What Types of Beer Do You Prefer?

• Thread starter Jonny_trigonometry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beer
In summary, the types of beer preferred by individuals vary greatly. Some enjoy light and refreshing lagers, while others prefer bold and hoppy IPAs. Stouts and porters appeal to those who enjoy a rich and full-bodied flavor, while wheat beers are popular among those who prefer a lighter and citrusy taste. Belgian and sour beers also have their own devoted fan base. Ultimately, the type of beer one prefers is a matter of personal taste and preference.
Jonny_trigonometry
who here likes beer, what what is your favorite beer?
Who hates beer?

'cause I was just thinkin I could go for a beer right now... I don't know what kind, but just simply a beer would be nice right now. If I had to say which kind I like I'd say I'm kinda partial to lagers, pale ales, and wheat ales.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a beer once in a long while in social situations. I'm not really a fan of beer at all. In fact, I've never consumed enough beer in one sitting to feel any affect from the alcohol. I suppose I'll eventually get use it. Or, I won't care to.

Jonny_trigonometry said:
who here likes beer, what what is your favorite beer?
Who hates beer?

'cause I was just thinkin I could go for a beer right now... I don't know what kind, but just simply a beer would be nice right now. If I had to say which kind I like I'd say I'm kinda partial to lagers, pale ales, and wheat ales.

Not a fan of beer at all. Much more a hard liquour man. Vodka, rum, Aftershock, its all good. Beer not so much. Guinness is good though, I'll go out of my way to get that. But that's about it.

Beer tastes bad.

Belgium beer is the best by far :) And Orval is my fav.

If you live in LA I know where you can go. There is a nice bar on the pier of redondo beach. The owner is a self confessed beer geek, and knows everything you could ever want about beer, and has a massive collection. Not quiet as big as the pub down the street from my appartment, but hey I live in Brussels.

There are wine people and there are beer people.

I've been to about two dozen wine tastings and I still can't tell the difference between Merlot and Pinot Noir. I know enough to know that any wine people out there are on their backs laughing at me right now.

I can, however, taste the difference between lager, IPA, Pilsner, bitter (well duh), stout, and white beers (without looking).

Winos...I mean "wine people" sometimes feel that their preferred beverage is more cultured; I totally disagree. And that stuff consumed at ballgames is not "beer."

I love beer and I homebrew. I like to try different styles but I more bias for english ales and typically the darker one (brown, porters and stouts).

Homebrew gives you a chance to produce different types of ales and lager.

I have brew at least 20 different style of beer. My IPA seems to be the favorite among people that drink my beer. Right now, I have an imperial stout that has been aged for more than a year.

I only like beer in the summer, and then I tend to go for local micro-beers..like Detroit Red.

iansmith said:
I love beer and I homebrew. I like to try different styles but I more bias for english ales and typically the darker one (brown, porters and stouts).

Homebrew gives you a chance to produce different types of ales and lager.

I have brew at least 20 different style of beer. My IPA seems to be the favorite among people that drink my beer. Right now, I have an imperial stout that has been aged for more than a year.
Ian, my man! I'm coming right over.

I am a brown ale, porter, stout lover. :tongue2:

The darker and heavier, the better.

And I like Single Malt Scotch or Whisky as well, although I like some blends.

I can't stand bourbon though! :yuck:

And I like Single Malt Scotch or Whisky as well, although I like some blends.

Good man.. what's you tipple? Lagavulin is my fav right now, second being laphroiag... Actually most of the islay malts, I prefer the peaty wiskeys

Anttech said:
Good man.. what's your tipple? Lagavulin is my fav right now, second being laphroiag... Actually most of the islay malts, I prefer the peaty wiskeys
Lagavulin and Laphroiag are both excellent, as are the Islay malts in general. Macallan (http://www.themacallan.com/) and Glenmorangie (http://www.glenmorangie.com/) are also favorites, and generally 18-25 yrs. Macallan is a Speyside and Glenmorangie from the Northern Highlands.

In Japan, I enjoyed Suntori Black, a blend - straight - no water, no ice.

At a dinner in Osaka, I was served a whisky diluted and with ice. :yuck: I had to send it back twice, first to remove the ice, and second to get it straight. They were not used to someone who drinks whisky unadulterated.

Let's not forget this is a beer thread. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
what are Lagavulin and Laphroiag? can you get those in the US?

Seriously now -

Anti-inflammatory effect of beer

Scientists at Innsbruck Medical University have succeeded in demonstrating the anti-inflammatory effect of beer extracts. In vitro experiments conducted at the Division of Biological Chemistry at the Innsbruck Biocenter by Prof. Dietmar Fuchs and his team on peripheral mononuclear blood cells show that beer extracts block interferon-gamma-induced chemical processes.

Interferon-gamma is one of the most important messengers in inflammatory response and is mainly produced as part of the cellular immune response. Beer extracts inhibit, among other things, the production of neopterin and the degradation of tryptophan by suppressing T-cell response. This suppression might be connected with the calming effect of beer since its normalising effect on the tryptophan balance improves the availability of the "happiness hormone" serotonin.

Alcohol-free beer works just as well

The metabolic paths affected by beer extracts are closely linked with the pathogenesis of chronic diseases in particular. It seems that the ingredients of beer have the potential to have a positive impact on such diseases. The effect resembles that of wine but also that of green as well as black tea, which were studied in Innsbruck and elsewhere a few years ago. The health enhancing effect of such beverages, especially of red wine and green tea, have been known for some time. Of particular interest is a beneficial impact on coronary heart diseases. “On the basis of our new findings, beer must be added to the list of beverages with potentially anti-inflammatory components“, Prof. Fuchs explained. “As with wine, this must of course be weighed against the negative effects and dangers of drinking alcohol”. The effect of the beer extracts discovered in Innsbruck, however, is not only very similar in all tested types of beer but also unrelated to their alcohol content. “The effects could indeed be observed on extracts of alcohol-free beers, our findings must therefore not be understood as an encouragement to drink alcohol,” concluded professor Fuchs.
http://www.innovations-report.de/html/berichte/medizin_gesundheit/bericht-56005.html

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6W7N-4H6XNCT-1&_coverDate=03%2F31%2F2006&_alid=373454714&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_qd=1&_cdi=6631&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=841e9c7228965aab7c6ba9acb47a6e37

:cool:

I like good beers (that means keep that watered down Bud crap away from me). IPAs and bitters are among my favorites, though I haven't been able to find a good bitter in the U.S. (I was sampling as many as I could during my brief visit to the U.K. a few years back). Contrary to the name, I didn't find bitters to be bitter at all. And, then on a cool evening, sometimes a porter or stout is just the thing to enjoy next to the fire.

Chi Meson, as for the difference between a merlot and a pinot noir, that's easy...the merlot is the one I don't like (it always gives me a headache...lots of sulfites I think). :biggrin: I let the wine snobs pick the wines, and just put in the caveat that I don't want a merlot or chardonnay, but anything else is okay, and they usually find something that tastes good to me. Have you ever tried two wines side-by-side? That's when you can tell the difference a bit better. The same for anyone trying beers who can't tell the difference...try some different ones side-by-side and you'll better see how they compare.

In Japan, I enjoyed Suntori Black, a blend - straight - no water, no ice.

Japanise brewer used to send there children to scotland to "learn" the inner working of good wiskey making.. Problem is it's in the water ;) uisge beatha

I would be intertested in tasting some tho...

Last edited:
ok, who wants to go to the American Beer Fest 2006 in Boston?

Jonny_trigonometry said:
I'm tempted. :biggrin:

We had a Belgian Beer Fest at Ommegang Brewery near Cooperstown, NY last year. I didn't go due to a conflict, but I am hoping to go to the next one.

http://www.ommegang.com/

Some recipes - http://www.ommegang.com/index.php?mcat=6&scat=3

Main Dishes :tongue2:
Blackened Ribs with Rare Vos and Chipotle Pepper Aioli
Braised Pork Shanks w/ Dried Figs and Ommegang
Bistro Beef Stew With Rare Vos
Flemish-Style Roast with Ommegang
Gratin of Wild Salmon on a Bed of Leeks with Rare Vos
Ommegang Summer Chicken with Orange Hennepin Glaze
Braised Duck Legs in Apple-Rare Vos Reduction with Prosciutto and Portabella Mushrooms
Artichoke Risotto with Prosciutto and Hennepin
Choucroute Garni Ommegang
Gorgonzola Hennepin Chicken

Desserts and Sweet Tastes :tongue2: :tongue2:
Almond Biscotti with Rare Vos Dipping Sauce
Apple Pancakes with Hennepin
Bread Pudding with Ommegang Ale
Chocolate Abbey Ale Cake
Ginger Bread Ommegang Cake
Hennepin Spice Bars
Ommegang Liege Waffles
Rare Vos Cheddar Cheese Cake
Three Philosophers Ultimate Brownies

Sauces :tongue2:
Raspberry/Rare Vos Vinaigrette

:cool: :biggrin:

Jonny_trigonometry said:

If I had the money. Montreal has good beer festival every year. There's a great choice of beer to sample. I have been there for the last 2 years.Too bad I won't be in town that week.
http://www.festivalmondialbiere.qc.ca/EN/EVENT/info.html

I make a point of trying as many different beers as possible when I'm down the pub. Stout and IPA are a couple of my favorites, but I'll drink most types of bitter, mild, etc etc. Cheap lagers are a last resort :yuck:.

And Islay malts are heavenly!
Its deffinately to do with the water- when I was staying on the Isle of skye the tap water was a little brown and tasted a tiny bit of whisky. A drop of that in a glass of malt brought out the flavours so well. The water where I live just doesn't do it the same.

i don't really drink socially, i mean if I'm going to drink it's to get hammered o:) and then it's the hard stuff made tastey, if i had to pick beer or wine it would be wine. the times i do drink grog is usually as a chaser and never liked the taste so i go with the most watery tasting stuff, corona and lime. i never understood people who enjoyed the taste of beer, to me it taste like crap :yuck: . i also never got the taste for coffee but i do like tea, dunno.

Wellp.. beer's a funny thing. If I had to choose between shots and beer, I'd probably go with beer. Personally I like Miller and Guinness.. heck maybe ill have one this Friday with a few EMTs and paramedics from work :tongue2:

Moonbear said:
I like good beers (that means keep that watered down Bud crap away from me). IPAs and bitters are among my favorites, though I haven't been able to find a good bitter in the U.S. (I was sampling as many as I could during my brief visit to the U.K. a few years back). Contrary to the name, I didn't find bitters to be bitter at all. And, then on a cool evening, sometimes a porter or stout is just the thing to enjoy next to the fire.

Chi Meson, as for the difference between a merlot and a pinot noir, that's easy...the merlot is the one I don't like (it always gives me a headache...lots of sulfites I think). :biggrin: I let the wine snobs pick the wines, and just put in the caveat that I don't want a merlot or chardonnay, but anything else is okay, and they usually find something that tastes good to me. Have you ever tried two wines side-by-side? That's when you can tell the difference a bit better. The same for anyone trying beers who can't tell the difference...try some different ones side-by-side and you'll better see how they compare.

what is your address moonbear? i will send you some microbrewed IPAs from PA that will knock your socks off. ever heard of Hopdevil by Victory? It is an awesome beer that is hoppy and bitter like it actually claims. It also has one of the highest ratings on beeradvocate.com. I will also throw in a few troegs, which is also another awesome beer.

Anyway. My fav. beers are

-yuenling (also america's oldest beer!) for best big company beer
-hop devil for best beer in existence
-Lion's head for best cheapest beer of all time
other good beers that i like are magic hat #9, fuller's london porter, pretty much anything from rogue beer, corsendonk. in the summers i love drinking red stripe.

I like Guinness. Other than that I only like a few certain stouts and or something that is at least as dark as a New Castle. The only other names I can come up with off the top of my head are Negra Modelo and Sapporo.

I found it funny that France makes a top rated beer. I can imagine that at some time some where it was said that when the French make a good beer it will be the end of the world (for lack of desire rather than lack of ability). And so we have the top rated La Fin Du Monde.
Still no groan smiley.

I just knocked down a shot of Black Bush and I'm chasin it with a Harp lager. So what? Buuurrp!

Whisky tasting

We'll have to chance this thread to "Beer and Whisky" :biggrin:

Anyway, how's this?

Glenlivet 1955 -Aged 46 years
Glen Grant 1955 - Aged 46 Years
ONE MORE SURPRISE SCOTCH TO BE SERVED !

Appetizer
Lollipop Baby Lamb Chops with curry mint jus

Entree
Prime Rib of Beef with crispy fried onions

Dessert
Cinnamon Chocolate Mousse (I'm not sure about cinnamon and chococlate)

$295 per person (includes tax & service)
$250 Before March 12th - EXTREMELY LIMITED AVAILABILITY

http://www.parkeastgrill.com/March20Scotch.htm

TheStatutoryApe said:
I like Guinness.
Well, my car is due for an oil change, so maybe I'll brew some up. :yuck:

My favorite would lie somewhere between Laughing Lab and Leingenkuller's Red (I wouldn't guarantee the second is spelled correctly). Killian's tends to taste a little watered down compared to these.

Laughing Lab is a local Colorado Springs beer and has a slightly bitter bite compared to the Leingenkullers. I first tried the Leingenkuller's as a substitute for Laughing Lab and Killian's when I was in Italy. Turns out it's made in Milwaukee, but isn't available everywhere (I finally found a liquor store in Colorado Springs that carries it).

It's been a while since I've had a Guinness, but I got one a couple nights ago, and I found that it actually tastes very watered down. I sort of thought that was counterintuitive because it's so dark and has such thick foam, but I tell ya, it's like drinking old well water.:yuck:

Has anyone tried those hot pepper beers? I got a sixer of that like 8 months ago, and oh man, that stuff is spicy. It got the worst beer award on beeradvocate.com my friend told me at the time. I'm thinkin i kinda want to get some more of that tonight.:biggrin:

Jonny_trigonometry said:
It's been a while since I've had a Guinness, but I got one a couple nights ago, and I found that it actually tastes very watered down. I sort of thought that was counterintuitive because it's so dark and has such thick foam, but I tell ya, it's like drinking old well water.:yuck:
The draught[draft] is pretty mild. Try a Guinness extra stout sometime.

I liked pretty much every beer I drank besides the really cheap brands.

Things like Corona, Coors Light, Budweiser, Alexander Keith's, etc...

They all taste good to me.

I don't drink often, so I don't go looking for anything specific.

Beer stinks!
Arrogant Bastard Ale: "You're Not Worthy" It's not too expensive - You're too cheap. Fizzy yellow beer is for wussies.

I know, you think I'm drunk and just makin this up. Well you could be half right . . . but you're not!

http://www.arrogantbastard.com/"

Anyone know any sweet(ish) non-bitter tasting drinks? I don't like the bitter taste of beer or wine. I need something for my sweet tooth.