Eukaryote Evolution: Symbiosis & Beyond

• Thread starter chalky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evolution
In summary, the conversation discusses a student's struggle with finding multiple theories on how eukaryotes evolved from prokaryotes for their biology assignment. One theory mentioned is symbiosis, but the student is looking for others. Some suggested articles to check out are focused on the idea that eukaryotes did not evolve from prokaryotes, but developed on their own.
chalky
hello
i'm new here and looking for some help with my assignment.
i am currently working on an assignment about how the eukaryote evolved from the prokaryote, currently i have come across only one theory which is symbiosis, i need to find several theories and was wondering if anyone here had heard of any others.
help would be greatly appreciated as biology is not my strong point!
thanks to anyone who can help

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the newer theory is that eukaryotes did not evolve from prokaryotes and started to develop on their and eventually formed symbiosis.

You may want to check the following articles
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/99/13/8742
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v441/n7091/full/441289a.html
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/312/5776/1011
http://scienceblogs.com/aetiology/2006/05/are_we_teaching_a_wrong_idea.php[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello and welcome! Eukaryote evolution is a fascinating topic and I'm happy to help with your assignment. Yes, symbiosis is one of the most widely accepted theories for the evolution of eukaryotes, specifically through endosymbiosis where one prokaryotic cell engulfs another and they form a symbiotic relationship. However, there are also other theories that have been proposed, such as autogenous evolution where eukaryotes evolved from within prokaryotic cells through internal membrane formation, and viral infection where viruses played a role in transferring genetic material between cells. Additionally, there is evidence for a combination of these theories and other factors such as horizontal gene transfer and environmental pressures. It's important to consider all of these theories and their supporting evidence in order to fully understand the complex process of eukaryote evolution. I hope this helps and good luck with your assignment!

1. What is a eukaryote?

A eukaryote is a type of organism that has a membrane-bound nucleus and other organelles. They are more complex than prokaryotes, which lack a nucleus and organelles.

2. What is symbiosis?

Symbiosis is a close and prolonged interaction between two different species, where at least one organism benefits. This can include mutualism, where both organisms benefit, or parasitism, where one organism benefits at the expense of the other.

3. How did symbiosis play a role in eukaryote evolution?

The endosymbiotic theory suggests that eukaryotic cells evolved from the symbiotic relationship between different prokaryotic cells. This theory suggests that mitochondria and chloroplasts, which are organelles found in eukaryotic cells, were once free-living bacteria that were engulfed by larger cells and formed a symbiotic relationship.

4. What is the evidence for endosymbiosis in eukaryote evolution?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the endosymbiotic theory. One is the similarity between the DNA of mitochondria and chloroplasts to that of bacteria. Another is the presence of double membranes around these organelles, which is similar to the structure of bacteria. Additionally, these organelles have their own ribosomes, which are similar to bacterial ribosomes.

5. Are there other factors besides symbiosis that influenced eukaryote evolution?

Yes, there are other factors that may have played a role in eukaryote evolution. These include genetic mutations, environmental pressures, and horizontal gene transfer. However, symbiosis is believed to have played a significant role in the development of eukaryotes and their complexity.