Energy in a capacitor in an RC circuit.

In summary, for a charging circuit with an emf of 200 V, R = 2*10^5\omega, and C = 50 \mu F, the time taken for the charge to rise to 90% of the final value is found using the formula t = RC. To find the energy stored in the capacitor at t=RC, use the formula E = 1/2*C*V^2 where V is the voltage drop across the capacitor at t=RC. The power loss in R at t=RC can be found using the formula P = V^2/R, where V is the voltage drop across the resistor at t=RC.
Brewer
The question asks:

For a charging circuit, the emf supplied by the battery is 200 V, R = [tex]2*10^5\omega[/tex] and C =[tex] 50 \mu F[/tex]. Find:
a) the time taken for the charge to rise to 90% of the final value
b) the energy stored in the capacitor at t=RC
c) the power loss in R at t=RC

I've worked out a). That was simple enough. However when it comes to b) and c) I'm having problems.

For b) I want to use that [tex]E = \frac{CV^2}{2}[/tex], or one of its rearrangements (most probably the [tex]\frac{Q^2}{2C}[/tex] version), however whilst I can find a value for Q in terms of [tex]Q_{0}[/tex], this still leaves me with an unknown in the answer ([tex]Q_{0}[/tex]).

And for c) I have no idea whatsoever - nowhere in my notes or textbook, does it say anything about the energy or power in an RC circuit.

Any hints (or blatent worked answers :biggrin: ) would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Brewer said:
The question asks:

For a charging circuit, the emf supplied by the battery is 200 V, R = [tex]2*10^5\omega[/tex] and C =[tex] 50 \mu F[/tex]. Find:
a) the time taken for the charge to rise to 90% of the final value
c) the power loss in R at t=RC

I've worked out a). That was simple enough. However when it comes to b) and c) I'm having problems.

For b) I want to use that [tex]E = \frac{CV^2}{2}[/tex], or one of its rearrangements (most probably the [tex]\frac{Q^2}{2C}[/tex] version), however whilst I can find a value for Q in terms of [tex]Q_{0}[/tex], this still leaves me with an unknown in the answer ([tex]Q_{0}[/tex]).

Well, two ways to do it, one with voltage, the other with charge. I would suggest the voltage approach since you already have the supply voltage given. Find out what proportion (percent wise) of the supply voltage is dropped across the capacitor when t = RC (use the same approach you used in part a) except now you know the time but you're looking for the percentage). Let's say the answer is p%. Figure out p% of 200V to get the potential difference across the capacitor at that time, and put that into the formula E = 1/2*C*V^2.

And for c) I have no idea whatsoever - nowhere in my notes or textbook, does it say anything about the energy or power in an RC circuit.

Use the formula for power dissipation across a resistor which is P = V^2/R. You know the voltage drop across the capacitor at t = RC. You know the supply voltage. Since the capacitor and the resistor are in series, what can you say about the voltage across the resistor at this time? Hence work out the power loss using the formula.

Find the voltage to answer b using q=CV. That will help since you have capacitance and voltage value.

That's my post!

willydavidjr said:
That's my post!

I didn't see.. :rofl: I thought it would help to read the stuff there. In fact for those interested, why not search up PF for all similar RC/capacitor problems and the discussions following them for info.

Brewer said:

I just stumbled upon this post and have focused on this quote. In order to solve for the energy stored in the capacitor, I think of how the energy is stored--in the E field!

If E = 1/2 CV2, then just plug in V(t) into that equation where t = RC.

I hope that makes sense because I just banged it out on my homework.

...i'm just sayin'

What is a capacitor in an RC circuit?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. In an RC circuit, it is typically connected in series with a resistor and a power source.

How does a capacitor store energy in an RC circuit?

When a capacitor is connected to a power source in an RC circuit, it charges up by allowing electrons to accumulate on one side of the capacitor. This creates an electric field between the two sides of the capacitor, which stores the energy.

What happens to the energy in a capacitor in an RC circuit?

The energy in a capacitor in an RC circuit can either be stored or released. When the capacitor is charging, energy is stored in the electric field. When the capacitor is discharging, the stored energy is released and used to power the circuit.

How does the resistor affect the energy in a capacitor in an RC circuit?

The resistor in an RC circuit controls the rate at which the capacitor charges and discharges. A higher resistance will result in a slower charging and discharging process, while a lower resistance will result in a faster process.

What factors affect the energy in a capacitor in an RC circuit?

The energy in a capacitor in an RC circuit is affected by several factors, including the capacitance of the capacitor, the voltage of the power source, and the resistance of the circuit. Additionally, the time constant, which is determined by the product of resistance and capacitance, also plays a role in determining the energy stored in the capacitor.