Rb saturated spectrum and identification of absorption lines

In summary, the author is trying to identify which lines in a spectrum are Rb85 lines. He uses an oscilloscope to measure absorption spectra, and then uses a mirror to reflect the beam and measure the spectrum again. He calculates the frequency of the lines based on the spectra.
prehisto
Hello guys, i have saturated spectrum of Rb. My goal is to identify which lines i see.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img835/8787/xvwr.png [Broken]
So from http://www.opticsinfobase.org/oe/fulltext.cfm?uri=oe-15-10-6293
I have identified that there are to 2 Isotopes: Rb85 and Rb85,
further from
http://www.coldatoms.com/en/researc...laryzacja-fali-zanikajcej-eksperyment-rb.html
i identified that there are transitions 5S1/2, F = 2 → 5P1/2, F’ = 1 and 2.
And from here
http://steck.us/alkalidata/rubidium87numbers.pdf
i calculated corresponding frequencies ω1 and ω2.

Now,i do not have a clue how to identify Rb85 lines,because there are a lot of possible transitions. I think that in Rb85 lines the middle one is resonance line, and i have to identify 2 more.
Someone help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want some help, you'll have to give more details. What experimental setup are you using? What kind of spectrum is that? I can't read the y axis, and I don't understand why the x-axis is time.

DrClaude said:
If you want some help, you'll have to give more details. What experimental setup are you using? What kind of spectrum is that? I can't read the y axis, and I don't understand why the x-axis is time.

I measured absorption spectra with oscilloscope,the laser beam went through glass cell.Inside the cell was Rb.
The beam went through the cell 1 time (in one direction) and spectra was registered . This spectra in the picture is the one above,which does not give absorption lines.

The beam was reflected and it traveled through the cell again (in the opposite direction) and the spectrum was registered again. This spectra in the picture is the one with absorption lines.

The y-axis is normalized intensity. And x-axis is unknown,it just is some-kind of displacement.

I need help,because I have so little information my self. I measured it a while back and do have little details about this experiment:(

I hope this information gives more understandable point of view.

I'm no spectroscopist, but I don't get how you can extract any useful information from that graph if you don't know precisely what the x-axis corresponds to.

DrClaude said:
I'm no spectroscopist, but I don't get how you can extract any useful information from that graph if you don't know precisely what the x-axis corresponds to.

Yes,that was the problem
I think i solved it.

How i sad earlier -i identified two absorption lines by looking into publications. So if i know frequency of two lines, i calculated the ω1-ω2 and then calculated the same for x-axis position. And then recalculated all the x-axis in frequency units.

1. What is Rb saturated spectrum?

Rb saturated spectrum refers to the spectrum of the element rubidium (Rb) where all the energy levels are completely filled with electrons. This is achieved by exposing the rubidium atoms to a high intensity of light or energy, causing the electrons to jump to higher energy levels.

2. How is Rb saturated spectrum used in identification of absorption lines?

Rb saturated spectrum is used as a reference spectrum in spectroscopy to identify absorption lines in a sample. When a sample is placed in front of the Rb saturated spectrum, the absorption lines of the sample will appear as dark lines on the spectrum. This allows scientists to identify the elements present in the sample based on the location and intensity of the absorption lines.

3. What is the significance of Rb in spectroscopy?

Rb is commonly used in spectroscopy due to its unique electronic structure, making it highly sensitive to changes in energy levels. This makes it a useful element for identifying and analyzing other elements in a sample. Additionally, Rb has several isotopes, each with their own distinct spectral lines, making it even more useful for identifying elements in complex samples.

4. How is Rb saturated spectrum produced in the laboratory?

Rb saturated spectrum can be produced in the laboratory by using a high intensity light source, such as a laser, to excite the rubidium atoms. This causes the electrons to jump to higher energy levels, creating a spectrum with all energy levels filled. Alternatively, Rb can also be excited using an electric discharge or by heating a sample of rubidium in a flame.

5. What other applications does Rb saturated spectrum have in science?

Rb saturated spectrum has various applications in science, including in atomic clocks, as a reference for calibrating other spectroscopic measurements, and in the study of quantum mechanics. It is also used in medical research and technology, such as in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.