Help With Practical Exam - Struggling with Equations

In summary, Hess' Law is a law of thermodynamics that states that the standard enthalpy change for a reaction is equal to the sum of the heat of formation of the products minus the sum of the heat of formation of the reactants.
RigidBody
hello i really struggle with this!

i can never get the equations right or anything!

i can't find any sites that help!

i have a practical exam tomorow that could be about it

please help thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Feel free to post a problem and show your approach. That would probably be the best way for us to help you because we can clearly see where you make your mistakes.

All Hess's law is saying is that the standard enthalpy change for a reaction is equal to the sum of the heat of formation of the products minus the sum of the heat of formation of the ractants.

A quick google search for "Hess's Law Tutorial" brings this website: http://www.wwnorton.com/chemistry/tutorials/ch11.htm Scroll down and click on the Hess's law tutorial (all the way at the bottom)

Last edited by a moderator:
if you've done them, it's the same thing as: delta S reaction= delta S formation of products - delta S formation of reactants. the same goes for delta G reaction.

many things in chem deal with the answer being products minus reactants or products over reactants and such

I always find it helpful to draw a diagram.
Then you can follow the arrows to show you which way round the diagram is equal to the bit you want. Change the sign of any arrows you have to go backwards on. (I'll rustle up an example diagram and scan it in sometime this week.)

In its most general form, Hess' Law merely reiterates the fact that enthalpy is a state function, not a path function. But this is nothing new to us. What's new is the way we apply this to the determination of unknown enthalpies of certain reactions given enthalpies of certain other related reactions.

The fact that enthalpy is a state variable allows us to add chamical equations (and their associated enthalpies) like we do algebraic equations (without any concern for the order in which terms are added). The problem in chemistry, thus gets reduced to one of solving simultaneous linear equations.

1. How can I improve my understanding of equations for my practical exam?

To improve your understanding of equations, it is important to practice solving different types of equations and familiarize yourself with the steps involved. You can also seek help from your teacher or a tutor for extra guidance.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving equations include not following the correct order of operations, forgetting to distribute or combine like terms, and making simple arithmetic errors. It is important to double check your work and identify any mistakes before moving on to the next step.

3. How can I remember the different types of equations for my exam?

To remember the different types of equations, it can be helpful to create flashcards or practice writing them out multiple times. You can also try to make connections between the equations and their real-world applications to help with memorization.

4. What resources are available to help me with equations for my practical exam?

There are many resources available to help with equations, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. Your teacher or school may also offer extra help sessions or review materials. Don't be afraid to reach out for help when needed.

5. How can I stay calm and focused during my practical exam for equations?

To stay calm and focused during your practical exam, it is important to prepare beforehand by studying and practicing solving equations. During the exam, take deep breaths and read each question carefully. If you get stuck on a problem, move on to the next one and come back to it later. Remember to manage your time effectively and don't panic if you make a mistake, just keep moving forward.