Sound pressure level magnitude question.

In summary: B is roughly the threshold of death.In summary, the question asks for the sound pressure level that would represent a magnitude of 1000 times increase over 150 decibels. By applying the inverse-square law and the relationship between pressure and particle velocity, the answer is approximately 210 decibels, which is loud enough to cause pain and even death.
soundguy
Hey all,

I've got an audio related question for you guys/gals:

I understand the logarithmic relationship to SPL, but would someone help me out with a simple question and post a formula as to how you arrive at an answer? Assuming a start value of 150 decibels, what pressure level would represent a magnitude of 1000 times increase over 150dB?

-As a side note, cool forum! Everything from mathematics to religion and alien abduction; you don't find that often! I'm sure I'll be spending too much free time reading threads in the future. :biggrin:

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
soundguy said:
Hey all,

I've got an audio related question for you guys/gals:

I understand the logarithmic relationship to SPL, but would someone help me out with a simple question and post a formula as to how you arrive at an answer? Assuming a start value of 150 decibels, what pressure level would represent a magnitude of 1000 times increase over 150dB?

do you mean, what dB level for 1000 times more sound pressure? or what is the pressure level for 150,000 dB :eek: (i think 150,000 dB SPL will liquify everything.)

-As a side note, cool forum! Everything from mathematics to religion and alien abduction; you don't find that often! I'm sure I'll be spending too much free time reading threads in the future. :biggrin:
Thanks!

i don't deal with the alien abduction and haven't seen any religion here.

but i don't do all of the forums.

rbj said:
do you mean, what dB level for 1000 times more sound pressure? or what is the pressure level for 150,000 dB :eek: (i think 150,000 dB SPL will liquify everything.)

Right on the first part...what sound pressure level would be 1000 times more spl than 150db.

i don't deal with the alien abduction and haven't seen any religion here.

but i don't do all of the forums
It's down in the Lounge and Philosophy sections.

No one? :confused:

soundguy said:
Right on the first part...what sound pressure level would be 1000 times more spl than 150db.

well, think of pressure like voltage and particle velocity like current. for example, a spherically expanding sound wave will obey the inverse-square law as far as power (more specifically, intensity, which is power per unit area) so the power or intensity is reduced by a factor of 4 (or and additive gain of -6.02 dB) every time the distance from the point source is double. also, for a sound wave front, the r.m.s. pressure times the r.m.s. particle velocity (the component of the particle velocity that is in-phase with the pressure wave) multiply to be intensity, and it also turns out that both are 1/r. so to reduce the magnitude of the pressure wave by a factor of 1000, i would have to increase my distance by a factor of 1000, which means i double it about 10 times (210 = 1024) so that would be about 60 dB. (in fact it would be exactly 60 dB if you look at the exact definition of dB.) so i guess your answer is 210 dB which is so friggin' loud, only a martyr or a masochist would be willing to be subjected to it. 0 dB is roughly the threshold of hearing and 130 is roughly the threshold of pain and 150 dB is louder than anything i would ever want to hear.

1. What is sound pressure level magnitude?

Sound pressure level magnitude is a measure of the amplitude or strength of a sound wave. It is typically measured in decibels (dB) and is a logarithmic scale that relates the measured sound pressure to a reference level.

2. How is sound pressure level magnitude measured?

Sound pressure level magnitude is typically measured using a sound level meter. This device measures the intensity of sound waves and converts it into decibels.

3. What is the reference level for sound pressure level magnitude?

The reference level for sound pressure level magnitude is 20 micropascals (μPa), which is considered the minimum sound pressure level that the average human ear can detect.

4. How does sound pressure level magnitude affect our perception of sound?

Sound pressure level magnitude is directly related to the loudness of a sound. Higher sound pressure levels correspond to louder sounds, while lower sound pressure levels correspond to quieter sounds. Our perception of sound is also affected by other factors such as frequency and duration.

5. Can sound pressure level magnitude be harmful to our hearing?

Yes, exposure to high sound pressure levels can be harmful to our hearing. Prolonged exposure to sounds above 85 dB can cause permanent hearing damage. It is important to protect our ears by wearing earplugs or limiting exposure to loud sounds.