Intel Interview - Process Engineering Position

In summary, the interviewee is nervous about the interview and is looking for advice on what to study for the technical interview. He has taken a course on fundamentals of solid state devices and is familiar with ultra high vacuum systems. He is also familiar with MBE, CVD, and other fabrication processes.
dorkwitch
Hi,

I have an onsite interview with Intel for a process engineering position. I believe this position is mainly for college graduates. I am graduating with a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering in May 2008. I am quite nervous about the interview and want to be as prepared as I can be, especially for the technical interview.

Since it is for a process engineering position, am assuming the emphasis is going to be on Solid State. But I have not taken a class on fabrication as such. So, I don't know what I should study for the interview.

Right now, I am studying my microelectronics circuits book by Sedra/Smith and plan on skimmng through Fundamentals of Solid State Devices book also.

Do you have any suggestions, and some advice on do's and dont's?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be worth seeing if you could track down a copy of Jaeger's Introduction to Microelectronic Fabrication and at least skim through it before your interview. It's a nice, short book, so you should be able to pick up a lot of information from it very quickly. For a more standard textbook, look for Campbell's The Science and Engineering of Microelectronic Fabrication.

Thank you

Thank you so much, I will try to get hold of those books right away.

have you at least taken a course on solid state devices?

Obviously, since they are giving you an interview, they believe you are a good match for the position. Just go in there and be confident.

leright said:
have you at least taken a course on solid state devices?

Obviously, since they are giving you an interview, they believe you are a good match for the position. Just go in there and be confident.

Yeah I have taken the course on fundamentals of solid state devices. It is just a lot of stuff to know and difficult to recall without a reference of some sort. So, I just wish they gave me an idea about the technical part so that I can concentrate on a particular concept that they feel is important to know.

dorkwitch said:
Yeah I have taken the course on fundamentals of solid state devices. It is just a lot of stuff to know and difficult to recall without a reference of some sort. So, I just wish they gave me an idea about the technical part so that I can concentrate on a particular concept that they feel is important to know.

Do you have any experience with ultra high vacuum systems? I know a couple of people that went to work at Intel for a process engineer position and they do a lot of work with UHV systems.

UHV systems are not used during fabrication, there is no need. It is true that many steps involve vacuum systems but as far as I know only "normal" vacuum equipment is used since the pressures are relatively hight( >10e-9 mBar) ; i.e. turbo pumps etc meaning most of the equipment is more or less "plug'n'play".
It still takes a while to learn how to use the equipment, but it not very difficult and besides most of the knowledge is very practical; not something you can be expected to pick up in a class.

How much do you know aboub thin film deposition, ion implantation etc?
If you want to read up on a particular topic this is what I suggest you focus on, "process engineering" will undoubtetly involve working with deposition systems so knowing something about PVD,CVD etc before the interview might be a good idea.

f95toli said:
How much do you know aboub thin film deposition, ion implantation etc?
If you want to read up on a particular topic this is what I suggest you focus on, "process engineering" will undoubtetly involve working with deposition systems so knowing something about PVD,CVD etc before the interview might be a good idea.

Aren't MBE, CVD, etc typically done in UHV? I know of a guy that went over there and is working eith MBE systems.

Let us know how it went!

MBE is typically UHV, but CVD doesn't have to be, and isn't usually. In fact, the CVD work I did was done sometimes as high as 60torr, which some people would argue is hardly a vacuum at all!

Locrian said:
MBE is typically UHV, but CVD doesn't have to be, and isn't usually. In fact, the CVD work I did was done sometimes as high as 60torr, which some people would argue is hardly a vacuum at all!

Ah, well the guys I know that took process engineer positions worked with MBE systems, and I know UHV skills are important there. But you're right, they wouldn't expect you to learn that stuff in school, and this stuff can be picked up on the job.

I have some knowledge about the fabrication process from taking a quick course while I was interning at Micron Technology, but that is about it. I have picked the textbook suggested earlier in this thread and I plan on reading it for the interview. I just don't know the depth required for the tech questions.

Also, how much of circuit theory would they expect me to know?

Thanks everyone for sharing the information.

1. What is the role of a process engineer at Intel?

A process engineer at Intel is responsible for designing, implementing, and improving the manufacturing processes for computer chips. This includes identifying and solving any issues that arise in the production process, as well as developing new methods to increase efficiency and productivity.

2. What skills and qualifications are required for a process engineering position at Intel?

To be successful in a process engineering position at Intel, one should have a strong background in engineering, particularly in areas such as chemical, electrical, or mechanical engineering. In addition, experience with process optimization, data analysis, and project management are highly valued. A bachelor's or master's degree in engineering is typically required.

3. What is the work environment like for a process engineer at Intel?

The work environment at Intel is fast-paced, dynamic, and collaborative. Process engineers work closely with other engineers and technicians to troubleshoot and improve the production process. They may also work with other departments such as research and development, quality control, and supply chain management.

4. What are the biggest challenges faced by process engineers at Intel?

One of the biggest challenges for process engineers at Intel is keeping up with the constantly evolving technology and industry standards. They must also be able to adapt to changing production demands and find ways to improve efficiency and reduce costs while maintaining high quality standards.

5. What opportunities for growth and advancement are available for process engineers at Intel?

Intel values career development and offers many opportunities for growth and advancement for process engineers. This may include taking on leadership roles, working on cross-functional teams, and participating in training and development programs. Additionally, Intel encourages employees to pursue advanced degrees and certifications to further their skills and knowledge.