Involves magnetic force and point charges with constant velocity.

In summary, a point charge with a velocity of 1 x 10^6 meters per second and a charge of 1.6 x 10^-10 C is moving at the origin (0,0) in a magnetic field of 1 T. The force can be calculated using F = ma. The exact location where it hits the X intercept can be found by using the formula r = mv/qb and multiplying by two. The time it takes to hit the X intercept can be calculated by finding the acceleration using F = ma and then plugging it into the equation d = vt + 1/2 at^2. However, it is important to note that constant velocity and constant speed are not the same and the
AlexAnonymous
A point charge is moving at 1 x 10^6 meters per second. At the origin (0,0), a magnetic field of 1 T is applied into the page. The charge = 1.6 x 10^/10 C.

1) Calculate the force.
2) Calculate the exact location it hits the X intercept.
3) Calculate the time is takes to hit the X intercept (starting from the origin).

I can answer the first two questions. For the third, I calculated circumference and divided it by 2 to find the total distance traveled.

My question is, if a magnetic force was created, was acceleration created as well?

When I calculated the time, i first found the acceleration by using F = ma

Once I found the acceleration, I plugged it into d = vt + 1/2 at2 to find the time.

Should I have disregarded the centripital acceleration and just used d = vt?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF,

Firstly it is important to realize that constant velocity is not the same as constant speed. In this case, the particle in traveling with constant speed (circular motion), but it's direction is constantly changing and is therefore accelerating, hence the velocity is not constant.

What is the particle's initial position?

Thanks so much for the reply. The initial position is (0,0). The question was worded "charge is moving initially at 1 x 10^6 m/s" I'm sorry I'm a little vague but this was a test question and I obviously don't have it in front of me.

BTW, in order to calculate where it hit the x-axis, I used the formula r(radius) = mv/qb and multiplied by two.

1. What is the relationship between magnetic force and point charges with constant velocity?

The magnetic force acting on a point charge with constant velocity is perpendicular to both the velocity vector and the magnetic field vector. This relationship is described by the right-hand rule, where the direction of the force is determined by the direction of the velocity and the direction of the magnetic field.

2. How does the magnitude of the magnetic force change with the charge and velocity of the particle?

The magnitude of the magnetic force on a point charge with constant velocity is directly proportional to the charge of the particle, the magnitude of its velocity, and the strength of the magnetic field. This means that as any of these variables increase, the magnetic force will also increase.

3. Can magnetic force affect the path of a charged particle with constant velocity?

Yes, magnetic force can affect the path of a charged particle with constant velocity. This is because the magnetic force acts as a centripetal force, causing the particle to move in a circular path around the magnetic field lines.

4. What is the difference between magnetic force and electric force?

While both magnetic force and electric force act on charged particles, they have different characteristics. The main difference is that electric force is dependent on the charge of the particle, while magnetic force is dependent on both the charge and the velocity of the particle. Additionally, electric force is always attractive or repulsive, while magnetic force can only change the direction of the particle's motion.

5. Can magnetic force be used to accelerate particles?

Yes, magnetic force can be used to accelerate particles in a circular motion. This is the principle behind particle accelerators, where charged particles are accelerated to high speeds using strong magnetic fields. However, magnetic force alone cannot increase the speed of a particle in a straight line, as it only acts perpendicular to the velocity vector.