Lagrangian for a charged particle in a magnetic field

In summary, the Lagrangian for a system with a magnetic potential can be derived using the Lagrangian principle, which involves using generalized coordinates and velocities. The resulting equation of motion for the x-component of the system is equivalent to the Lorentz force, providing justification for the potential term in the Lagrangian. The process of taking the derivative with respect to time and using total derivatives may lead to a more accurate derivation.
mmcf
Hey I have a question that was almost completely answered in this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=116098

Specifically someone interpreted his question to be how exactly do you get that
the term in the Lagrangian corresponding to the magnetic potential is

[tex]-q\vec{v}\cdot\vec{A}[/tex]

da_willem said:
The only proofs I have seen rely on the Lagrangian principle. E.g.

The Lagrangian

[tex]L=T-V=\frac{1}{2}mu^2 + q\vec{u} \cdot \vec{A} [/tex]

Subsituted in the Euler Lagrange equations

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial x}[/tex]

Using generalised coordinates x, y, z with generalized velocities [tex]\dot{x}, \dot{y}, \dot{z}[/tex] and [tex]u^2=\dot{x}^2+\dot{y}^2+\dot{z}^2[/tex]

yields

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}(m\dot{x}+qA_x)=q\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\dot{x}A_x+\dot{y}A_y+\dot{z}A_z)[/tex]
[tex]m \ddot{x}+q \frac{\partial A_x}{\partial t} =q(\dot{x}\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial x}+\dot{y}\frac{\partial A_y}{\partial x}+\dot{z}\frac{\partial A_z}{\partial x})[/tex]

or after rearranging

[tex]m \ddot{x}=-q(\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial t})+q[\dot{y}(\frac{\partial A_y}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial y})+\dot{z}(\frac{\partial A_z}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial z})]=qE_x+q(\dot{y}B_z-\dot{z}B_y)[/tex]

Which is exactly the x-component of the usual Lorentz force. So the potential term [tex]V=-q\vec{u} \cdot \vec{A} [/tex] can be motivated by the fact that it yields the right equation of motion.

Sadly, I had already worked up to the second to last line prior to his post, and I'm not clear
on what happened at that point. I would assume he added in [tex]\partial \phi/\partial x[/tex] because the electric potential is zero and that expression will look more like the typical [tex]E_x[/tex] that you see. The part that loses me though is how did he turn the term

[tex]\dot{x}\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial x}+\dot{y}\frac{\partial A_y}{\partial x}+\dot{z}\frac{\partial A_z}{\partial x}[/tex] into [tex]\dot{y}(\frac{\partial A_y}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial y})+\dot{z}(\frac{\partial A_z}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial z})[/tex]

Just from the looks of things it might be that:
[tex]\dot{x}\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial x} + \dot{y}\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial y} + \dot{z}\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial z} = 0[/tex]

I don't really see why that should be true, so is there another way he could have done that, or what is the reasoning behind that equation? Also, sorry in advance. I did take a look at Jackson but he jumps into some relativistic stuff that I'm not ready for right now and we don't have a copy of Franklin in our library.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's explained in the book: "The Classical Theory of Fields" by Landau and Lifschitz.

[tex]
m\frac{d{\vec v}}{dt}=
q[-\nabla\phi-\partial_t{\vec A}+{\vec v}\times(\nabla\times{\vec A})]
= q[-\nabla\phi-\partial_t{\vec A}-({\vec v}\dot\nabla){\vec A}
+\nabla({\vec v}\cdot{\vec A})]
=\nabla[-q\phi+q{\vec v}\cdot{\vec A}]-q\frac{d{\vec A}}{dt}.
[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Count Iblis said:
It's explained in the book: "The Classical Theory of Fields" by Landau and Lifschitz.

Alright thanks. It looks like my problem happened here:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}(m\dot{x}+qA_x)=q\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\dot{x}A_x+\dot{y}A_y+\dot{z}A_z)[/tex]

when I assumed that you could take that derivative of [tex]A_x[/tex] with respect to time partially. If I had taken a total derivative I'd have seen instead:

[tex]m\ddot{x}+q\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial t} + q(\dot{x}\partial_x A_x + \dot{y}\partial_y A_x + \dot{z} \partial_z A_x) =q(\dot{x}\partial_x A_x +\dot{y}\partial_x A_y+\dot{z}\partial_z A_z)[/tex]

and that gives me what I was hoping for:

[tex]m \ddot{x}=-q\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial t}+q[\dot{y}(\frac{\partial A_y}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial y})+\dot{z}(\frac{\partial A_z}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial z})]=qE_x+q(\dot{y}B_z-\dot{z}B_y)[/tex]

1. What is the Lagrangian for a charged particle in a magnetic field?

The Lagrangian for a charged particle in a magnetic field is a mathematical function that describes the energy and motion of a charged particle in a magnetic field. It takes into account the kinetic energy and potential energy of the particle as well as the effects of the magnetic field.

2. How is the Lagrangian for a charged particle in a magnetic field derived?

The Lagrangian for a charged particle in a magnetic field is derived using the principles of Lagrangian mechanics. This involves setting up the equations of motion for the particle and then solving for the Lagrangian function that satisfies those equations.

3. What are the key components of the Lagrangian for a charged particle in a magnetic field?

The key components of the Lagrangian for a charged particle in a magnetic field are the kinetic energy of the particle, the potential energy of the particle, and the magnetic potential energy. These components are combined in a specific way to describe the motion of the particle in the magnetic field.

4. How does the Lagrangian for a charged particle in a magnetic field differ from the Lagrangian for a charged particle in an electric field?

The Lagrangian for a charged particle in a magnetic field is similar to the Lagrangian for a charged particle in an electric field in that they both take into account the kinetic and potential energies of the particle. However, the magnetic field introduces additional terms, such as the magnetic potential energy, which make the Lagrangian more complex.

5. What is the significance of the Lagrangian for a charged particle in a magnetic field?

The Lagrangian for a charged particle in a magnetic field is significant because it allows us to accurately describe and predict the motion of charged particles in a magnetic field. It is a fundamental concept in the field of electromagnetism and is used in various applications, such as particle accelerators and magnetic confinement fusion research.