Cylinder problem:restriction on the height if the radious

In summary, a cylindrical frame is built from 6m of wire and covered with paper to form a closed cylinder. The expression for the radius r in terms of the height h is r=3-2h/3pi. To ensure that the radius is at least 10cm, the restriction on the height is h > (30pi - 3)/-2.
Aoiro
A cylindrical frame consisting of three circles and four vertical supports is built from 6m of wire, as shown. The frame is then covered with paper to form a closed cylinder.
1. Determine an expression for the radius r in terms of the height h.
2. determine the restriction on the height if the radious of the cylendar must be atleast 10.
I got the first one;
1.r=3-2h/3pi
But I did not get the second one
10 > 3- 2h/3pi

3pi(10)> 3- 2h

30pi-3 > -2h

(30pi - 3)/-2 < h

Can someone help me? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A good question would be 10 what? m? Miles? pounds?

Recall that the length of the wire is given in meters, so if you try to make a 10m diameter circle you will have troubles.

^ sorry, 10cm

You need to use 10cm=0.1m, as you used 6m initially. Also, I think your < is the wrong way round.

^ thank you

What is the cylinder problem?

The cylinder problem refers to a mathematical problem that involves finding the maximum volume of a cylinder with a given radius and a restriction on the height.

Why is there a restriction on the height in this problem?

The restriction on the height is typically imposed to represent real-world constraints or limitations. For example, a cylinder may need to fit within a certain space or have a maximum weight limit.

What is the formula for the volume of a cylinder?

The formula for the volume of a cylinder is V = πr2h, where r is the radius and h is the height.

How do you find the maximum volume of a cylinder with a restriction on the height?

To find the maximum volume, you can use the calculus method of optimization. This involves finding the derivative of the volume formula, setting it equal to zero, and solving for the critical points. The critical point with the highest volume will be the maximum volume.

What are some real-world applications of the cylinder problem with a restriction on the height?

One real-world application is in the design of storage containers, such as water tanks or propane tanks, where there may be limitations on the height of the cylinder. Another application is in the optimization of packaging for cylindrical products, such as cans or bottles, to maximize storage space while staying within height restrictions.