Relative Speeds and the Limit of Light

• Thread starter nu_paradigm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relative
In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of exceeding the speed of light (c) by traveling at speeds slightly more than c/2 and passing by a stationary plane mirror or another object traveling in the opposite direction at the same speed. The principles of time dilation and phase velocity are brought up to explain why this may not be possible. The conversation also mentions the concept of relative speed and how it is measured between two points, not between three. Overall, the hypothesis of exceeding the speed of light in this scenario is deemed highly improbable.
nu_paradigm
Relative speeds reaching c??

Just an idea...

Suppose i am traveling at the speed of slightly more than c/2 with respect to ground and there is a stationary plane mirror in which i can view myself approaching the mirror. Now won't my relative speed with respect to my image be more than c??
Since time dilation would be equal for me and my image... so can i violate the law that speed of c cannot be attained??

Similarly if i am traveling at slightly more than c/2 and pass someone going in the opposite direction at the same speed as me... again will i view him going at speed over c??

I know attaining speed of c/2 is highly improbable... but if this is overlooked... is this hypothesis possible??

Physics news on Phys.org
No one ever said that c cannot be obtained. They only said it cannot be obtained by things that have mass. Your image has no mass. It's no different than if you had a beacon of light that could be seen at 1 light second, then rotating whatever is emitting the beam at faster than 1 cycle per second. The light would appear to be traveling along the circumference of the 1 light second radius circle at a speed of pi*c. Google phase velocity and you'll see what I mean.

This is a variation of the idea of two ships moving away from a central point at .5C - do they add to 1C? The answer is no, they don't. Speed is something you measure between two points, not between 3. The center point could say that the ships have a "separation speed" of 1C, but that doesn't mean they measure their own speed relative to each other to be 1C - for that you still need the Lorentz equation.

1. What is the speed of light (c)?

The speed of light, c, is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. It is considered to be the fastest possible speed in the universe and serves as a fundamental constant in many scientific equations.

2. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. Objects with mass would require an infinite amount of energy to reach this speed, making it impossible to achieve.

3. How do relative speeds affect the perception of time?

The theory of relativity states that time is relative to the observer's frame of reference. As an object approaches the speed of light, time appears to slow down for that object. This is known as time dilation.

4. Is it possible to travel at the speed of light?

While it is theoretically possible for objects with no mass, such as photons, to travel at the speed of light, it is not possible for objects with mass to reach this speed due to the infinite amount of energy required.

5. How does the speed of light impact our understanding of the universe?

The speed of light plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. It allows us to measure and calculate distances between objects in space, and it also helps us understand the behavior of objects at high speeds. The theory of relativity, which was developed based on the speed of light, has greatly shaped our understanding of the laws of physics.