How do things of opposite charge attract?

• Thread starter joshi-wan kenobi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of virtual particles and how they can result in both attraction and repulsion between particles. While there is still a lack of understanding about why attractive forces exist in the first place, the theory of virtual particles helps explain their behavior. This theory, however, has been criticized for simply replacing one set of behavioral descriptions with another. Some argue that the idea of balance in the universe may play a role in the attraction between particles, but this remains a philosophical rather than scientific explanation.
joshi-wan kenobi
I've racked my brain over this one since I was 15 and I really can't figure it out. I can see how two electrons would bounce away from each other with the exchange of a virtual photon, since one pushes off on the photon and the other absorbs it(even if I don't understand how the electron knows when to shoot out the photon, in which direction and where it goes when it's absorbed). But how a positron and an electron can attract with the same kind of exchange is completely beyond me. Is this just the kinda weirdness that goes on at those levels?

Physics news on Phys.org
In all honesty, this kind of question is really more in the realm of philosophy or the "theory development" thread, than in general physics.

Physics doesn't really describe the mechanisms of the forces as much as it describes their behavior. Even if you go to the unified field theories, or whatnot, there really isn't a good qualitative description of how the forces work.

Thanks, Nate. You put years of wonder to rest with the answer "no one knows." And in a weird way that satisfies me somehow. Now I can get some rest while I wait for them to build bigger particle accelerators. :smile:

Originally posted by joshi-wan kenobi
But how a positron and an electron can attract with the same kind of [virtual] exchange is completely beyond me.

It's not quite true that this is not understood. We don't know why attractive forces exist in the first place, but we understand how virtual particle exchange can result in attraction. There is even a FAQ on this, but IMHO it's not too clearly written for the layman:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Quantum/virtual_particles.html

Originally posted by Ambitwistor
It's not quite true that this is not understood. We don't know why attractive forces exist in the first place, but we understand how virtual particle exchange can result in attraction. There is even a FAQ on this, but IMHO it's not too clearly written for the layman:

What an irony! We both posted the same link and almost at the same time!

Would it not lie in the theme of balanace? Everthing in the universe should/'wants to be balanced therefore an electron will attract a positron?

Originally posted by Ambitwistor

I'm not trying to denigrate the theory of virtual particles, but this doesn't really answer the question that was asked.
Unfortunately this theory does little but replace one set of behavioral descriptions with another. Instead of an electromagnetic field, there is now a quantum field or virtual particle. AFAIK this model makes better predictions than Maxwell's, but it still doesn't explain the atraction.

Would it not lie in the theme of balanace? Everthing in the universe should/'wants to be balanced therefore an electron will attract a positron?
That notion is, as I predicted, philosophic in nature. Moreover, it does not apply to other forces, such as gravity (which is universally attractive).

Originally posted by NateTG
I'm not trying to denigrate the theory of virtual particles, but this doesn't really answer the question that was asked.

Yes, it does. The original poster said that he was fine with virtual particles causing a repulsion, since he could see a particle pushing another particle away, but he didn't understand how the same virtual particles could cause an attraction. The FAQ was written to address that question in the context that it was asked here: how virtual exchange can result in both attraction and repulsion, as opposed to only repulsion.

1. How do opposite charges attract each other?

Opposite charges attract each other due to the fundamental force of electromagnetism. This force is caused by the exchange of virtual particles called photons between two charged particles. The particles with opposite charges will be attracted to each other because they have opposite electric fields.

2. What is the scientific explanation behind the attraction between opposite charges?

The scientific explanation for the attraction between opposite charges lies in the concept of Coulomb's law. This law states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Therefore, particles with opposite charges experience a force of attraction towards each other.

3. Why do opposite charges attract and like charges repel?

This can be understood by considering the concept of potential energy. Opposite charges have a lower potential energy when they are close together, which is why they are attracted to each other. On the other hand, like charges have a higher potential energy when they are close, leading to a repulsive force between them.

4. How does the distance between two opposite charges affect the strength of the attraction?

The strength of the attraction between two opposite charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that the closer the two charges are, the stronger the attraction will be. As the distance between them increases, the force of attraction decreases.

5. Can opposite charges attract each other through a vacuum?

Yes, opposite charges can attract each other through a vacuum. This is because electromagnetism is a long-range force and does not require a medium to travel through. As long as the two charged particles are within range of each other, they will experience a force of attraction regardless of the medium between them.