to find the density of z, in which case other methods can be used. To check if the density of z has been correctly calculated, it should satisfy the properties of a probability distribution and can be verified using known solutions or software.
autobot.d

Homework Statement

Let x,y be iid and [tex]x, y \sim U(0,1) [/tex] (uniform on the open set (0,1)) and let [tex] z = xy^2. [/tex]
Find the density of z.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]P(z \leq w) = P(xy^2 \leq w) = P(- \sqrt{\frac{w}{x}} \leq y \leq \sqrt{\frac{w}{x}}) = \int^{ \sqrt{\frac{w}{x}}}_{ -\sqrt{\frac{w}{x}}} dy = 2 \sqrt{\frac{w}{x}}
[/itex]

Is this right. Seems like I am missing something, not sure.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
autobot.d said:

Homework Statement

Let x,y be iid and [tex]x, y \sim U(0,1) [/tex] (uniform on the open set (0,1)) and let [tex] z = xy^2. [/tex]
Find the density of z.

Homework Equations

[itex]P(z \leq w) = P(xy^2 \leq w) = P(- \sqrt{\frac{w}{x}} \leq y \leq \sqrt{\frac{w}{x}}) = \int^{ \sqrt{\frac{w}{x}}}_{ -\sqrt{\frac{w}{x}}} dy = 2 \sqrt{\frac{w}{x}}
[/itex]

Thanks.

No. Y cannot be < 0, so you cannot have the region ## - \sqrt{w/x} \leq y < 0##. Anyway, you need an answer that contains w only, so you still need to get rid of the 'x'.

autobot.d said:

Homework Statement

Find the density of z.

Homework Equations

[/itex]

Thanks.

[itex]P(z \leq w)[/itex] should be a function of w only, so something's wrong.

Fix x. Then [itex]P(y^2 \leq w/x) = P(0 \leq y \leq \sqrt{w/x}) = \min(1,\sqrt{w/x})[/itex] since [itex]0 \leq y \leq 1[/itex]. Then
[tex]
P(z \leq w) = P(xy^2 \leq w) = \int_0^1 \min\left(1,\sqrt{\frac wx}\right)\,\mathrm{d}x
= \int_0^w 1\,\mathrm{d}x + \int_w^1 \sqrt{\frac wx}\,\mathrm{d}x
[/tex]

Makes sense it should be a function of w only. I do not understand though how the integral with the minimum is broken up into the two integrals at the end. Any insight?

Thanks for the help.

autobot.d said:
Makes sense it should be a function of w only. I do not understand though how the integral with the minimum is broken up into the two integrals at the end. Any insight?

Thanks for the help.

Look at the two cases x > w and x < w.

The first integral ranges from ##x=0## to ##x=w##, so the minimum is equal to 1. In the second integral, you have ##x\geq w##, and so the minimum is the square-root expression.

1. How do I find the density of z in a change of variable problem?

To find the density of z in a change of variable problem, you will first need to have the joint density function of the original variables. Then, you can use the change of variable formula to transform the joint density function into a function of the new variables, which will include z. Finally, you can integrate the new function over the range of z values to find the density of z.

2. What is the purpose of finding the density of z in a change of variable problem?

The density of z in a change of variable problem allows us to understand the distribution of the new variable z and its relationship to the original variables. This information is useful in many applications, such as in statistical analysis and probability calculations.

3. Can I use any change of variable formula to find the density of z?

No, the specific change of variable formula used will depend on the types of variables involved in the problem. For example, if the original variables are continuous, you will use the Jacobian formula, while if they are discrete, you will use the probability mass function formula.

4. What if I am unable to find the density of z in a change of variable problem?

In some cases, it may not be possible to find the density of z in a change of variable problem. This could be due to the complexity of the problem or limitations in our mathematical tools. In these situations, other methods such as simulation or approximation techniques may be used to estimate the density of z.

5. How can I check if I have correctly calculated the density of z?

You can check your calculations by verifying that the density of z satisfies the properties of a probability distribution. These include being non-negative, integrating to 1 over the range of z values, and having a finite mean and variance. You can also compare your results to known solutions or use software to double-check your calculations.