Tough trampoline problem help?

• Thread starter MrMath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trampoline
In summary, A person wants to bounce on a trampoline for 30 seconds without any effort, but also wants to maintain a safe speed. The trampoline must be designed to account for air resistance, energy retention, and deformation. To solve this problem, the conservation of energy and research on falling bodies such as skydivers should be considered. Additionally, a horizontal spring and gravitational forces can be used as starting points for finding the ideal trampoline design.
MrMath
Tough trampoline problem...help?!

Hi there...i've recently been set a problem in one of my modules and need some help as to how to solve it, it goes as follows...a person jumps from a height (x) onto a trampoline, the person desires to bounce for 30 seconds without any effort of their own, but also their speed to not get too frightening. Assuming air resistance is proportional to speed, what should the trampolines properties be? What should the height of the platform be? And why?

Could someone please help me with this? Much appreciated!
MrMath

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. the forum guidelines ask that you do some work, or even at least post some remarks about your source of confusion. The trampoline is a big spring. Should it be a perfect spring, that is when there is no internal friction, would depend to the extent air resistance takes away enuf energy during the cycles in thirty seconds such that the last cycles landing doesn't stretch tramp enuf to impart enuf force to overcome weight? It can be calculated, but you might want to first do some research on falling bodies such as skydivers. We would need at least one other piece of info to even make a go of this problem.

Competition trampolines have very little wind resistance, usually they are like nets ("ozzie" / Australia beds), or the older style 1/4" canvas beds (1/4 inch wide strips with about 5/8 inch spacing between). Still, some energy is consumed with each bounce.

Even with 80% energy retension, 30 seconds would be a relatively long time to continue bouncing. I would suspect that a person's feet would no longer leave the surface of the tramp in much less time, although vertical motion would remain for quite a while longer after this.

Sorry, previously i failed to mention that i have actually done some work and realize that conservation of energy is vital to the problem with PE, KE and Elastic E being the three main types, the energy is obviously lost to friction, wind resistance and deformation causing the person to not bounce to the same height each bounce. Given a height i can obviously work out the max speed the person reaches (just prior to point of contact with the trampoline) but from there if i guessed at a spring constant how would i go about modelling the trampoline? and how would i work out how far it would bounce the person back up?

well before getting too much into the trampoline itself, two problems maybe to consider would be a horizontal spring, which itself is fixed to the wall, and is struck by a block of mass M. Then you could add friction if desired as some fx of velocity, normally V^2 for air resistance. Then you could turn the problem over vertically to consider gravity. I'd do all this if you haven't already before thinking about the actual tramp.

1. What is the tough trampoline problem?

The tough trampoline problem is a mathematical puzzle that involves determining the number of unique ways a person can jump on a trampoline and land on the same spot twice, using a specific set of rules.

2. What are the rules of the tough trampoline problem?

The rules of the tough trampoline problem are as follows: 1) The trampoline has a total of 9 squares, arranged in a 3x3 grid. 2) The starting position is in the center square. 3) The only valid moves are to jump horizontally or vertically to an adjacent square. 4) The goal is to end up back on the center square after exactly 8 jumps.

3. What makes the tough trampoline problem challenging?

The tough trampoline problem is challenging because there are a large number of possible combinations for 8 jumps on a 3x3 grid. This makes it difficult to find all the possible solutions and determine the total number of unique ways to complete the puzzle.

4. Is there a solution to the tough trampoline problem?

Yes, there is a solution to the tough trampoline problem. Through mathematical analysis and computer simulations, it has been determined that there are exactly 256 unique ways to complete the puzzle.

5. How can the tough trampoline problem be applied to real-world situations?

While the tough trampoline problem may seem like a purely mathematical puzzle, it can also be applied to real-world situations. For example, it can be used to study the motion of particles in a confined space or to analyze patterns in data sets. It can also be a fun way to improve problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.