Electric Field in Thunderstorm

In summary, the conversation discusses a theoretical model of a thunderstorm cloud with three localized charges at different altitudes. The task is to determine the electric field strength at a specific horizontal coordinate and altitude. The steps involve using the equation E = kq/r^2 and considering the contributions of each charge using superposition. The point charge is positive and the steps also involve considering the direction of each Efield.
Ryo124
A theoretical model of a thunderstorm cloud has a localized positive charge P = 40.0 C at 10 km altitude, a localized negative charge N = -40.0 C at 5 km altitude, and a localized positive charge p = 5.0 C at 2 km altitude.

The three charges are assumed to have equal horizontal coordinates. Determine the electric field strength at the same horizontal coordinates and height 6.8 km.

I know that I am supposed to calculate the individual forces but I really need someone to "walk" me through this problem step-by-step please.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't walk you through because that will give you the answer, but I will give you the steps. You should use the eqn E = kq/r^2

1) You want the E field at 6.8km, so put your origin there
2) What the Efield contribution from the 10km charge? How will you find the distance between from the origin at 6.8km (or 0 in your new system) and the one at 10km (or what in your new system)? Don't think too hard, it's merely those translation guys that you cover in high school. What direction is it in?
3) From the 5km charge? Direction?
4) How about the 2km one?
5) What does superposition say you can do?
6) Did you get the answer? Does it make sense?

Having trouble with the directions of the E-fields. Is the hypothetical "point charge" a positive or negative value?

So, you calculate the separate Efields acting on 6.8km and add directions? I just am having trouble with the directions.

The point charge is positive. So the 10km should give you a direction down, or -j if you use vector notation. What do you have for that one?

Got it. Thanks.

1. What causes electric fields in thunderstorms?

Electric fields in thunderstorms are caused by the separation of positive and negative charges within the storm clouds. This separation occurs due to the movement of water droplets and ice particles within the cloud, creating a charge imbalance.

2. How do electric fields affect thunderstorms?

Electric fields play a crucial role in the formation and intensity of thunderstorms. They can influence the movement and shape of the storm, as well as the strength and frequency of lightning strikes. Electric fields also play a role in the formation of hail and other severe weather phenomena.

3. Can electric fields in thunderstorms be measured?

Yes, electric fields in thunderstorms can be measured using instruments such as lightning detection networks, electric field mills, and radar systems. These measurements can provide valuable information about the strength and structure of the storm and help with weather forecasting.

4. Are electric fields dangerous in thunderstorms?

While electric fields in thunderstorms are powerful and can cause dangerous lightning strikes, they are not inherently dangerous to humans. The danger comes from being struck by lightning, which is attracted to the strongest electric fields. It is important to take precautions and seek shelter during thunderstorms to avoid potential harm from lightning strikes.

5. Can electric fields in thunderstorms be harnessed as a source of energy?

Yes, there is ongoing research and development to harness the electric fields in thunderstorms as a source of renewable energy. This is done through the use of specialized equipment, such as lightning rods and conductive wires, to capture the electrical energy produced by lightning strikes. However, this technology is still in its early stages and has not yet been widely implemented.