A motorcycle ride through Chernobyl

In summary, the conversation discusses a website where a person documents their motorcycle ride through a disaster area in Russia. The person describes the peacefulness of the area, as well as the presence of brain-eating mutants. They also mention visiting a tavern and cafe, and finding it humorous that their biggest concern is the chemical shower damaging their bike. The conversation also mentions the presence of English on some signs in the area, and the eerie feeling of abandoned buildings.
Physics news on Phys.org
"It is so peaceful out here. I can ride for hours and not see another soul. Not have to worry about hitting a dog or getting bugs in my teeth. True, there are the brain eating mutants, but they don't seem interested in me. After my ride I like to have drinks at the Jim Jones Tavern and then lunch at the "Mushroom/Toadstool What's the difference? Cafe"
Funniest thing about all this is the fact that her biggest worry about being found contaminated is that the chemical shower she is given "eats her bike."
Second funniest thing is that while riding through the Earth's most contaminated stretch of land she wears a helmet. For safety reasons?

It's funny to see the classic American octagonal red STOP sign there in Russia! Some of the other signs had English on them too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember reading that girl's site a while ago. It really brought a fine point to just how much devastation there is in that area.

I thought the pictures in the buildings were really eerie. People just up and left (don't blame them) and everything is as it was.

What are the potential dangers of a motorcycle ride through Chernobyl?

The main danger of a motorcycle ride through Chernobyl is exposure to radiation. The area is still highly contaminated, and even short-term exposure can lead to increased risk of cancer and other health issues. Additionally, the roads and buildings in the area may be unstable and pose a risk of injury.

Is it safe to ride a motorcycle through Chernobyl?

No, it is not safe to ride a motorcycle through Chernobyl. The area is still highly contaminated with radioactive material, and the Ukrainian government restricts access to the exclusion zone. It is illegal for tourists to enter the area without proper permits and protection.

What should I do if I encounter a hazardous area while riding through Chernobyl?

If you encounter a hazardous area while riding through Chernobyl, it is important to follow safety protocols. Do not touch or enter any contaminated areas, and avoid consuming any food or water from the area. If you start to feel ill during your ride, seek medical attention immediately.

Are there any precautions I should take before embarking on a motorcycle ride through Chernobyl?

Yes, there are several precautions you should take before riding through Chernobyl. Make sure to obtain the necessary permits and follow all safety regulations set by the Ukrainian government. It is also important to wear protective gear, such as a hazmat suit and respirator, to minimize exposure to radiation.

Can I take photos during my motorcycle ride through Chernobyl?

Yes, photography is allowed in certain areas of the exclusion zone. However, it is important to follow the rules and regulations set by the Ukrainian government and avoid taking photos in hazardous or restricted areas. It is also important to properly clean and dispose of any equipment used during the ride to avoid spreading contamination.