Proving Non-Equivalence of e^(-1/x^2) and Maclaurin Series Graph Near Origin

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the function f(x)= e^-1/x^2 is not equal to its Maclauren series. The participants suggest finding the derivatives at x=0 and constructing the series, and also discuss the behavior of the function near the origin. It is then pointed out that the Maclauren series will converge everywhere, but not necessarily to the value of the function.
fk378

Homework Statement

Show that the function defined by

(stepwise)
f(x)= e^(-1/x^2) if x =/ 0
= 0 if x=0

is NOT equal to its Maclauren series.

Then graph the function and comment on its behavior near the origin.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I honestly don't know how to prove this. I graphed it and noticed that as it approaches the origin, it concaves up, so f''(x)>0 at (0,0). Am I supposed to first u-substitute in order to differentiate the e^(-1/x^2)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show that the function is what?

The function may 'concave up' as x->0, but if you look carefully at the limit of f''(x) as x->0 you may find f''(0) is not positive. You should note f(x)=x^4 also 'concaves up' and f''(0)=0 for that function. And as morphism asks, you must have a more specific idea of what you are supposed to comment on.

As morphism pointed out, you didn't say what it is you want to prove! Because you title this "MacLaurin series", I assume you want to prove that the MacLaurin series of this function is a certain thing. I would think it would be obvious "how to prove" this: find the derivatives at x= 0 and construct the MacLaurin series. It shouldn't take more than a few derivatives to see what is happening.

I'll start you off. If
[tex]f(x)= e^{-\frac{1}{x^2}}[/tex]
then, using the chain rule,
[tex]\frac{df}{dx}= e^{-\frac{1}{x^2}}(-2x^{-3})= -\frac{e^{-\frac{1}{x^2}}}{2x^3}[/itex]
as long as x is not 0. To find the derivative at 0, take the limit as x goes to 0. As x goes to 0, the argument of the exponential goes to negative infinity so the exponential goes to 0. Both numerator and denominator of this derivative, separately, go to 0. Remembering that an exponential will go to 0 (or infinity) faster than any polynomial, only the numerator is relevant and the limit is 0. Hint: every derivative will be [itex]e^{-\frac{1}{x^2}}[/itex] over some polynomial.

This is an example showing that a function may have a MacLaurin (Or Taylor) series that converges everywhere but not to the value of the function!

Sorry! I just edited in the rest of the question. It asks to show that the function does not equal the Maclauren series, but why wouldn't it?

fk378 said:
Sorry! I just edited in the rest of the question. It asks to show that the function does not equal the Maclauren series, but why wouldn't it?

Figure out what the Maclauren series of the function is, and it will be pretty easy to figure out why it's not equal to the function. I promise.

1. What is a Maclaurin series graph?

A Maclaurin series graph is a type of graph that represents a function as an infinite summation of terms. It is named after Scottish mathematician Colin Maclaurin, who developed the concept in the 18th century.

2. How is a Maclaurin series graph different from a Taylor series graph?

A Maclaurin series graph is a special case of a Taylor series graph, where the center of the series is at x = 0. This means that all of the derivatives of the function at x = 0 are used to calculate the terms of the series.

3. What is the purpose of using a Maclaurin series graph?

A Maclaurin series graph can be used to approximate a function, especially when the function is difficult to evaluate directly. It can also be used to find the values of derivatives of the function at a specific point.

4. How is the accuracy of a Maclaurin series graph determined?

The accuracy of a Maclaurin series graph depends on the number of terms used in the series. The more terms that are included, the more accurate the approximation will be.

5. Can a Maclaurin series graph be used for any type of function?

No, a Maclaurin series graph can only be used for functions that are infinitely differentiable at x = 0. This means that the function must have derivatives of all orders at this point.