Newie relativity question: proper time vs. arc length?

In summary: It seems kinda odd now that I initially thought that proper time was just a parameterization of the curve.In summary, a proper interval is defined as the integral of the time and space derivatives with respect to a specific parameterization, and is known as the proper time. This is analogous to arc length being a natural parameterization of a curve. The concept of proper time is a foundation of relativity and has been used for over 100 years. It can be demonstrated through various phenomena, such as the twin paradox and muon decay rates. The arc length along a path is a measure of elapsed time, but is scaled by the velocity involved, showing that it is a more fundamental concept than local measurements of time or length.
Peeter
Doran/Lasenby define a proper interval as:

[tex]
\delta \tau = \int \sqrt{\frac{dx}{d\lambda} \cdot \frac{dx}{d\lambda}} d\lambda
[/tex]

(c=1, x= (t,x1,x2,x3) is a spacetime event, and the dot product has a +,-,-,- signature)

and say that this is called the proper time.

I can see that this would be preferred as a parameterization in the same way that arc length is a natural parameterization of a curve (takes out zeros in the derivatives if one ``stalls'' for a while along the curve with respect to some specific parameterization).

However, calling this "time" seems slightly perverse to me since it looks to me (from an math point of view) as not much more than arc length with respect to this particular dot product.

Except for a particle is at rest, I can't imagine why one would want to call this parameterization time (unless its just because spacetime-arc-length is a mouthful). Can anybody else account for why this may be a reasonable choice of nomenclature?

Physics news on Phys.org
If a clock moves along some arbitrary (timelike) path in spacetime then the elapsed time will be equal to this arc-length. In other words, another way to look at the twin paradox is that the traveling twin shows less time on his clock simply because his spacetime-arc-length is shorter than the home twin.

Yes it is perverse but as DaleSpam pointed out, it is in fact a true statement and a foundation of relativity. You can build your path out of many short, straight segments, and use the idea of Lorentz transformations to convince yourself that the voyager's time ellapsed along each segment is given by [tex]\frac{1}{\gamma} dt = \frac{d\tau}{dt} dt = d\tau[/tex], so essentially integrating along that curve is equivalent to summing up all those little straight segments.

Proper-time is about 100 years old this year... due to the mathematician Minkowski.

Many results in Special Relativity can be interpreted geometrically, with a different metric (aka dot product)...with analogous geometrical constructions. The underlying reason for this is that the geometry of Euclidean space and that of Minkowski space are examples of Cayley-Klein geometries.

Thanks for the explanations guys. I guess it's not perverse if the elapsed time along that tragectory equals the arc length. I'll have to do some calculations with this to get the feeling for how it fits together.

Now, the twin paradox wasn't something I planned to think about anytime in the near future, but perhaps it's unavoidable. My primary goal for looking at relativity is to understand how it's related to Electromagntism so integrally. E&M is a subject I can relate to (I can watch TV, look with my eyes, use a radio, cell phone, ...), but the twin paradox isn't something that I can compare to something that I actually observe or know.

Is there a good example short of getting a really fast spaceship that physically demonstrates clocks going out of sync after taking different spacetime paths from a fixed point to some other later time common fixed point in space. Perhaps some sort of particle collider observable or an E&M phenomena that I "know about" but don't realize how it actually demonstrates this?

Peeter said:
Is there a good example short of getting a really fast spaceship that physically demonstrates clocks going out of sync after taking different spacetime paths from a fixed point to some other later time common fixed point in space.

Consider the light-clock.
Here is a fancy visualization I made:
http://physics.syr.edu/courses/modules/LIGHTCONE/LightClock/

Last edited by a moderator:
Peeter said:
Is there a good example short of getting a really fast spaceship that physically demonstrates clocks going out of sync after taking different spacetime paths from a fixed point to some other later time common fixed point in space. Perhaps some sort of particle collider observable or an E&M phenomena that I "know about" but don't realize how it actually demonstrates this?
Yes. Look at the http://www.edu-observatory.org/physics-faq/Relativity/SR/experiments.html#Twin_paradox"section in the FAQ. Muons in a storage ring at relativistic speeds have a longer half-life than muons at rest in the lab frame, as measured in the lab frame. Their spacetime-arc-length is shorter than their resting "twin's".

Last edited by a moderator:
lbrits said:
You can build your path out of many short, straight segments, and use the idea of Lorentz transformations to convince yourself that the voyager's time ellapsed along each segment is given by [tex]\frac{1}{\gamma} dt = \frac{d\tau}{dt} dt = d\tau[/tex], so essentially integrating along that curve is equivalent to summing up all those little straight segments.

I tried a simple version of this calculation using just the dot product, using a linear velocity scenerio (I've put the c's back in ... more confusing with c=1 for me at least now):

[tex]
x = x^0 \gamma_0 + x^1 \gamma_1
[/tex]

where:

[tex]
x^1(t) = vt + x^1(0)
[/tex]

[tex]
x^0(t) = ct
[/tex]

So,

[tex]
\frac{dx}{dt} = (c,v)
[/tex]

So,
[tex]
\frac{dx}{dt} \cdot \frac{dx}{dt} = c^2 - v^2
[/tex]

Thus

[tex]
d\tau = c \sqrt{1 - (v/c)^2} dt
[/tex]

Or,

[tex]
d\tau = c \frac{1}{\gamma} dt
[/tex]

So, sure enough this arc length is a measure of elapsed time, but one that is scaled by the velocity involved.

It appears that it's normal in relativity texts to think of this the other way around... ie: the traveller's time is scaled locally relative to this arc length (``proper time'').

Peeter said:
It appears that it's normal in relativity texts to think of this the other way around... ie: the traveller's time is scaled locally relative to this arc length (``proper time'').

I think I get it. It's not just a matter of a different way to think about it. The experiments (muon decay rates, atomic clocks on planes, ...) where the rate of events when you have motion involved are scaled this way show that the event arc length is the more fundamental concept, and the local concepts of time (or length) measured separately are only approximate.

What is the difference between proper time and arc length in the context of relativity?

Proper time is the time experienced by an object or observer moving through space-time, taking into account the effects of gravity. Arc length, on the other hand, is the distance traveled by an object or observer in space-time. In relativity, these two concepts are related by the spacetime interval equation, which takes into account the effects of both time and space.

How does the theory of relativity explain the concept of proper time?

The theory of relativity explains that time is not absolute, but rather depends on the observer's frame of reference and the effects of gravity. Proper time takes into account the amount of time experienced by an observer or object moving through space-time, and is used to calculate the time dilation effect predicted by relativity.

What is the significance of proper time in the theory of relativity?

Proper time is a fundamental concept in the theory of relativity, as it helps to explain the time dilation effect and how time is relative to an observer's frame of reference. It also plays a key role in the spacetime interval equation, which is used to calculate the relationship between time and space in the context of relativity.

How does the concept of arc length relate to the theory of relativity?

Arc length is used in the spacetime interval equation to represent the distance traveled by an object or observer in space-time. This distance is affected by the effects of gravity and the relative motion of the object or observer. In relativity, the concept of arc length is used to calculate the spacetime interval, which is a key component of the theory.

Can you give an example of how proper time and arc length are related in the theory of relativity?

One example that illustrates the relationship between proper time and arc length is the famous twin paradox. In this scenario, one twin stays on Earth while the other travels through space at high speeds. As a result, the traveling twin experiences less proper time due to time dilation, but travels a longer arc length due to their relative motion. This demonstrates how proper time and arc length are related through the spacetime interval equation.