Centripital Force and Coefficient of Friction

In summary, the problem asks for the maximum speed at which a 2.00 x 10^3 kg car can go around a circular turn with a radius of 20.0 m without skidding. The formula used is F_c=\frac{mv^2_T}{r} and the coefficient of static friction, 0.70, must be incorporated into the equation on the left side, as F_friction = mg * coefficient of friction.
Metatek
The problem:
A 2.00 x [tex]10^3[/tex] kg car rounds a circular turn of radius 20.0 m. If the road is flat and the coefficient of static friction between the tires and the road is 0.70, how fast can the car go without skidding?
I know that I must use the formula [tex]F_c[/tex]=[tex]\frac{mv^2_T}{r}[/tex]
and so I come up with [tex]F_c=\frac{(2000)(v^2_T)}{20}[/tex]
I have no idea how to incorporate the coefficient of friction into the equation (I know that I need to incorporate it into the left side of the equation, I simply don't know how).

Physics news on Phys.org
The friction force will be
mg*coefficient of friction

neo143 said:
The friction force will be
mg*coefficient of friction
Thanks. I knew it was something simple but my mind was blanking out and I couldn't seem to remember the formula.

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. It is necessary to keep the object moving in its circular path and prevent it from flying off in a straight line.

2. How is centripetal force related to the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. In the case of an object moving in a circular path, the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface it is moving on affects the magnitude of the centripetal force required to keep the object in its circular path.

3. What factors affect the centripetal force?

The factors that affect the centripetal force include the mass of the object, the velocity of the object, and the radius of the circular path. The coefficient of friction between the object and the surface it is moving on also plays a role in determining the magnitude of the centripetal force.

4. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction can be calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force between the two surfaces. The force of friction can be calculated using the equation F = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force.

5. What is the relationship between the coefficient of friction and the centripetal force required to keep an object in its circular path?

The coefficient of friction and the centripetal force have an inverse relationship. As the coefficient of friction increases, the centripetal force required to keep an object in its circular path decreases. This is because a higher coefficient of friction means a greater resistance between the object and the surface, reducing the force needed to keep the object in its circular path.