Calculating Centripetal Force on a Child Riding a Ferris Wheel

In summary, a 40kg child on a Ferris Wheel with a radius of 9m rotates 4 times per minute. The angular velocity is 0.419 rads/sec, tangential velocity is 3.77m/sec, and centripetal acceleration is 1.58m/sec^2. At the bottom, the force exerted by the seat on the child is N = m*g + m*v^2/r, while at the top it is N = m*g - m*v^2/r. These equations are based on the fact that force is equal to mass times acceleration (F = m*a).
leisiminger
A 40kg child takes a ride on a Ferris Wheel that rotates 4 times each minute and has a radius of 9m.

I firgured that angular velocity is .419 rads/sec
I figured that tangential velocity is 3.77m/sec
I figured that centripetal acceleration is 1.58m/sec^2

Questions
a)What force in N does the seat exert on the child at the lowest point of the Ferris wheel?

b)What force in N does the seat exert on the child at the highest point of the Ferrish Wheel? Keep in mind that radially inward in the positive direction

Physics news on Phys.org
leisiminger said:
A 40kg child takes a ride on a Ferris Wheel that rotates 4 times each minute and has a radius of 9m.

I firgured that angular velocity is .419 rads/sec
I figured that tangential velocity is 3.77m/sec
I figured that centripetal acceleration is 1.58m/sec^2

Questions
a)What force in N does the seat exert on the child at the lowest point of the Ferris wheel?

b)What force in N does the seat exert on the child at the highest point of the Ferrish Wheel? Keep in mind that radially inward in the positive direction

Draw a force diagram at the bottom and the top.

F = m*a - so whatever acceleration the mass is experiencing should translate to the seat shouldn't it?

i figure for the bottom its
N= mg +mv^2
-------------
r

and the top would be

N= mg - mv^2
----------------
r

leisiminger said:
i figure for the bottom its
N= mg +mv^2
-------------
r

and the top would be

N= mg - mv^2
----------------
r

I think that's right, but your post displays unclearly.

N = m*g + m*v2/r

So if that is your first one and similarly for the second ... yes.

What is the definition of angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the measure of how quickly an object rotates or moves about a central point, usually measured in radians per second.

How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

While linear velocity measures how quickly an object moves in a straight line, angular velocity measures how quickly an object rotates around a central point.

What factors affect the angular velocity of a Ferris wheel?

The angular velocity of a Ferris wheel is affected by the radius of the wheel, the weight of the cars and passengers, and the amount of force applied to turn the wheel.

How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angle (in radians) by the change in time. It can also be calculated by multiplying the rotational speed (in revolutions per minute) by 2π.

Why is angular velocity an important concept in physics and engineering?

Angular velocity is important because it helps us understand the motion of objects that rotate or move in a circular path, such as gears, wheels, and planets. It also plays a crucial role in engineering, as it is used to design and analyze machines and structures that involve rotational motion.