Sylow Theorem Part 2: Find Order of Subgroup PQ

• Thread starter catcherintherye
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the proof involves showing that P, a maximal p-subgroup, must be contained in N_G(Q) for some other maximal p-subgroup Q, and then using the first isomorphism theorem to show that |P| must divide both sides of np=1 (mod p), implying that |P| is exactly np, ie, P is the unique fixed point of P acting on S by conjugation.
catcherintherye
okay so I'm going through the proof of sylow part 2, i.e. the bit that says if
[tex] N_p is the number of subgroups of G of order p^n then N_p \equiv1modp
[/tex]

now I have got to the part where I have taken the subgroup P of order P^n that you get from sylow part 1 and I have to show that it is a unique fixed point W.r.t conjugation of P on S={Q: Q subgroup of G: |Q|=p^n}...anyway for those of you who know the proof, I am trying to find the order of the subgroup PQ, where Q is the supposed subgroup used in the contradiction argument...

so anyway |PQ| is what I am trying to deduce, I have noethers 1st isomorphism theorem

[tex] PQ/Q isomorphic to P/P \capQ Q [/tex]

|P|=p^n...

the next line asserts [tex] |P\cap Q| =p^e for som e e\leq n [/tex]

how is this so is P intersection Q a subgroup of P??:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
You really should explain what you're trying to do more clearly since we haven't all seen the particular proof you're going from. I think I've worked out what you're doing, and even though you probably know all this, I'll go over it again in case I'm wrong, or if someone else wants to follow along.

We have |S|=np, and if we let P act on S by conjugation, we get a partition of S into distinct orbits. One of these will contain P by itself, since conjugation of P by any element in P gives back P.

For any other orbit O, say, let Q be a representative from O. Then we have [itex]|O|=[P:N_G(Q) \cap P ][/itex] (do you see why?), and since |P| is a power of p, |O| must be as well.

If |O|=1, this would mean P is contained in [itex]N_G(Q)[/itex]. Then the first isomorphism theorem says:

[tex] PQ/Q \cong P/P \cap Q [/tex]

or, taking the orders, using the fact that |G/H|=|G|/|H| for finite groups, and rearranging, we get:

[tex] |PQ| = \frac{|P||Q|}{|P \cap Q|} [/tex]

(note this is also true from a more basic argument even when PQ isn't a subgroup).

Since all groups on the RHS have order a power of p (since, yes, [itex]P \cap Q[/itex] is a subgroup of P, which I hope isn't your whole question, because it's the easiest part of this proof), so does PQ. But by assumption, P (as well as Q) is a maximal p-subgroup, so we must have PQ=P, ie, P=Q.

To finish up, since np is the sum of the sizes of the different orbits, and since exactly one of these is 1, with all the others are divisible by p (since they are powers of p greater than 1), we see np=1 (mod p).

Last edited:

Yes, P ∩ Q is a subgroup of P. To see this, note that since both P and Q are subgroups of G, they must contain the identity element e. Therefore, e ∈ P ∩ Q, and since P and Q are closed under multiplication, P ∩ Q is also closed under multiplication. Additionally, for any element x ∈ P ∩ Q, we have x ∈ P and x ∈ Q, so x⁻¹ ∈ P and x⁻¹ ∈ Q, and therefore x⁻¹ ∈ P ∩ Q. Thus, P ∩ Q is a subgroup of P.

Now, to find the order of PQ, we can use the fact that |PQ| = |P||Q|/|P ∩ Q| by Lagrange's theorem. Substituting in the values we know, we get |PQ| = p^n * p^n/p^e = p^(2n-e).

To show that P is a unique fixed point with respect to conjugation, we can use the fact that P is a normal subgroup of PQ, since it is the intersection of two normal subgroups P and Q. Therefore, for any element g ∈ G, we have g(PQ)g⁻¹ = (gPg⁻¹)(gQg⁻¹) = PQ, since both P and Q are fixed under conjugation by g. This means that P is a fixed point for conjugation by any element g ∈ G, and therefore it is a unique fixed point.

1. What is the Sylow Theorem Part 2?

The Sylow Theorem Part 2 is a mathematical theorem that helps to find the order of a subgroup in a finite group. It is an extension of the Sylow Theorem Part 1, which states that every finite group has a subgroup of prime power order.

2. How does the Sylow Theorem Part 2 work?

The Sylow Theorem Part 2 uses a counting argument to determine the number of subgroups of a specific order in a finite group. It states that the number of subgroups of a given order is congruent to 1 mod p, where p is a prime factor of the group's order.

3. What is the significance of finding the order of a subgroup in a group?

Finding the order of a subgroup in a group can provide important information about the structure and properties of the group. It can also help in solving problems related to group theory and is a useful tool in many areas of mathematics, such as number theory and abstract algebra.

4. How can the Sylow Theorem Part 2 be applied in real-world situations?

The Sylow Theorem Part 2 has applications in various fields, such as cryptography, coding theory, and physics. It can be used to analyze and understand the structures and symmetries of molecules in chemistry, and in computer science, it can be used to design error-correcting codes.

5. Are there any limitations to the Sylow Theorem Part 2?

The Sylow Theorem Part 2 has certain limitations, such as only being applicable to finite groups. It also does not provide a method for finding the actual subgroups, but rather only the number of subgroups of a given order. Additionally, it may not be useful for solving certain types of problems, such as those involving non-abelian groups.