Identical, interacting spin 1/2 particles

In summary, the conversation discusses the Hamiltonian for two identical, interacting spin 1/2 particles in 1D and the determination of the energy spectrum and corresponding eigenfunctions. The total energy is the sum of the eigenvalues of two Schroedinger equations, with one describing the center of mass and the other the relative harmonic quantization. The energy spectrum contains all finite energies greater than .5(hbar)(omega), with one continuum of energy added to the quantized part. The eigenstates take into account the spin characteristic and are typically proportional to the inner products of the spin states. Incorporating the spin into the total energy eigenfunctions is still being worked through.
sevensixtwo

Homework Statement

Given two identical, interacting spin 1/2 particles in 1D the Hamiltonian is:

H = (p1)^2/2m + (p2)^2/2m + (mw/2)*(x1-x2)^2(a) Determine the energy spectrum.
(b) Determine the corresponding eigenfunctions including spin state.

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like I've made decent progress here. Following the method in Griffiths' QM Problem 5.1, I've redefined variables, and then used separation of variables to write two Schro Eqns. One describes the center of mass of moving freely in space and another describes the relative harmonic quantization.

According to Griffiths, the total E is the sum of the eigenvalues of these two equations. Then to answer part (a) I've said that the energy spectrum contains all finite energies greater than .5(hbar)(omega). I believe this is correct since the total two particle system moves freely in space and that aspect of the total E should not be quantized. Then I just add one continuum of energy which can be zero or greater to the (n + .5)(hbar)(omega) from the quantized part. Does anyone agree/disagree with me?

Now, for part (b) I am a little confused. Following from my separation of variables solution, the total wave function is just the product of the solutions to each Schro Eq. I have the harmonic oscillator functions. What is the wave function of a free particle? Is it just a Dirac delta?
Also, I am trying to work through Griffiths to figure out how to incorporate the spin into the total energy eigenfunctions. Any input here would really help a lot.

Thanks! Greatly appreciative!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The eigenstates need to take the spin characteristic into account and will be of the form (harmonic oscillator)*(spin state). Even without the harmonic potential these particles wouldn't be truly "free" because they are constrained by the Pauli Exclusion Principle.

Typically spin eigenvalues are proportional to the inner products of the spin states, though I forget exactly...

---------------------------
theUndergrad

http://www.theUndergraduateJournal.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are identical, interacting spin 1/2 particles?

Identical, interacting spin 1/2 particles are particles that have the same properties and interact with each other through the fundamental force of electromagnetism.

2. How do spin 1/2 particles differ from other types of particles?

Spin 1/2 particles have a unique characteristic called spin, which is a measure of their intrinsic angular momentum. Unlike other particles, spin 1/2 particles have a spin of either 1/2 or -1/2, giving them distinct properties and behavior.

3. What is the significance of spin in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, spin plays a crucial role in determining the behavior and interactions of particles. It is also closely related to the concept of angular momentum, which is conserved in many physical systems.

4. Can identical, interacting spin 1/2 particles be distinguished from each other?

No, identical, interacting spin 1/2 particles are indistinguishable from each other. This means that they cannot be individually tracked or labeled, and their properties can only be described in terms of their collective behavior.

5. How are identical, interacting spin 1/2 particles used in scientific research?

Identical, interacting spin 1/2 particles are used in various fields of research, including quantum mechanics, condensed matter physics, and nuclear physics. They are also studied in experiments involving superconductors, semiconductors, and other materials to understand their behavior and properties at a microscopic level.