Investigating Time Taken by Ball Bearing Rolling Down a Slope

In summary, the ball bearing was pulled downward by gravity, but accelerated down the incline due to the incline. The equation of motion for a rolling sphere can be found by plotting distance against time.
alex_boothby
hi chaps, I am doing this work on "investigating how the distance traveled by a ball bearing rolling down a slope affects the time taken" (i know riveting! lol)

and what I've got so far is a table of results (distance it rolled and then how long it took)

ive also got : angle of inclination of ramp = 5 degrees
mass of ball bearing = 16.7g
diameter of ball bearing = 15.3mm

and now basically I've got to do a various amount of equations I am guessing to tell me lots of stuff!

but I am not really sure what I am susposed to be doing, i need a push to get me rolling (excuse the pun!) so can anyone please help me!

thanks a lot, alex!

Physics news on Phys.org
The height of the ball bearing determines the initial gravitational potential energy, which is transformed into kinetic energy of the ball bearing when it is released.

The ball bearing is pulled downward by gravity, but since it is constrained by the incline, it must accelerate down the incline.

Can you find the equation of motion for a rolling sphere?

It seems to me that the purpose of the experiment is to get the equations from the experiment, not to use them as already given. I would suggest this: For each angle, make a graph showing distance on one axis, time on the other. The shape of the graph should give you some ideas. A straight line, for example would be very simple.

If the graph doesn't look simple, try "log-log" paper. That is graph paper where the lines are ruled by log x and log y rather than just x and y. If you don't have that, just mark the points using log x and log y rather than x and y. The point of that is: if y= ax3, then log y= 3 (log x)+ log a- its graph is a straight line.

help

sorry guys I'm just really confused, what i have so far is an excell sheet with how long it took for it to roll down a slope (from a static start) I've plotted a graph, but its not staright, i think I've got to square the distnce or square root it to get it straight but i really just don't know, please guys help! i believe the idea of the work is to end up with a formula or equation bot sure which word to use!

guys to get the graph staright would it be better to do, distance sqaured rooted against time taken, or velocity sqaured??

The whole point is for you to figure that out FROM the data. From what you have said so far, it wouldn't make sense to graph anything against "velocity squared" since you don't know velocity- you only recorded distance and time. TRY various possibilities: graph distance against time, squareroot of distance against time (same as distance against time squared), etc.

The whole point of this experiment is NOT to use a formula you have learned from somewhere else but to use the data you recorded to lead you to the formula.

velocity

but would it be useful to include velocity as i can work it by doing the distance/time taken.

but on another note, i did a graph Average time taken Vs Sqaure root of distance from whcih ball beraing was released, then put a power trendline into give me a staright line then worked out the slope of the line (0.40909) but I'm kinda out of ideas of what to do now, what is that telling and me and how can i relate this all back to the intial title.

i came up with t=m(sqrt(d)) but I am not sure how or what it means or if it helps lol!

thanks for all your help by the way i do appreciate it.

1. What is the purpose of investigating the time taken by a ball bearing rolling down a slope?

The purpose of this investigation is to measure the relationship between the height of a slope and the time it takes for a ball bearing to roll down that slope. This can help us better understand the concept of gravitational potential energy and how it affects the motion of objects.

2. How is the time taken by a ball bearing affected by the height of the slope?

The time taken by a ball bearing to roll down a slope is directly affected by the height of the slope. As the height of the slope increases, the gravitational potential energy also increases, resulting in a faster time for the ball bearing to roll down the slope.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of this investigation?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of this investigation include the smoothness of the slope surface, the size and weight of the ball bearing, air resistance, and the measurement tools used to record the time taken.

4. How many trials should be conducted for this investigation?

To ensure accurate results, it is recommended to conduct at least three trials for each height of the slope. This will help identify any anomalies and provide a more reliable average time for the ball bearing to roll down the slope.

5. How can the results of this investigation be applied in real-world situations?

The results of this investigation can be applied in various real-world situations, such as designing roller coasters or calculating the speed and trajectory of objects rolling down a hill. It can also be used to understand the energy efficiency of different types of ramps or inclines.