How Do Angles Affect Momentum and Kinetic Energy in Physics Problems?

• Thread starter Ms June Day
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angles
In summary, the two 75.0 kg hockey players collide and stick together at an angle of 135° between their initial directions. The velocity after the collision can be determined by using the conservation of momentum equations for both the horizontal and vertical components. The answer should be the velocity in the x direction and velocity in the y direction. For the collision between a hammer and a nail, the kinetic energy acquired by the 11 g nail can be estimated using the formula KE = 0.5mv^2, with the initial kinetic energy being equal to the final kinetic energy due to the collision being approximately elastic.
Ms June Day

Homework Statement

Two 75.0 kg hockey players skating at 5.90 m/s collide and stick together. If the angle between their initial directions was 135°, what is their speed after the collision? (Let the motion of player 1 be in the positive x-direction and the motion of player 2 be at an angle of 135° measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis.)

also the answer is to be the velocity in the x direction, and the velocity in the y direction

Homework Equations

I've tried a bunch relating to momentum..

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using trig, but there must be and easier way that I'm missing

ONE MORE:
The collision between a hammer and a nail can be considered to be approximately elastic. Estimate the kinetic energy acquired by a 11 g nail when it is struck by a 550 g hammer moving with an initial speed of 4.9 m/s.

I know that KE = .5mv^2 and that this is elastic, therefore the initial KE must equal the final KE. I got 2.4, which seems close, but still incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the hockey question, do use trig. Break the velocities for both players into vertical and horizontal components.

For the player going in the x-direction: p_x = mv

For the other player: p_x = -mvcos45 and p_y = mvsin45

Also, remember that momentum is conserved for both the horizontal and vertical directions. Vertically,

mvsin45 = (m+m)v_after.

Do the same for the horizontal component. I've probably done too much as it is.

Angles can be tricky to work with, but with practice and understanding of the concepts, it will become easier. In this problem, we can use the law of conservation of momentum to solve for the final velocity of the two players. By setting up equations for the conservation of momentum in the x and y directions, we can solve for the final velocities in both directions. Using trigonometry, we can then find the magnitude and direction of the final velocity vector.

For the second problem, you are on the right track by using the conservation of kinetic energy. However, it seems like you may have made a mistake in your calculations. Double check your work and make sure you are using the correct units for mass and velocity. If you are still having trouble, try breaking down the problem into smaller steps and solving for the final velocity of the nail first, then using that to find the final kinetic energy. Keep practicing and you will get the hang of it!

1. Why do I struggle with understanding angles?

Angles can be difficult to understand because they involve both numbers and shapes. It requires a combination of mathematical concepts and spatial visualization skills, which can be challenging for some people.

2. How can I improve my understanding of angles?

Practice is key when it comes to understanding angles. Try drawing different types of angles, measuring them, and identifying them in real-life objects. You can also watch instructional videos or work with a tutor to improve your understanding.

3. What are the different types of angles?

There are four main types of angles: acute (less than 90 degrees), right (exactly 90 degrees), obtuse (more than 90 degrees but less than 180 degrees), and straight (exactly 180 degrees). There are also complementary angles (two angles that add up to 90 degrees) and supplementary angles (two angles that add up to 180 degrees).

4. How do I measure angles?

Angles are measured in degrees using a protractor. Place the center of the protractor on the vertex of the angle, align one side with the protractor's zero line, and read the number where the other side intersects with the protractor's scale.

5. Why are angles important?

Angles are used in many real-world applications, such as construction, navigation, and design. They are also fundamental in geometry and trigonometry, and understanding angles can help improve problem-solving and critical thinking skills.