My Black Hole Theory: Ely Curless

In summary: Ted BunnIn summary, the traveller will not be destroyed when crossing the event horizon of a black hole, but they may experience weirdness due to the fact that they are now looking at remnants of a surface that has crossed the event horizon.
Ely Curless
I was thinking a while back about Black holes and how they could pull in light and matter. I just thought of a problem about this. If a Black Hole could pull strong and fast enough to pull light, then wouldn’t any matter would turned into light or energy itself while being pulled into the Black Hole? According to Einstein’s laws this is true.

-Ely Curless

Physics news on Phys.org
We cannot say what form matter (or light) actually takes once inside a black hole, because those qualities no longer matter to the outside world. Outside a black hole, only the mass, charge, and angular momentum matter.

- Warren

Ely Curless said:
I was thinking a while back about Black holes and how they could pull in light and matter. I just thought of a problem about this. If a Black Hole could pull strong and fast enough to pull light, then wouldn’t any matter would turned into light or energy itself while being pulled into the Black Hole? According to Einstein’s laws this is true.
-Ely Curless

A traveller going into a black hole will eventually be destroyed by tidal forces, but nothing particularly weird will happen to them from their own perspective at the event horizon itself if the black hole is large enough. They will not "turn into energy" for instance.
See for instance Ted Bunn's black hole FAQ

http://cosmology.berkeley.edu/Education/BHfaq.html#q3

"What will happen to me if I fall into a black hole".

I think it would be weird to be driving down the highway minding your own business and suddenly see leftover images of the surface of some star whose surface previously crossed the event horizon you're now crossing (and whose photons--that make up the image of the former surface--have been hovering at the event horizon ever since). General relativity allows such weirdness.

1. What is the Black Hole Theory?

The Black Hole Theory is a scientific concept that suggests the existence of a point in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape from it. This point is called a black hole and it is formed when a massive star collapses in on itself.

2. How does the Black Hole Theory explain the behavior of black holes?

The Black Hole Theory explains that black holes have an event horizon, which is the point of no return where the gravitational pull becomes too strong for anything to escape. This is why black holes appear dark, as even light cannot escape from them. The theory also explains how matter and energy get pulled into the black hole and how it can distort space and time around it.

3. How did Ely Curless contribute to the Black Hole Theory?

Ely Curless was a physicist who expanded on the Black Hole Theory by proposing that black holes have a temperature and emit radiation, now known as Hawking radiation. This was a groundbreaking idea that helped to further our understanding of black holes and their behavior.

4. Is the Black Hole Theory widely accepted in the scientific community?

Yes, the Black Hole Theory is widely accepted in the scientific community and is supported by a large body of evidence, including observations of black holes and their effects on surrounding matter. However, there are still ongoing studies and research being conducted to further our understanding of black holes and their behavior.

5. How does the Black Hole Theory relate to other theories in physics?

The Black Hole Theory is closely related to other theories in physics, such as Einstein's theory of general relativity, which explains the relationship between gravity and the curvature of space-time. It also relates to quantum mechanics, which studies the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level. These theories work together to help us understand the behavior of black holes and the universe as a whole.