Plane landing on barge (momentum)

In summary, a plane with mass 1000kg lands on a stationary 2000kg-barge at an initial velocity of 50m/s. The only force to consider is the braking force which is 1/4 of the plane's weight (2450N). Using conservation of momentum, the velocity of the plane-barge system can be determined to be 16.67m/s, and the distance the plane travels during landing can be calculated using the formula d = v2t - 1/2 at^2. The distance of the barge can then be determined by subtracting the distance traveled by the plane from the total distance. This problem assumes a frictionless water-body and a long barge.
plutonium
A plane with mass 1000kg lands on a stationary 2000kg-barge at an initial velocity of 50m/s. The only force to consider is the braking force which is 1/4 of the plane's weight (2450N). How long does the barge have to be if the plane lands at one end of the barge and stops at the other end?

Here's what my friend did:
1. calculate the acceleration (or rather deceleration) to be -2.45 m/s^2.
2. used v2 = v1 + at to determine time, which works out to be about 20.4s.
3. used conservation of momentum to determine the velocity of the plane-barge system, which is 16.67m/s.
4. used the velocity of the plane-barge system and time from step 2 to determine the distance, which is 340m (the correct answer BTW).

My question is, how does it work? I understand step 1, and step 2 sort of makes sense. Step 3 makes sense too, but the velocity of the plane-barge system is moving together, so from the way I understand it, the plane is at rest relative to the barge. Step 4 works out if I assume that the barge does not move. I'm just really confused by all of this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that there are some canceling errors.
Consider:
If the plane spends 20 seconds slowing down, then it's final velocity will be 0 m/s, but you've got the barge moving at 16.67 meters per second, so the two aren't at rest w.r.t. each other.

plutonium said:
A plane with mass 1000kg lands on a stationary 2000kg-barge at an initial velocity of 50m/s. The only force to consider is the braking force which is 1/4 of the plane's weight (2450N). How long does the barge have to be if the plane lands at one end of the barge and stops at the other end?

My question is, how does it work? I understand step 1, and step 2 sort of makes sense. Step 3 makes sense too, but the velocity of the plane-barge system is moving together, so from the way I understand it, the plane is at rest relative to the barge. Step 4 works out if I assume that the barge does not move. I'm just really confused by all of this.
I think you have to assume that the barge is free to move and is on a frictionless water-body. The impulse of: the braking force x time gives the barge momentum and reduces the plane's momentum. The changes in momentum of each are equal and opposite.

Use overall conservation of momentum to determine the speed of the plane and barge together. That will give you the change in momentum of the plane and of the barge. The impulse (Ft) must equal that change. The time will then enable you to work out the distance covered by the plane in landing (force/acceleration is constant so how is time related to distance and acceleration?). In that time period, how far has the barge moved? Subtract the two to find the barge's minimum length.

BTW, this question bears no resemblance to reality. For the plane to land on the barge it must be a long barge. It would have a mass much greater than double the mass of the airplane. A 2 T. barge would be about the size of a large motor boat.

AM

Last edited:
So you are saying that:
[tex]F \Delta t = \Delta p_{plane} = -\Delta p_{barge}[/tex] ?

I worked out the change in momentum of the plane to be -3333.33, and t to be 13.61, then used d = v2t - 1/2 at^2, and determined distance to be 227m.

plutonium said:
So you are saying that:
[tex]F \Delta t = \Delta p_{plane} = -\Delta p_{barge}[/tex] ?

I worked out the change in momentum of the plane to be -3333.33, and t to be 13.61, then used d = v2t - 1/2 at^2, and determined distance to be 227m.
[tex]p_{p} = m_pv = p'_{pb} = (m_p+m_b)v'[/tex]

[tex]v' = \frac{m_p}{m_p+m_b}v[/tex]

so:
[tex]\Delta p_{p} = m_pv(1 - \frac{m_p}{m_p+m_b}) = \frac{2}{3}m_pv [/tex]

[tex] \Delta p_p = \frac{1}{3}1000*50 = 33333[/tex] Kg m/sec

The rest of your answer is correct. Distance = 227 m.

AM

1. How does a plane land on a barge using momentum?

In order for a plane to land on a barge using momentum, the pilot must first approach the barge with a certain amount of speed and momentum. As the plane touches down on the barge, the wheels of the plane must be able to absorb the impact and the pilot must adjust the thrust of the engines to counteract the momentum of the plane and bring it to a complete stop.

2. What factors affect the success of a plane landing on a barge using momentum?

The success of a plane landing on a barge using momentum depends on several factors, including the speed and direction of the wind, the size and stability of the barge, the skills and experience of the pilot, and the weight and balance of the plane. Any miscalculations or unexpected changes in these factors can greatly impact the success of the landing.

3. How does the momentum of the plane and the barge affect the landing?

The momentum of the plane and the barge play a crucial role in the landing process. The pilot must carefully calculate the momentum of the plane and adjust the thrust of the engines accordingly to ensure a safe and smooth landing. The momentum of the barge must also be taken into consideration, as it can affect the stability of the landing and the ability of the plane to come to a complete stop.

4. What safety measures are in place for a plane landing on a barge using momentum?

There are several safety measures that are in place to ensure a successful landing on a barge using momentum. The pilot must undergo specialized training and have a certain level of experience before attempting this type of landing. The plane must also undergo thorough inspections and maintenance to ensure it is in optimal condition for the landing. Additionally, there are protocols in place for emergency situations that may arise during the landing process.

5. What are the benefits of using momentum for a plane landing on a barge?

Using momentum for a plane landing on a barge allows for greater precision and control during the landing process. It also allows for a smoother and more efficient landing, as the pilot can use the momentum of the plane to their advantage. This technique is also useful in situations where a traditional runway is not available, making it a valuable skill for pilots to possess.