Need help understanding the signal wire.

• Thread starter MinnesotaState
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Signal Wire
In summary, the servo in question is a standard racing servo that requires DC power. The signal wire is used to control the speed of the servo by changing the input value. This is typically done through a pulsing signal sent back to the motor drive circuit. A varistor can also be used to control the flow of electricity, similar to turning a screwdriver. The servo in question uses a PWM input to set the position of the arm.
MinnesotaState
Need help understanding the "signal" wire.

My servo,

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/DCS-110/STANDARD-RACING-SERVO/1.html

Not sure if this servo requires AC or DC power. What I really want to understand is the signal wire; specifically how changing the input value either increases or decreases the speed of the servo. I speak of input value because I do not know if the EMF or the I is changing. I'd assume that the EMF would remain constant & the change I would be responsible for change in speed of the servo.

Perhaps it's best that I understand how a varistor works? With a varistor, the + & - leads have completed the circuit. You change the flow via screwdriver or such. You can think of turning the screwdriver as your signal, correct? How does this work? To me, it's either you complete the circuit or you don't.

Btw, I believe the servo requires AC. I standard 9Vdc didn't work. I ran the signal to positive...

Engineering news on Phys.org
it requires 6V DC did you not read what it said on the page ? :wink:

the signal wire usually is an output from the motor ... the few servo motors I have worked with produce a pulsing signal on this line that is sent back to the motor drive circuit.
If you connected it to power you may have damaged it ??
the 9VDC may have also damaged it ?

Dave

That is a standard hobby server. The control signal is a PWM input that sets the position of the arm.

How RC Servos Works

BoB

1. What is a signal wire?

A signal wire is a type of wire used to transmit electrical signals between different components or devices in a circuit. It is typically a thin, insulated wire that carries a low voltage electrical signal.

2. How does a signal wire work?

A signal wire works by carrying electrical signals from one component to another in a circuit. These signals can be in the form of voltage, current, or digital pulses, and are used to communicate information between devices.

3. What is the purpose of a signal wire?

The purpose of a signal wire is to facilitate communication between different components or devices in a circuit. This allows for the transfer of information, control signals, and data between different parts of a circuit.

4. What are the properties of a signal wire?

A signal wire typically has low voltage and low current, as it is used for transmitting signals rather than powering devices. It also has a small diameter and is usually made of a conductive material such as copper or aluminum.

5. How do I troubleshoot signal wire problems?

If you are experiencing issues with your signal wire, you can troubleshoot by checking for loose connections, damaged wires, or faulty components. You can also use a multimeter to test the voltage and continuity of the wire to identify any issues. If you are still having trouble, consult a professional for assistance.