Fluid velocity vs pressure in taper.

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of pushing fluid through a straight hole versus a tapered hole. It is noted that pushing fluid through a straight hole with applied pressure can eventually lead to lock up, while pushing it through a tapered hole results in increased fluid velocity and decreased pressure. The question posed is whether the resistance to applied pressure will remain consistent, decrease, or increase with increased speed of the piston. The speaker notes that they are surprised they have not seen a response to this question yet and assumes that the flow will be at least linear with progressive speed.
THORPE
I have been running this question through my mind.

If you apply pressure to a fluid (with say a piston) through a straight hole then the faster you push it through with applied pressure then the more back pressure it builds. Until eventually it pretty much locks up.

I understand that.

Ok if you push fluid through a tapered hole then the fluid velocity should increase and pressure should decrease.

My question is will the resistance to applied pressure stay consistent, decrease, or increase with increased applied speed of the piston?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas?

Does my question make sense?

I'm surprised I haven't seen the first response to this question.

I am going to assume that the flow will be at least linear with progressive speed.

1. What is the relationship between fluid velocity and pressure in a taper?

The relationship between fluid velocity and pressure in a taper is inversely proportional. This means that as the velocity of the fluid increases, the pressure decreases. Conversely, as the velocity decreases, the pressure increases.

2. How does the shape of a taper impact fluid velocity and pressure?

The shape of a taper can significantly impact fluid velocity and pressure. A gradual taper will result in a smoother transition of the fluid, resulting in a lower pressure drop and a more uniform velocity. A steep taper, on the other hand, will cause a more abrupt change in velocity and pressure.

3. What is the significance of fluid velocity and pressure in a taper?

Fluid velocity and pressure in a taper are essential factors to consider in various engineering applications. The velocity and pressure of a fluid can affect the efficiency and performance of a system, such as in hydraulic systems, piping networks, and ventilation systems.

4. How can fluid velocity and pressure in a taper be controlled?

There are several ways to control fluid velocity and pressure in a taper. One method is by adjusting the taper angle, where a steeper angle will result in higher velocity and lower pressure. Another way is by using flow control devices, such as valves or pumps, to regulate the flow rate and thus control velocity and pressure.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding fluid velocity and pressure in a taper?

Understanding fluid velocity and pressure in a taper is crucial in many practical applications. It is used in the design of various fluid systems and components, such as nozzles, diffusers, and converging-diverging passages. It is also important in industries that involve fluid transport, such as aerospace, automotive, and energy production.