How Do You Make A Ping Pong Launcher?

• Thread starter DarkWeiss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Launcher
In summary, the person is asking for help with making a ping pong launcher and they mention that they are new to the community and have no idea what to do. They ask for help with finding information and the person offers to refer them to a website.
DarkWeiss
Hey. :)
I'm new here and this is my first post... so please bear with me... xo

I'm a 4th year high school and we're going to have an activity in Physics tomorrow. We need to make a ping pong launcher that will make the ball stay in the air for the longest period of time. Here are the materials allowed:
1/2 cartolina
20pcs. rubberband
tape
string
scissors
glue
ping pong ball

We should design our own and I practically have no idea because this is the first time that we're going to have an activity that requires us to actually think and design and make something.

I've though about making it in a "catapult" sort of way but I don't know how. A sort of "slingshot" form looks okay and easy to make. You know, roll the cartolinas to make two posts then attach the rubberbands between the two poles then you could propel the ball to the air through that set up.

But there must be the BEST way and i need to know what it is.

I'd appreciate all the help you can give.

Thanks. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Wait... this isn't a redundunt question, is it?

'Coz, you know, I'm new and all and maybe there's already like thousands who've asked before.

If that's the case, sorry. T___T

But if you would be so kind, please refer to me where I could find the help that UI would need.

Thanks. ^____^

I need some sleep. it's 3:42AM here so I'll be back later.

^____^

No idea what cartolina is. Not that it matters much.

You should have little trouble working out what the characteristics of an ideal launcher are using physics, and work your way backward from there.

Dictionary.com tells me cartolina means "postcard" in Italian.

I think a slingshot is the way to go. You can use the scissor handles to form the slingshot.

If you know how to use a sling then probably that would be better than a slingshot. I don't know how to use a sling, but it looks like you could make it.

Also you might want to look into making the ball heavier--maybe fill it with glue--if that's allowed.

Last edited:
Thanks. ^__^

Our activity's done already and, yeah, we made a slingshot.

We've managed to let it stay in the air for 3.28 seconds.. but the longest was 4.02 seconds.. oh well.

Thanks again for all the help. :D

The contest shouldn't have been keeping it in the air longest, it should have been launching the ball the farthest :S

1. How does a ping pong launcher work?

A ping pong launcher works by using stored potential energy to launch a ping pong ball. This energy is released in a controlled manner, propelling the ball forward at a high velocity.

2. What materials are needed to make a ping pong launcher?

The materials needed to make a ping pong launcher include a PVC pipe, a rubber band, a wooden dowel, a launch mechanism (such as a mousetrap), and some basic tools for assembly.

3. How do you assemble a ping pong launcher?

To assemble a ping pong launcher, first cut the PVC pipe to the desired length. Then, attach the rubber band to one end of the pipe and the wooden dowel to the other end. Next, attach the launch mechanism to the wooden dowel. Finally, load a ping pong ball into the launcher and pull back the launch mechanism to fire the ball.

4. How far can a ping pong launcher shoot a ball?

The distance a ping pong launcher can shoot a ball varies depending on the strength of the rubber band and the angle at which the ball is launched. On average, a ping pong launcher can shoot a ball up to 30 feet.

5. Is it safe to use a ping pong launcher?

As with any projectile launcher, it is important to use caution and follow safety guidelines when using a ping pong launcher. Make sure to aim the launcher away from people and fragile objects, and never aim it at someone's face. It is also important to wear safety goggles while using the launcher.