[itex]K^{0}-\bar{K}^{0}[/itex] mixing SQCD

• Thread starter ChrisVer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixing
In summary, the author is trying to understand why the unitary U makes the equation for the masses vanish in terms of indices. The author thinks that because then the numerators become UU† = I, and I is diagonal and would not couple d to s, which is off-diagonal, then the equation for the masses must be equivalent to the last expression. However, because Δm_{i} is going to change the summation way, it won't give the δds anymore.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I am trying to understand what the author means by the attachment (the underlined phrase).

In my understanding if the masses were equal I should have:

[itex] \frac{1}{(p^{2}-m^{2}+i \epsilon)^{2}} \sum_{ij} U^{d_{L}}_{di} U^{d_{L} \dagger}_{is}U^{d_{L}}_{dj} U^{d_{L} \dagger}_{js}[/itex]

why is the unitary supposed to make it vanish?
(the attachment is from page 202 of Theory and Phenomenology of Sparticles (2004)- M.Drees, R.Godbole,P.Roy)

Attachments

• LatEx.jpg
    LatEx.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 742
Physics news on Phys.org
I think because then the numerators become UU= I, and I is diagonal and would not couple d to s, which is off-diagonal.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, I just realized that [itex]d,s[/itex] where not free indices, but they denoted the corresponding quarks coming in and out...

Also the last equation there is in the attachment should be some kind of Taylor expansion of the above factor, around [itex] m_{i}^{2} = m_{d}^{2} + Δm_{i}^{2}[/itex]
I am also having 1 question...
[itex] \sum_{ij} U^{d_{L}}_{di} U^{d_{L} \dagger}_{is}U^{d_{L}}_{dj} U^{d_{L} \dagger}_{js}\frac{1}{(p^{2}-m_{d}^{2}-Δm_{i}^{2}+i \epsilon)(p^{2}-m_{d}^{2}-Δm_{j}^{2}+i \epsilon)}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{p^{2}-m_{d}^{2}-Δm_{i}^{2}+i \epsilon}= \frac{1}{p^{2}-m_{d}^{2}+i \epsilon} + \frac{Δm_{i}^{2}}{(p^{2}-m_{d}^{2}+i \epsilon)^{2}}+O(\frac{1}{(p^{2}-m_{d}^{2})^{3}})[/itex]

So for j...
[itex]\frac{1}{p^{2}-m_{d}^{2}-Δm_{j}^{2}+i \epsilon}= \frac{1}{p^{2}-m_{d}^{2}+i \epsilon} + \frac{Δm_{j}^{2}}{(p^{2}-m_{d}^{2}+i \epsilon)^{2}}+O(\frac{1}{(p^{2}-m_{d}^{2})^{3}})[/itex]

And these I multiply... the 1st terms will give zero because of the unitarity of [itex]U[/itex]'s as before... the 1-2 and 2-1 terms will also give zero because of the unitarity of one of the [itex]U[/itex] each time ... So the only remaining term is the 2-2:

[itex] \frac{1}{(p^{2}-m_{d}^{2}+i \epsilon)^{4}}\sum_{ij} U^{d_{L}}_{di} U^{d_{L} \dagger}_{is}U^{d_{L}}_{dj} U^{d_{L} \dagger}_{js} Δm_{i}^{2}Δm_{j}^{2}+O(\frac{1}{(p^{2}-m_{d}^{2})^{5}})[/itex]

Which I think is equivalent to the last expression...
However isn't it also zero? because "i" can't be "s" and "d" at the same time... Shouldn't [itex]Δm_{i}[/itex] be between the [itex]U[/itex]'s? if it could be regarded as a matrix to save the day...

Last edited:
Oh I'm stupid... I just saw what's going on...
[itex]Δm_{i}[/itex] is going to change the summation way, so it won't give the δds anymore...

1. What is [itex]K^{0}-\bar{K}^{0}[/itex] mixing in SQCD?

[itex]K^{0}-\bar{K}^{0}[/itex] mixing in SQCD (supersymmetric quantum chromodynamics) is the phenomenon where particles called [itex]K^{0}[/itex] and [itex]\bar{K}^{0}[/itex] can transform into each other through the weak interaction. This is possible due to the mixing of their neutral meson states, which are a combination of their quark and anti-quark components.

2. How does [itex]K^{0}-\bar{K}^{0}[/itex] mixing occur in SQCD?

[itex]K^{0}-\bar{K}^{0}[/itex] mixing in SQCD occurs through the exchange of virtual particles, specifically gluinos and squarks, which are supersymmetric partners of gluons and quarks. These virtual particles can create a transition between the quark and anti-quark states of the [itex]K^{0}[/itex] and [itex]\bar{K}^{0}[/itex], causing them to mix.

3. What is the significance of [itex]K^{0}-\bar{K}^{0}[/itex] mixing in SQCD?

The study of [itex]K^{0}-\bar{K}^{0}[/itex] mixing in SQCD is important for understanding the fundamental interactions of particles and the behavior of the strong nuclear force. It also has implications for the search for new physics beyond the Standard Model, as deviations from the predicted mixing rate could indicate the presence of new particles or interactions.

4. How is [itex]K^{0}-\bar{K}^{0}[/itex] mixing in SQCD measured?

[itex]K^{0}-\bar{K}^{0}[/itex] mixing in SQCD is measured using experiments that study the decay of neutral mesons. These experiments look for differences in the decay rates of [itex]K^{0}[/itex] and [itex]\bar{K}^{0}[/itex] mesons, as the mixing causes them to have slightly different decay rates. By comparing these decay rates, scientists can determine the strength of [itex]K^{0}-\bar{K}^{0}[/itex] mixing in SQCD.

5. What are the current predictions and measurements of [itex]K^{0}-\bar{K}^{0}[/itex] mixing in SQCD?

The current predictions and measurements of [itex]K^{0}-\bar{K}^{0}[/itex] mixing in SQCD are in good agreement with each other and with the Standard Model. The mixing rate is predicted to be relatively small, with measurements consistent with this prediction. However, further studies and experiments are ongoing to search for any deviations from the expected rate, which could point towards new physics beyond the Standard Model.