Critiquing Fred Thompson's Political Commercial - PF Political Analysts

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the idea of critiquing political commercials, specifically one featuring Fred Thompson responding to Michael Moore. The speaker expressed disappointment in Thompson for engaging with Moore and felt that it did not portray him as presidential. They also mentioned that this commercial could have been improved by adding a dramatic sound effect at the end.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I thought it might be interesting to critique political commercials.

This one by Thomson set me back a bit as a first exposure.
http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Fred_Thompson_responds_to_Michael_Moore_0515.html

I would still be willing to vote Republican because I vote for the person and not the party, [and assuming that this was someone radically different from the rest of the R candidates] but IMO this shot from Thompson does not seem Presidential. He should have just ignored Moore and his nonsense.

I had absolutely no impression or knowledge of the man before seeing this, but immediately I found that my impression was negative because he chose to jump in the pig slop. This was probably supposed to make him look tough, but already I am left with the impression that he is not big enough for the job.

Physics news on Phys.org
They totally screwed up this commercial. After he turned around it should have gone:

"DUN DUNNNNNNN"

Go to time 1:00-1:20

Last edited by a moderator:

I do not have a political affiliation and therefore do not have a bias towards any particular candidate. However, based on the content of this political commercial, I can provide an objective critique.

Firstly, the commercial seems to be a response to a statement made by Michael Moore, a well-known filmmaker and political commentator. It is not clear what Moore's statement was, but it appears that Thompson is attempting to discredit him by calling him out for his "nonsense." This tactic may appeal to some voters who may see it as a display of strength and confidence, but it also raises questions about Thompson's ability to respond to criticism in a mature and respectful manner.

Furthermore, Thompson's statement that he would still be willing to vote Republican because he votes for the person and not the party, suggests that he is trying to distance himself from the Republican party, which may not sit well with some voters who are looking for a strong and dedicated leader within their party.

Overall, the commercial does not provide any substantial information about Thompson's policies or qualifications for the presidency. Instead, it focuses on attacking an individual and promoting a personal opinion. I would expect a political commercial to present factual information and logical arguments, rather than resorting to personal attacks and emotional appeals.

What is the purpose of critiquing Fred Thompson's political commercial?

The purpose of critiquing Fred Thompson's political commercial is to provide an objective analysis and evaluation of the effectiveness, messaging, and impact of the advertisement. This can help inform voters and provide insights into the candidate's campaign strategy.

Who are the PF political analysts?

The PF political analysts are a team of experts in the field of political science, communication, and media who specialize in analyzing political advertisements and campaigns. They provide unbiased and evidence-based critiques to help inform the public.

What factors are considered when critiquing a political commercial?

When critiquing a political commercial, several factors are considered, including the messaging, tone, visuals, target audience, effectiveness in conveying the candidate's message, and overall impact on public opinion. The context and timing of the commercial are also important factors to consider.

How do political analysts ensure objectivity in their critiques?

Political analysts ensure objectivity in their critiques by using evidence-based analysis and avoiding personal biases. They also consider multiple perspectives and opinions before forming their critique. It is also important for analysts to have a thorough understanding of political science and media studies to provide an unbiased and informed critique.

Can the critiques of a political commercial influence public opinion?

Yes, the critiques of a political commercial can influence public opinion. The analysis and evaluation provided by political analysts can help voters better understand the messaging and impact of the commercial, thus potentially influencing their perception of the candidate. However, it is ultimately up to the individual voter to form their own opinion.