Register to reply

Going from a rate to a probability

by aaaa202
Tags: probability, rate
Share this thread:
aaaa202
Mar12-14, 01:36 PM
P: 1,005
I am simulating a system where I have as a function of time the rate at which something happens, like for instance n atoms per second passes a boundary. Now what happens in the system is that as soon as one atom passes the boundary, everything goes back to initial values. So my problem is that I don't have a very good idea on how to simulate the stochastic nature of the system given that the function I have is not probability for crossing as a function of t but rather a rate. Does anyone have an idea on what to do?
Edit: So basically I want to know that given this rate function, when should I expect the first atom to cross the boundary on average.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Optimum inertial self-propulsion design for snowman-like nanorobot
The Quantum Cheshire Cat: Can neutrons be located at a different place than their own spin?
A transistor-like amplifier for single photons
Nugatory
Mar12-14, 01:49 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 3,458
Not completely clear from you description.... But it sounds as if you want the Poisson distribution.

Register to reply